Project Space Shuttle Cygnus

Sierra719

X-71 Pilot
Reaction score
U mentioned the lore behind the "Project Cygnus" as a joint Project between US and Brazil (correct me if I'm wrong) u plan on adding a US flag? other then that it looks great. Let me get the straight first, Launch is not a vertical launch? I'm confused on that part :idk:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Launch operation will use the winged carrier, that will carry the spacecraft until the altitude of 65km, and then will separate. Finally the auxiliary boosters will work, sending the spacecraft to the LEO.
And yes, it's a joint project between US and Brazil, the Carrier is american and the Shuttle is Brazilian, the USA flag will be in the Carrier and in the Payloads...

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Today I took a break, but I'm working now on the model, correcting some bugs and creating new things. The model is almost ready. Now I need to create only the Landing Gears, update somethings and create the VC... Today I worked in the Payload Bay:
picture.php

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sierra719

X-71 Pilot
Reaction score
Love it, When will we see a test flight? or is it not air/space worthy yet? Can't wait it will be like Columbia again... the 1st launch not the sad tragedy.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe next week... I wanna fly with it too...

---------- Post added Jan 25th, 2012 at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was Jan 24th, 2012 at 10:06 PM ----------

OK, today was a great day, I'll keep working today, but now I created the payload of the first mission of the Cygnus. The mission is called CTS-1 (Cygnus Transportation System-1), and will carry an american pallet and four GAS bottles. Here is a screenshot:
picture.php

I loved the pallet, I don't know why...
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Oh! I noticed the distorced texture of the pallet, but I fixed it!

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Love it !
Are we going to have a VC with this ( or might it be possible to use the shuttle fleet VC ).
Can't wait to do a test flight.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a question! What should be the payload of the CTS-2 mission? A station Module, a lunar mission component, a spacecraft or maybe a spacelab?

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Personally I like the "SpacehAb" type of cargo for long duration missions ( Moon maybe) with a research pallet behind it. :cheers:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But the CTS-2 is just the second mission, so I think about a Lunar lander with a return capsule. I'll model it right now!

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Hi! When I tried to run the almost ready mesh using the spacecraft3.dll, Orbiter closes suddenly!! And I'm not very much motivated. Now I don't know what to do!!! If I remake a new set of meshes or if I give a small break and restart the project! A motivation would be good, and a break too!!

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Here's some motivation: go Felipi! You can do it! Show NASA how it's done!
You're better than them! :thumbup:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:) Yes, I'm going to remake a new set of meshes, and not so fast. I'll find all the bugs and solve them in each phase, and not only create everything and test it! Thanks! I'll start tomorrow!

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
:) Yes, I'm going to remake a new set of meshes, and not so fast. I'll find all the bugs and solve them in each phase, and not only create everything and test it! Thanks! I'll start tomorrow!

Actually, I could have been your modeller or co-modeller, freeing you up to some more coding :)
But, since I'm already overloaded, I can't. But I can still consult you with modelling, should you want to! :tiphat:

~Take care, Oz.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Don't know if I correctly understood what you said above Felipi, but when it crashed in Orbiter that can't be due to the mesh.
It sounds like an error in the ini file, a remake of meshes would be a waste of time in my opinion, they already look great! :thumbup:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, but I don't liked them, like in the payload bay, they're cylindrical, and not like a box. With this cylindrical PB, the aft section can't join with the PB, a recreation of the model would be amazing! I can create more details, make several corrections and correct texturization problems... And I can do it really fast!

---------- Post added Jan 30th, 2012 at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was Jan 29th, 2012 at 05:52 PM ----------

Hey, OK, I'll use the old meshes and update what I don't like! This will be faster! Now I'll show my new Lunar lander, it's very simple, now I will create the ladders, the hatch and the landing gears. Here is the Multi-Purpose Lunar Lander = MPLL. It can transport cargos and crew to a lunar base or to a lunar space station:
picture.php

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

hey, I was making some tests. The problem is with the mesh. I used a vessel cfg that I used with other creations. When I put the Cygnus mesh in the cfg file and create the vessel i the Orbiter scenario, OK. But if I change the focus to the vessel, it crashes. Now I'm stressed and I will take a break this week, but I'll comeback maybe in the next friday with more updates! The project is still going!!!! Any idea, comments or anything, post here! I'm still reading and replying!

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Hey, I'm recreating the Shuttle Cygnus right now! It's now or never!!!! And I need help of some modelers! How to create the strange front section of the Space Shuttle? It's cylindrical in the flightdeck and looks like a box under the flight deck. How can I create it?

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Hey, I'm recreating the Shuttle Cygnus right now! It's now or never!!!! And I need help of some modelers! How to create the strange front section of the Space Shuttle? It's cylindrical in the flightdeck and looks like a box under the flight deck. How can I create it?

Give me [a glass of beer :lol:], a decent 3-view image of it, preferably with cross-sections so I see it better, I'll create it in no-time in Blender. :tiphat:

I have some free time on my hands so I think I could create the nose for you! :)
Or I could create the entire thing, but don't rely on that one too much!

~Oz.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh! Thanks! The nose is enough, I'll create more diagrams now! And please, convert the files to .3ds format!

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

picture.php

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Oh! Thanks! The nose is enough, I'll create more diagrams now! And please, convert the files to .3ds format!

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

picture.php

Those are in a correct scale relative to each other, right?
I'll do it tomorrow, it's 22:00 already here.

~Take care, Oz.