SpaceX First Stage Propulsive landing Discussion

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be easier to float 90% of the way down on a parachute before doing that? Maybe a parafoil could be used if more control were necessary.

There aren't many places that you can land this thing in the area you'd be descending into. If I understand correctly the plan is to fly back to (roughly) the area of the launch pad. If they were launching out of Baikonur the chute might be a workable option.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There aren't many places that you can land this thing in the area you'd be descending into.

Agreed, a boost back to land is quite a distance to cover - it's an RTLS maneuver so will require a fair amount of energy.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There aren't many places that you can land this thing in the area you'd be descending into. If I understand correctly the plan is to fly back to (roughly) the area of the launch pad. If they were launching out of Baikonur the chute might be a workable option.

True, although launching out of a place like vandenberg wouldn't hurt, the only real reason that they want to land it is to A-not smash the hardware into the dirt, and B-not have the salt water corrode the engine bell in a water landing. So long as they can find the thing, where it lands would seem unimportant.

What an interesting idea there though, launching from Baiknour :hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Agreed, a boost back to land is quite a distance to cover - it's an RTLS maneuver so will require a fair amount of energy.

Not that much, after the second stage is gone. Still enough that calling for a return to launch site creates a strong performance reduction.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Not that much, after the second stage is gone. Still enough that calling for a return to launch site creates a strong performance reduction.

I suspect that's where the vast majority of the first stage's "up-rating" has gone.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I suspect that's where the vast majority of the first stage's "up-rating" has gone.

I would even expect the first stage to have lost some lot of performance by that maneuver.