Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 with 6 Orbcomm generation 2 satellites, July 14, 2014

hinagawa

Reaction score
Wait theres a launch going on?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
They say it's a NET 24 hours turn-around - tomorrow's launch window is 5:46 - 6:40 pm EDT (21:46 - 22:40 UTC).

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Not a betting guy, but I'll hazard a guess that it'll take them at least until Sunday to sort it out.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Press kit says they are going direct to a 615km x 750km orbit in ~10 mins - that's got to be a steep ascent profile. 1st stage up to 300km apogee at least, surely? Hope they get the issue fixed soon - I want to see how this ascent profile works! Good luck SpaceX.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Looks like they're going to try again today.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

SNC and the USAF have stated they're going to try again today, but no word from SpaceX on the vehicle status and the webcast time has yet to be updated.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

And they're pressing ahead per Stephen Clark.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Go for Launch Attempt Today
SpaceX and ORBCOMM are a go for launch today at 5:46 pm ET from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. There will not be a live webcast for this launch attempt, but we will provide updates as available.

:blink:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is this the fastest turn around after a scrub that SpaceX has EVER done?

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Go for Launch Attempt Today
SpaceX and ORBCOMM are a go for launch today at 5:46 pm ET from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. There will not be a live webcast for this launch attempt, but we will provide updates as available.

:blink:

Wait, is there a reason given why there would no live video from the launchpad?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Maybe they're not very confident it'll launch.

Even ULA has webcasts for their launches. I've never heard of a US launch going without video.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score

Even ULA has webcasts for their launches. I've never heard of a US launch going without video.

You think SpaceX don't got enough trust to believe today there wouldn't be launching the Falcon?

Sounds not positive if I must be honest.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, that explains the lack of a webcast. They didn't expect to launch! :p

Any idea what the next window is?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

For the US, there are only a handful in recent years - 1 or 2 Delta IIs and at least one Minotaur - but they are for NRO and DARPA etc. so understandable.

For purely commercial launches, I don't remember too many in recent years that don't have one. There are a few from the Chinese, maybe some from the Russians, but.......that's it.

Maybe they ran out of staff that could act as talking heads today? :rolleyes:

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
For the US, there are only a handful in recent years - 1 or 2 Delta IIs and at least one Minotaur - but they are for NRO and DARPA etc. so understandable.

For purely commercial launches, I don't remember too many in recent years that don't have one. There are a few from the Chinese, maybe some from the Russians, but.......that's it.

Maybe they ran out of staff that could act as talking heads today? :rolleyes:

The only reason I can think why SpaceX don't want to live broadcast the launch is the afraid idea that it would be scrubbed again today.

Looking to the weather don't helps also, so I don't would be shocked if there scrub it again today.

But well, we should rent a spy for broadcasting the launch still!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'm rooting pretty hard for a scrub, I've already fueled up the car tank for tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Oh great, this might actually launch today. T-0 pushed to the end of the launch window due to foul weather, that weather is moving south. Vehicle is in great shape.

Hope the weather remains awful, tomorrow I'll be able to watch this one and we'll get a webcast.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Scrub, scrub, scrub, scrub..
chan1large.jpg

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
SCRUB! Well that puts an end to the weirdest launch attempt I've ever seen...