Project Space tugs

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is my current addon project. I've really been playing around and trying to mod Orbiter from the start, but I've started to take this seriously.

The basic idea is a cargo ferry from Earth surface-to-LEO, with a little wiggle room (The Lifter). Derived from this is an orbital tug, used for injection burns, etc (The Orbital).

The basic tug would not land on other bodies. Instead, a rugged vehicle, fueled with local rescources will transfer the cargo to the surface.

Both the Lifter and Orbital will be unmanned, and will not carry passengers. There are ships such as the XR2 for crew transfer.
These are cargo vessels.

Both are based on the Deltaglider's "magic" engines., which I have envisioned as Gas Core Nuclear Rockets, incorperating "unobtainium" construction and materials for high performance.

Modelling is coming along, slowly... :coffee:
I am new to modelling, so she won't be stunner like the XR2 or the S3 Hyperdart. Very simple, utilitarian.

I intend to start off in Spacecraft3, but I really want scenario editor compatibility, so after I have everything under control, I'll start coding a DLL.

The project is still very open at this stage. I'd appreciate feedback and suggestions, especially with the name, which is already taken.

I'll try to post some screenshots soon, I am new to attachments and am a bit tired after driving back from holiday at the coast :beach:
EDIT:
How do I attach images? I've gotten a picture of the space tug lifter as my avatar, but I can't attach them here. :sos:

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, no such luck. :( I sent a PM to Tex.

EDIT: Uploaded the image to photobucket just fine, here is an image of the Lifter being modeled in Anim8or. Still not textured. Feedback is welcome.
SpacetugLifter.jpg

EDIT:
Here is a picture of the space tug Orbital in Anim8or. Still no fancy textures.
SpacetugOrbital.jpg

Last edited:

penlu

Reaction score
Call it LeO, for Lifter-Orbiter! Great job on it, too.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds good.

I originally thought of a Tanker variant as well, but I think I might just put a fuel container in the PLB.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What about: "Lunar Tug"??

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about: "Lunar Tug"??
Because the system is not only designed for lunar cargo alone.
There is another project I am working on, that will be a ISRU fueled lunar lander, which I have decided to call L4: Lunar Logistics Lander/Lifter.

The Orbital will be able to "fling" payloads, leaving a rocket stage to complete the ejection burn, like the Taurus in Wo2001.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This project is on hold, since my VC++ compiler is not working.
If anyone out there is willing to do the coding, PM me for details.