Question Spacecraft3.dll, max2msh, and LABEL

Drake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone know if spacecraft3.dll can specify animated parts by the LABEL tag or does it need the group number?

And if so, the max2msh 1.29 beta says that it exports mesh names as LABEL tags, but none of the names for my structures are being output. Do I have to convert everything to a mesh in gmax to get this to work?

Thanks in advance!!!

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
You need the group number for SC3. Count each group from the top starting with zero. Use the find tool to skip to the header part of each group.

If labels aren't working out you can identify each group by its specific material. (only works if the part you are animating has its own material, or doesn't share the same material with many other parts.)

I don't have experience with max2msh, but the anim8tor converter exports labels properly.

Drake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Eagle - that's what I needed to know.

Dangit, I have over 500 objects. To save counting, I moved all the animated ones to the front (except for the transparent ones that I moved to the back). It took me a few tries before I figured out it started with zero:embarrassed: But it would be easier to use LABELs for sure.

It would be nice if the mesh converters added an incremental count so you could search to find the ones you wanted to animate and then have the object number right there. max2msh doesn't do this anyway...

I must be miscounting somewhere. Although it is amusing to watch bits rotate that were never intended to, I'll have to figure it out.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
With mesh who have more than houndred groups convert your mesh to object with msh2obj...than with 3d browser you could see all groups and thay number as thay are in the mesh.
This method I use,work fine to me...

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I must be miscounting somewhere. Although it is amusing to watch bits rotate that were never intended to, I'll have to figure it out.
As soon as you get everything animating perfectly, its time to update your mesh. :p

Drake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As soon as you get everything animating perfectly, its time to update your mesh. :p

Oh man, don't I know! But I just HAD to see it moving, you know? And now the supports on the same wheel rotate in opposite directions.:hmm:

Thanks for the advice liber! What do you mean to use for a 3-D browser? I just downloaded blender to see how it works - do I use that or am I missing something? I think that opens obj files...

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
What do you mean to use for a 3-D browser?[/QUOTE]

I ment something with you view your 3d file...I got one old 3D Exploration.

Here how it's look.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
You should be able to use the meshc utility (in Orbitersdk/utils) to find the index of labelled mesh groups. meshc creates a header file that contains group indices as constants for all named mesh groups, where the constant name is derived from the label name. meshc is primarily intended to produce code that can be included in vessel code (it makes the actual code independent of the absolute group numbers), but you can simply use it to identify group numbers for SC3. Just remember to re-run meshc whenever you modify the mesh. (for vessel code, this can be automated as part of the build process).

Also, if you have a very large number of mesh groups, it is a good idea to merge all groups with the same textures and materials (as long as they are not part of different animations). Reducing the number of groups can significantly improve performance.

Drake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ooh, I'll try all that. Thanks Dr. M!

And thanks for the simulator, of course!:cheers:

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
I also only use SC3 cause i cant write dll's and i have found that with my two projects that i must hold off all animations until the MESH is COMPLETELY fiished before i try to write the ini to animate it.i can't tell you how many times i have retyped the object numbers in my SC3 animation ini files after i made changesd to the model and the modeling software or exporter completely dinged up the order of object in the mesh thus changing the object numbers in the model which produces the most amazingly screwed up animations!--not to mention completely losing the object label after i spent hours typing them in.i think its because GMax and 3DS Max need a slightly better export tool than mesh to max or 3ds to msh.it can be very frustratings as my models have around 170 and 150 parts each with many of them animated.(they will soon be ready for release as soon as i once again rewrite the ini files).the modeling programs are great and are far superior to anim8tor and ac3d and others i have tried.i just have to be careful to make sure the model is DONE! before writing the ini's.anyway good luck with your projects.

TonyZ

P.S. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Vinka about the SC3 file itself and possibly getting the sourced code or at least suggesting updates to it... maybe SC4??
If so and if he is willing i would suggest a couple of new features including specifying mesh objects by label as well as number and also have an absolute rotation value function so you could specify a particular direction relative to the nose of the ship to turn to for any part in any axis just to name two.