Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 CRS-16

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Well, another mission success for SpaceX, but the 1st stage had a bad day and didn't make it back to LZ-1. Hydraulic pump stalled and the stage soft landed in the water just off shore. Hard to believe, but the last landing failure was nearly 2.5 years ago.

It appears that the stage landed intact and was still transmitting telemetry. Might be recoverable after a fashion, at least for diagnosis.

Musk is saying if the stage is not so damaged as to need retirement, it might be used on an internal SpaceX mission, maybe Starlink.

Amphibious reusable rockets. :huh:

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Stabilized footage of water touchdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=1l0712ILwN4&feature=youtu.be

And it is intact and floating:

[ame="https://twitter.com/DaneDrefke/status/1070405921329815552"]Dane Drefke on Twitter: "Currently drifting south offshore.… "[/ame]

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Although the landing was officially unsuccessful, I think it's really cool if they can salvage the stage.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Forget that... did you see how hard the flight control software fought to save the vehicle? Now THAT's something to be proud of...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I believe that was ice.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Softer than a chute. :hmm:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah, but was the stage designed for an impromptu bath in saltwater just after engine shutdown?

I suspect that particular booster is going to wind up as scrap... or, with a little luck as a ground trainer for maintainers.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I think Musk spoke off-the-cuff. No way a booster that has spent >24 hours in ocean water will be reused. Sounds nice to say on Twitter, though.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Sure, the salt will be a problem and I guess that's the reason they land on land.

I wonder if the water landing was intentional as a failsafe or just luck.

Failsafe. The booster has to actively steer towards land so that, should a failure like this happen, the stage won't be a threat to people or property ashore.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just had the glorious sight of ISS blazing across the early evening sky, straight overhead, followed about a minute later by the much less bright Dragon. About 60deg visual separation, so roughly 400km between ISS and Dragon.:)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Some good photos of the first stage getting towed into Port Canaveral:

https://imgur.com/a/gcP3l5C

0j2JrAj.jpg

bicERUl.jpg

hndCaSS.jpg

0grSv2e.jpg

Interstage looks pretty trashed, but otherwise good shape. I am sure the engines are trashed and the engine bells are thermally stressed as all get out, never mind all of the surface corrosion. Still, pretty awesome to get it back and be able to pull it apart and diagnose what happened with the actual hardware.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Dragon arrival day!

Dragon was at the 10 meters holding point, but there is a ground issue. The crew was instructed to command Dragon to retreat back to the 30 meters point.

Next try is in about 45 minutes.

Modox

Reaction score
Great video - Falcon 9 booster landing in ocean with music from the "Interstellar".
The descent looks even more suspenseful and exciting this way :)