Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 launches Koreasat-5A 30 October 2017

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Another payload to orbit, another landing on a barge. Yawn. Ho hum.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-L7SWuCaUI"]SpaceX Falcon 9 launches Koreasat-5A & Falcon 9 first stage landing, 30 October 2017 - YouTube[/ame]

Seemed to get pretty fiery sitting on the barge. Some residual flames around the engine bells is to be expected, but there was some in the leg fairing recess up the side of the stage.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Y'know, five years ago, if you had called landing a rocket on a barge "ho-hum" around here, we'd probably have called you crazy.

Amazing how much things change. :thumbup:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The crazy thing is that if (when) they recover one more stage, their stage recovery rate will be 80% :huh: It's been 100% for launches within the last year or so.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Had to watch the replay on youtube. Fantastic! Any odds on the FH before years end?

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
The right hand video stream pic..
From 7947KPH to 7945KPH (03:11 into the video) the continuity switches..
Never seen a thermal thing like that before... needs some explanation :thumbup:

Last edited:

Traveller

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Switch of camera from one side (sun lit) to the other side (not lit) of the rocket. The bell starts to glow right before the switch. It is easier to see in the dark. It switches back at 3:22.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
The crazy thing is that if (when) they recover one more stage, their stage recovery rate will be 80% :huh: It's been 100% for launches within the last year or so.

And still 100% for landings at LZ-1, about half of which I have been fortunate enough to have seen in person. In person it never gets old. I'm still waiting to capture an LZ-1 landing on a crystal clear day with no clouds so that I can capture the entire flight of the first stage with no interruption. That and the Falcon Heavy first flight are the two highlights I'm really looking forward to the most.