Project Space Shuttle Vessel

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Release Tuesday is here!!! :hailprobe:

Somewhat later than expected, but SSV v1.8 has now been released! https://github.com/GLS-SSV/SSV/releases/tag/v1.8
The big item is an improved ODS and control panels, plus an implementation of the 1001 relays that controlled docking and undocking, which improves the "docking experience". Rounding off the package, there are also some small mesh corrections, improved scenarios and documentation.

Work on v2.0 will now return to full throttle, with the removal of the MDU stuff from the GPCs, leaving the display logic there independent of the MDUs, and eventually CRTs.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would it be possible to incorporate a damper for "nervousness" of the A2 LINE OF SIGHT RATES display? Also, it seems like the RR half of the Ku band system doesn't save/load a tracked target, forcing you to redo the initial two steps of the KU OPS cue card of the RNDZ FDF to reacquire the target every time you re enter the scenario.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Would it be possible to incorporate a damper for "nervousness" of the A2 LINE OF SIGHT RATES display?
The needles are already calmed down... but it's possible to improve that, at the cost of responsiveness.

Also, it seems like the RR half of the Ku band system doesn't save/load a tracked target, forcing you to redo the initial two steps of the KU OPS cue card of the RNDZ FDF to reacquire the target every time you re enter the scenario.
This area is a bit more fundamental, and is unlikely to see any work until after v2.0, when changes will be made to have the antenna connected to the GPC.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The needles are already calmed down... but it's possible to improve that, at the cost of responsiveness.

You could implement a infinite impulse response filter there, these are very easy to implement and can act as a low pass filter to reduce the amount of clutter, without a cost at response times.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not what I am seeing:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's improved ISS Radar Test scenario which has the orbiter properly on the R-BAR at 600 ft rather than the weird offset that the original has.

Attachments

• ISS Radar Test.scn
    32.9 KB · Views: 2

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi,

I would need to be able to compile this project to debug the issue with moving docking port while docked. I get a lot of errors like "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Orbitersdk.h': No such file or directory". Do I need to install the project in some specific location or edit a configuration file somewhere ?

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi,

I would need to be able to compile this project to debug the issue with moving docking port while docked. I get a lot of errors like "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Orbitersdk.h': No such file or directory". Do I need to install the project in some specific location or edit a configuration file somewhere ?
Hi!
The project should be located in the Orbiter base directory, and the code will be in the "Orbitersdk\Space Shuttle Vessel" folder. The module dlls will end up in the correct folders when building.
OS4 or 5 is needed, and the lib and header file will need to be moved to the Orbitersdk folder structure.
Also, use the "newOSFS" branch, as that is the one with the changes for the new Orbiter.
For docking, use the "Space Shuttle Vessel\Historic missions\STS-126\STS-126 docking with ISS Nov 16.scn" scenario.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I managed to compile SSV and reproduce the very fast spin shortly after docking. OS4 works but OS5 has some issues.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I managed to compile SSV and reproduce the very fast spin shortly after docking. OS4 works but OS5 has some issues.
Shouldn't all of the OS specific code be replaced with their XRSound equivalents given the closed source nature of OS and the fact that there's no need for it anymore as XRSound now comes included with the base install of OpenOrbiter?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a modified ODS code for better docking. Only works with PR #445

Attachments

• ODS.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Hailprobe

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Here's a modified ODS code for better docking. Only works with PR #445
Thanks!
I didn't expect the "soft" vessel realignment, but it looks good. Sadly, the ring reaction to the docking forces is way too complex to handle, both the physics as well as the 6-degree of freedom ring animation, that's why I had absolutely nothing done for that...😅
I want to look at the changes with calm, and move the static variables into the class, but that should be it. Thanks again!

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It might be good idea to change the linear interpolation to hermite interpolation since it gives more natural feeling for a movement since we are dealing with heavy objects. With "herp" movement starts and ends slowly. With "lerp" movement is instant.

C++:
VECTOR3 herp(VECTOR3& A, VECTOR3& B, double x)
{
    x = max(0, min(1, x));
    double y = x * x * (3.0 - 2.0 * x);
    return A * (1.0 - y) + B * y;
}

double fS = 1.0 - fSettleTimer / 5.0;               
VECTOR3 dir = herp(sdock_dir, DOCKING_PORT_DIR, fS);
VECTOR3 rot = herp(sdock_rot, DOCKING_PORT_ROT, fS);
VECTOR3 ref = herp(sdock_ref, DockPos, fS);