News SpaceX Starship Mk. 1 Bulkhead Failure

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like the top bulkhead on the LOX tank failed during pressurization. Were they attempting a launch today?

EDIT: I wonder if they did their tank scaling right. For same flight pressure P, the applied load per unit length of weld or fastener line increases proportionally with the rocket body diameter. Starship is ~ 2.5 times the diameter of Falcon 9, indicating 2.5 the load per unit circumference.

IIRC the Falcon tank domes are friction stir welded, and the Starship ones...aren't?

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It also failed at the bottom.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yay, that looks ugly.

Maybe an issue with the weld design, its possible that the welds looked good when just pressure testing the tank and failed when cooled by doing tanking tests.

A part of the upper tank structure also buckled inside, which suggests some tension there.

Still no big issue, they could fix this in the next development cycle.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It also failed at the bottom.

Yes, with a long delay. Possibly caused by the rapid loss of pressure, not by the initial fault.

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Not sure, but I think that is the gas escaping down between the interior tank and the outer rocket skin.

That is also possible, it travelled only slightly faster than the cloud outside the rocket.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Yes, with a long delay. Possibly caused by the rapid loss of pressure, not by the initial fault.

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

That is also possible, it travelled only slightly faster than the cloud outside the rocket.

Around the 23 second mark you see a cloud that plummets rapidly down the side, indicating a significant volume of liquid was ejected and remained in big enough drops to fall quickly.

I presume that what you see at the bottom is similar: liquid falling through the gap between the stage and the skin and falling downward under gravity.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not sure, but I think that is the gas escaping down between the interior tank and the outer rocket skin.

I have no idea about the structure of that thing...
BTW, wasn't it established long ago that "integral tanks" are lighter? :shrug:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Hmmm... They did reposition the upper dome yesterday

They seriously repositioned it today :huh:

EDIT: Quick math with about 10 s hang time from explosion to when dome returned to elevation at top of rocket suggests it went up about 120 m or 400 ft above the top of the rocket.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
BTW, wasn't it established long ago that "integral tanks" are lighter? :shrug:

Yes, but it is a poor heat shield and heat insulation at the same time. And internal insulation, as the Saturn V used is also not too popular today.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Nothing to worry about :)

“The purpose of today’s test was to pressurize systems to the max, so the outcome was not completely unexpected,” said SpaceX in a statement.

Really don't know how to interpret this.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nothing to worry about :)

“The purpose of today’s test was to pressurize systems to the max, so the outcome was not completely unexpected,” said SpaceX in a statement.

Really don't know how to interpret this.

Well, if you are testing if the tank can withstand the pressure, there is of course the possibility that it does not do that. If you would be sure, that it will withstand the pressure - why are you testing it? ;)

HAL-9000

Reaction score
Meh.

I told y'all this thing was a flying trash can and a publicity stunt. Musk is never taking anyone to Mars in a "Starship."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Meh.

I told y'all this thing was a flying trash can and a publicity stunt. Musk is never taking anyone to Mars in a "Starship."

Quite a lot of testing effort for just a publicity stunt. :rofl:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The bulkhead fail makes me think these Starship prototypes are makeshift cobbled-together. Elon tweeted it failed when being pressurized to the max and this was not unexpected ...

In a cylindrical vessel the longitudinal welds are stressed double as high as the circumferential welds by internal pressure. As the failed weld is a circumferential one, this indicates a manufacturing problem rather than a design error.

Reasons could be bad welding quality. I would never do site welds on stainless steel without a proper shielding against wind and humidity. This ''we don't need no workshop, we build it outside in the open' strategy may backfire now. As far as I understand, the rings and bulkheads are pre-manufactured in the workshop, then stacked and welded on top of each other on site. Maybe they will reconsider their manufacturing procedure to improve the reliability of these site welds.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In a cylindrical vessel the longitudinal welds are stressed double as high as the circumferential welds by internal pressure. As the failed weld is a circumferential one, this indicates a manufacturing problem rather than a design error.

Of course it was - that is why you test. In the computer, the weld likely worked fine.

That has nothing to do in first place with "cobbled-together", but rather how the model fits to reality. Its a difference to simulate a complete perfect tank in the computer and to produce a long weld without a flaw.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I believe that the explosion is the result of constructing the Starship Mk1 in rush. There is nothing to be sad, there are other prototypes to be constructed. :)

Meh.

Flying trash? The failures are not always a curse, they teach us many lessons.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Meh.

This post is just absolutely inane and contributes nothing to the discussion. Why would SpaceX build multiple, full-flow staged combustion, methane-fueled rocket engines for a publicity stunt? The Raptor has to be one of the most complicated engines ever produced.