Space shuttle truly reusable?

joiz

Reaction score
this was a little idea i had: how bout using something like UMMU to make a space shuttle style craft but thats fully reusable, the boosters and orbiter can then be assembled in a UMMU VAB so u can "EVA" the shuttle that has been "assembled" in the VAB once u recover all the boosters so u can use the shuttle again after u land. VAB would also have a fuel supply for shuttle, great for some of the things made by greg burch for example.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I believe the SSU is aiming for this in the long run...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I believe the SSU is aiming for this in the long run...

Thank you for saying in the long run... it is not sure WHEN it will be possible to fly two missions of the same Shuttle Orbiter without stopping Orbiter. You can say, it will happen in the distant future until we know how to have this.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Well i meant in an orbiter simulation aspect, would a new ET magically appear after exiting the VAB?

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
uhm.. shouldn't ET be transported on ship to KSC then :)
What about planes for crew and obligatory astro-van?

Seriously, so I don't think such detalisation is really necessary (that's too mych work, takes to long and nothig flies into space all that ime :).

Of course, if it was some GIANT mission planning - mission realisation - add-on, possibly with funds management, possibly multiplayer (not necessary real-time). Then it's another thing.. But that's project is even more unreal than Soyuz spacecraft with detailed subsystems and working VC.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well i meant in an orbiter simulation aspect, would a new ET magically appear after exiting the VAB?

No, it gets constructed out of bits and bytes. What did you expect? ;)

Can you code C++? If you would like to have a really complex processing, you can implement it yourself. I am sure you can even get graphics.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
No i can't code C++ (yet), and neither am I requesting any form of complex processing. But imagine following scenario:

Shutte launches, jettisons SRB Et yadayada (you know how it's done). SRB are recovered, taken into VAB (where they, presumably, despawn) shuttle deorbits lands at KSC, taken into VAB, you press funny button, new launch ready shuttle pops out.

However, the ET jettisoned from the previous launch, would IRL have burned up in the atmosphere, but it won't (i presume) in orbiter, and will crash land somewhere.

If i launch again, i will jettison yet another ET, i was thinking, perhaps, after a while, all these ETs might affect performance D:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
However, the ET jettisoned from the previous launch, would IRL have burned up in the atmosphere, but it won't (i presume) in orbiter, and will crash land somewhere.

You presume wrong. :beach:

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Ooh, nifty :D

On a whole different account, I have never really understood SSU (whack me with a stick and call me stupid if you so wish), there are Panels mentioned in the checklist, but are these part of the MFD, or the VC?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

On a whole different account, I have never really understood SSU (whack me with a stick and call me stupid if you so wish), there are Panels mentioned in the checklist, but are these part of the MFD, or the VC?
They're actual panels in the VC.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Panels are ALWAYS in the VC. The MFD "displays" are called major modes or (incorrectly) OPS (because of the key pressed for changing to them)

The first character of the panel code gives you an idea where it is:
F Forward, where the majority of the MFDs called MDUs are.
R Right, to the right side of the pilot seat.
L Left, to the left side of the commander seat
C Center, between pilot and commander
O Overhead, above pilot and commander
A Aft workstation

See this image as orientation aid:
Flightdeck%20Panel%20Locator.png

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
maybe we need an ET that actually disintegrates on re-entry. that should be easy enough I'd imagine...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
maybe we need an ET that actually disintegrates on re-entry. that should be easy enough I'd imagine...

It is not too hard, we just don't do it right now. We can for example use a improved version of my Mayfly.dll for creating self-deleting and optionally fragmentating debris.

joiz

Reaction score
well when i suggested a fully reusable shuttle i also meant we could have a completely new design with reusable stages everywhere, it would also be fun to have SRB collector boats (or their equivalent if there are any SRBs in this "shuttle of the future")

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Panels are ALWAYS in the VC. The MFD "displays" are called major modes or (incorrectly) OPS (because of the key pressed for changing to them)

The first character of the panel code gives you an idea where it is:
F Forward, where the majority of the MFDs called MDUs are.
R Right, to the right side of the pilot seat.
L Left, to the left side of the commander seat
C Center, between pilot and commander
O Overhead, above pilot and commander
A Aft workstation

See this image as orientation aid:
*Hugeass picture, I reckoned it was too big to quote*

Awright, that relieves my confusion, cheers mush