Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 with 6 Orbcomm generation 2 satellites, July 14, 2014

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
And while the Dragon hasn't even reached the ISS, the next SpaceX launch is well into preparations! This launch will send the first batch of 6 2nd generation low Earth orbit communication satellites into orbit for Orbcomm, one of the world's biggest LEO-based satellite communication company, with their focus on object and asset tracking (as opposed to voice communications for the more famous Iridium and Globalstar). Build by Sierra Nevada Corporation (most famous for their Dreamchaser), these 100 kg satellites will provide a much needed boost in their service capacity after losing several satellites over the past few years. Another 11 of them will be launched late this year.

Apparently the Falcon 9 rocket for this launch has already arrived at the Cape some time ago, with the satellites starting to be trucked to the launch site from tomorrow. The launch is currently tracking sometime between May 17 and May 24.

Launch date: July 14, 2014

Launch window: 9:21 - 11:54 am EDT (13:21 - 15:54 UTC)

Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

Payload: 6 x Orbcomm G2 communication satellites

F9_orbcomm_logo.jpg

ORBCOMM_Prepares_for_OG2_Satellite_Launch_3-14-14-page-002.jpg

ORBCOMM_Prepares_for_OG2_Satellite_Launch_3-14-14-page-003.jpg

ORBCOMM_Prepares_for_OG2_Satellite_Launch_3-14-14-page-004.jpg

ORBCOMM_Prepares_for_OG2_Satellite_Launch_3-14-14-page-005.jpg

ORBCOMM_Prepares_for_OG2_Satellite_Launch_3-14-14-page-006.jpg

ORBCOMM_Prepares_for_OG2_Satellite_Launch_3-14-14-page-007.jpg

ORBCOMM_Prepares_for_OG2_Satellite_Launch_3-14-14-page-008.jpg

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Regarding the first stage for this mission, per Musk today:

Orbcomm 1st stage will attempt another water landing and will attempt the RTLS "boost-back" approach. Goal is to get within a mile of target zone.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like what SpaceX is doing and all, but the way their launches are always delayed 10th of May becomes 5th of October...

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I like what SpaceX is doing and all, but the way their launches are always delayed 10th of May becomes 5th of October...

We'll see. F9 and Orbcomm are actually at CCAFS and are in processing, and May 10 is earlier than the expected May 17-25 timeline. As the launches become more and more routine, I'd imagine the pace will start to kick up.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
If they're aiming for a May 10th attempt, we should be seeing the static firing sometime this upcoming weekend or earlier.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Launch date official:

OG2 Mission 1 Update: April 28, 2014

WE HAVE A LAUNCH DATE…The final two OG2 Mission 1 satellites arrived at Cape Canaveral on Saturday, April 26, and we continue our preparation for launch. Today, we are in the process of fueling the first two satellites, and the next four satellites will be fueled over the course of this week. Preparation is going well, and we are now able to support a launch date earlier than our last post. We have reserved a launch window for Saturday, May 10 between 9:39 am – 10:33 am EST at launch pad SLC-40 with a back-up date of the morning of Sunday, May 11. We are very excited that we are scheduled less than two weeks away from lift-off!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Regarding the first stage for this mission, per Musk today:

Orbcomm 1st stage will attempt another water landing and will attempt the RTLS "boost-back" approach. Goal is to get within a mile of target zone.

What are the differences between this attempt and what was executed on the previous F9 flight?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
From the wording it appear that during the previous launch the 1st stage only slowed down "a bit" in order to survive re-entry, while for this one they plan on actually boosting it back a bit. Would be interesting to hear where the target zone is and how far from the coast it actually is.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
What are the differences between this attempt and what was executed on the previous F9 flight?

As I understand it the prior test was a simple ballistic trajectory, It landed where it landed. This time a round they'' be trying to fly the stage to a specific location post-sep.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Some updates - still no change with respective to the launch date (although the launch window has been refined):

OG2_Mission_1_Photos_3.jpg

OG2_Mission_1_Photos_4.jpg

OG2_Mission_1_Photos_5.jpg

OG2_Mission_1_Photos_6-2.jpg

Weather should be pretty good for launch on May 10. :thumbup:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
And there's a good chance I'll be there (knock on wood) with a telephoto lens.

Anyone else hear an echo..? :p

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Looking for a static firing mid-day Thursday.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Man, it's a week early for me to see it. I'll be in the neighborhood the following weekend. Hoping the wife will let me make a visit to KSC.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My wife lets me go to KFC all the time ... oh sorry.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Weather forecasted to be 80% GO for a launch on Saturday.

You can assume that'll mean technical problems.

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-07-14 at 04:06 PM ----------

Patch and press release available.