Request Spacecraft from several low budget movies

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I digging around for some new (ish) paper models, I came across the Perry Rhodan Stardust.

I don't know about the whole rocket stack, but the shuttle itself might be pretty cool.

Stardust-Modell3.jpg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of the old 50s era stuff like Destination: Moon? That one's actually not completely absurd, although some of the other stuff out there was awful, like Conquest of Space and Rocketship XM. All three of these had atomic rockets which were, for the day, based on real life ideas.

Destination-moon-luna_8877.jpg

Conquest of Space is a pretty awful script and story, but some of the space vehicles are very cool and kind of realistic, including the wheel station, presumably nuclear-powered, and the other space vehicles:

2073487191_f6e6924275.jpg

Rocketship XM was just ridiculous, but atomic rockets are atomic rockets after all. Any addon for this stuff has to come with launch site scenery that includes 1950s cars and guys in lab coats and thick glasses:

3.jpg

Graham2001

Reaction score
As a slight break from the spacecraft here are a couple of shots of the Mission Insignia from the 1975 film "Stowaway to the Moon" (Before anyone asks, yes, that is Pete Conrad in the first shot...)

If I can figure out where they were supposed to have landed I might be able to whip up a NASSP scenario, to which this patch would be a good thing to include in the readme.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
2 spacecraft from "Pan Kleks w kosmosie" . Polish-Czechoslovakian sci-fi-family-adventure production from 1988.

Voltan 2
1-F-2097-15-800x800.jpg

1-F-2097-14-800x800.jpg

voltan2.jpg

and Argo 14-17
argo14-17.jpg

Graham2001

Reaction score
Back when I started this thread, I included photographs of a rather impressive model spacestation that appeared in two low budget 'direct to dvd' action films called "Fallout" and "Memorial Day".

I've now found a third appearance of the model in another 'direct to dvd' film entitled "Scorpio One" and for this film, they added escape pods...!

Approximate dimensions can be gauged from the space station model. A screenshot showing a space shuttle docked to the station taken from "Fallout" is in the original post of this thread.

Graham2001

Reaction score
Looks like an Apollo CM, no?

It may have started out it's life that way. In the later two films there is a modified Apollo SM playing the role of an orbital nuke in one and an orbital laser cannon in the other.

Still I'd love to see someone tackle that space-station. Footage of it has appeared in (to my knowledge) at least four 'direct-to-dvd' films, which I think makes it worthy of an appearence in Orbiter.

Though whoever does has to come up with a better way to dock space shuttles to it than the film-makers did.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It may have started out it's life that way. In the later two films there is a modified Apollo SM playing the role of an orbital nuke in one and an orbital laser cannon in the other.

When making models for movies it was common to go to the nearest hobby store, buy some kits, and then "kitbash" the parts together to create a cool-looking spacecraft that looks almost like real hardware. I'm guessing that the lower the budget, the less time and effort went into the kitbashing and you wind up with something that looks all too familiar.

These days even cheap films get CGI, so a low budget means a unique, but awful and cartoonish-looking vehicle instead...

Graham2001

Reaction score
From another 'Made for TV' film that I'm surprised has not been plundered.

Starflight (Hypersonic Aircraft)

'NASA' Space Suit & Universal Airlock

The whole film, which is worth watching for a glimpse of what might have become "Airport'82" had history been a lot different is linked below:

Starflight One

Graham2001

Reaction score
Looks like Google has finally got around to removing the two films in the previous posts.

Anyway, here is another 'made for tv' film from the 1980s that I am again surprised has not been plundered for spacecraft.

Murder in Space (1985)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Worst movie I ever saw.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Did anyone remember "Salvage 1"? It would be interesting a scenario reproducing this serie's plot.

spacecraft_salvage_craft.jpg

source.

I wanna build a space ship. Go to the Moon. Salvage all the junk that's up there. Bring it back and sell it.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Did anyone remember "Salvage 1"? It would be interesting a scenario reproducing this serie's plot.

spacecraft_salvage_craft.jpg

source.

Found on the Orbit Hanger!

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2119"]Vulture[/ame]

:tiphat:

dehat42

Reaction score
From another 'Made for TV' film that I'm surprised has not been plundered.

Starflight (Hypersonic Aircraft)

Since I don't have cable or satellite TV, I have all of the "extra" channels that the local broadcast stations have added (like Antenna TV and MeTV). One that was recently added is Comet, and they were showing the heck out of Starflight One the first 2 weeks we got the channel in our area (like back-to-back and 2-3 times a week).