General Question Space station building problem

DutchPlayer

Reaction score
Hi there!

Yesterday I downloaded the XR-5 payload- Dragonfly add-on. I started the scenario and loaded the Dragonfly with some space station blocks. (BTW this is not the problem)

The problem is when I undock the Dragonfly from a spacestation block, it pushes the dragonfly AND the block. The block is floating away from the XR-5 and the Dragonfly. That makes it impossible to put a another block to it.

Anyone suggestions??

Kind regards,

Dutchplayer

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is intended, and realistic behaviour. Station-building with Dragonfly is quite a challenge.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, conservation of impulse.

You generally select one module as reference and then attach all other modules, even if the orbit changes a bit.

DutchPlayer

Reaction score
Ok, I understand. But if want to dock the Delta Glider IV or the XR-2, will the space station also pushed away? If that's true mine space station's orbit will change every undock.

What stands above will not happen by the ISS, the vessel will be pushed away from the station, right?

Add-on used: (if you wanna know wich add-on I use to make one)

Space Station Building blocks 4.1B

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, I understand. But if want to dock the Delta Glider IV or the XR-2, will the space station also pushed away? If that's true mine space station's orbit will change every undock.

Yes.

What stands above will not happen by the ISS, the vessel will be pushed away from the station, right?

The ISS will also get a small push. The ISS gets the same impulse during undocking as your spacecraft, but the ISS usually weights more.

If the Space Shuttle with 100 tons undocks from the 400 ton ISS at 20 millimeters per second, the ISS will change its velocity by 5 mm/s. (Broadly said).

Not much, but a bit.

DutchPlayer

Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much. I will do the first steps with a RMS.

Thank all!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ideally, impulse should be, er, impulsed when a vessel docks, as well, but this does not happen in Orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ideally, impulse should be, er, impulsed when a vessel docks, as well, but this does not happen in Orbiter.

Hasn't that been fixed in 2012?

Interceptor

Reaction score
How are you handling CoG shift in Dragonfly? I can't make it work.
Yeah, I have been trying to get to get the COG shift,and the doppler radars to work right for a while,but they won't in orbiter2010P1,so I don't use the Dragonfly any more. shame!:facepalm:

Last edited:

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Excuse this inexperienced question but why does the center of gravity matter in orbit where there is 0G?

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Excuse this inexperienced question but why does the center of gravity matter in orbit where there is 0G?

Just a guess, but I would imagine your CoG would change once docked to a station module.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

There isn't such a thing as 0G. In Earth orbit you are in micro gravity, you are still experiencing the full gravitational force of Earth but you are going fast enough to counter it.

CoG matters because when you fire thrusters or undock that impulse has to go through the CoG. If the CoG is not known then when you undock using something like a DG or an XR-2 rather than moving backwards in a straight line you may find yourself in a pitch over as well.

Now, that effect can be useful if it's what you've intended otherwise it can be very unexpected and confusing.