Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 with 6 Orbcomm generation 2 satellites, July 14, 2014

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'm really hoping they stream it tomorrow. I mean, even ULA streams their launches.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What about problems the shuttle had after refueling a number of times. Do you really think they with attempt tomorrow?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What about problems the shuttle had after refueling a number of times. Do you really think they with attempt tomorrow?
I'm not aware of any "troubles after refueling a number of times" on the shuttle. Could you elaborate please?

There was a policy of not conducting three attempts in a row so as to give the Launch Team a chance to rest, especially if the counts were in the late hours. Once a scrub had been declared, a scrub/securing team would take over from the Launch Tema. Normally this would have not have been and issue due to the need to service the PRSD commodities, either LH2 or LOX. This was normally a 48hr scrub turnaround, longer if both the LH2 and LOX needed to be topped off.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Looks like they're giving it a shot tomorrow. There were apparently no issues with the vehicle during today's count, so that'll mean weather will be the main beef.

OG2 Mission 1 Update: June 21, 2014

Today's OG2 Mission 1 launch attempt has been scrubbed due to weather concerns. Both Falcon 9 and the ORBCOMM satellites are safe. We are targeting launch for tomorrow, Sunday, June 22 at 5:30 pm ET. We will continue to post updates as we get closer to launch.

This will either be my first SpaceX launch in person or the third time I've gone out to a SpaceX launch and had it scrub on me.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

Launch will be a four hour launch window this time. Clearly SpaceX is tired of the beautiful weather the "sunshine" state has to offer during the rainy season. This'll probably end up later in the window to allow thunderstorms to burn off. Had it been a four hour window today, it would have launched.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any "troubles after refueling a number of times" on the shuttle. Could you elaborate please?

There was a policy of not conducting three attempts in a row so as to give the Launch Team a chance to rest, especially if the counts were in the late hours. Once a scrub had been declared, a scrub/securing team would take over from the Launch Tema. Normally this would have not have been and issue due to the need to service the PRSD commodities, either LH2 or LOX. This was normally a 48hr scrub turnaround, longer if both the LH2 and LOX needed to be topped off.

I seem to remember that, towards the end of the flights, it was determined that after fueling and refueling, the foam may have loosened. Therefore, they were hesitant, if weather or anything else didn't look good for launch.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

There is actually a maximum fueling cycle count somewhere in the ET specifications - but it was much higher than the historic record number of launch attempts.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Party is back on! :thumbup:

Webcast
SpaceX is planning to live webcast the Orbcomm OG2 launch here starting at 2:16 pm PT/ 5:16 pm ET.

The launch window has slightly refined to 5:30 - 8:08 pm EDT (21:30 - 00:08 UTC) - unfortunately with such a big window the weather isn't co-operating with only 20% GO forecasted.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The weather won't cooperate with a T-0 time of 5:30pm, however there's a higher chance it will at the very end of the window as the thunderstorms will be burning off.

Expecting a scrub, hoping for a launch is my mood right now. Better grab an umbrella.
01-05-TMCO.gif

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope they keep the webcast for every launch.

NASA really knew how to put on a show when it was time to launch the Shuttle. They really did love their multi-day countdowns. SpaceX also knows how to put on a show, but not as much. Still entertaining, though.

There are launches like Ariane that I find boring as hell. They show the launch, but no on-board cams. If I wanted to see computer simulated image of the launch, I'd play Orbiter.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Launch scrubbed. Good thing I wasn't out the door yet.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

"Launch Update

Today's ORBCOMM launch attempt has been scrubbed to address a potential concern identified during pre-flight checks. The vehicle and payload are in good condition, and engineering teams will take the extra time to ensure the highest possible level of mission assurance prior to flight. The rocket will remain vertical on the launch pad with the next available launch opportunity targeting Tuesday, June 24th."

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
...and slipping into early July it seems.... :zzz:

OG2 Mission 1 Update: June 23, 2014
SpaceX is taking a closer look at a potential issue identified while conducting pre-flight checkouts during yesterday's countdown. SpaceX will stand down Tuesday, June 24 while our engineering teams evaluate further, which will also allow the Range to move forward with previously scheduled maintenance. We are currently targeting the first week of July and will work with the Range to confirm the next available launch opportunities.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This launch is jinxed. Reminds me of how painful it was trying to watch STS-127 get off the ground.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
NET July 14/15, no fault on the SpaceX end, all range maintenance related from what I understand.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'd imagine if they had gone today (was originally NET July 1) they'd have scrubbed.
GOES170020141821o8pru.jpg