Launch News SpaceX's Historic First Reuse of a Falcon 9 First Stage with SES-10 - March 27, 2017

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Alright, this is the big one (at least until Falcon Heavy flies)! SpaceX will refly the F9-1021 booster, previously flown on the SpaceX CRS-8 mission, with the SES-10 satellite. F9-1021 will also likely again be attempting a landing on Of Course I Still Love You, and it'll be a challenging high velocity entry too. SpaceX has set a NET of March 27, 2017 from Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex-39A.

[ame="https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/842482961907892224"]Chris B - NSF on Twitter: "SpaceX has March 27 (Window 1658-2058 Eastern) *Range Approved* for the SES-10 launch on the historic Falcon 9R 1021 (re-)launch! https://t.co/HJRzD7sefh"[/ame]

25787998624_e1cb7b812f_b.jpg

(F9-1021 landing on Of Course I Still Love You after the CRS-8 mission in April 2016)

Last edited:

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
I'd preferred it if SpaceX had done it before they joined Nasa.. but none-the-less... about time, as they have to catch up with Blue Origin wrt reuse. :thumbup:

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Here's a closeup I took of the rocket a few hours before the launch of CRS-8:
26565754744_9cbb6ef1d8_k.jpg

Here's hoping F9-1021 makes it two for two.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice birthday present. Thanks SpaceX

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'd preferred it if SpaceX had done it before they joined Nasa.. but none-the-less... about time, as they have to catch up with Blue Origin wrt reuse. :thumbup:

A lot of things that confuse me about this statement. What Blue Origin did is pennies compared to what SpaceX is going to do (not saying that what Blue Origin did was insignificant). SpaceX's Falcon 9 is designed to launch payloads into orbit, whereas Blue Origin's booster is suborbital. As far as I'm concerned, Blue Origin is lagging behind SpaceX until they launch and reuse the New Glenn. Also, what do you mean before they "joined" NASA? SpaceX is not a part of NASA

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
ahhhhhh.. The innocence of the collusion of the Mars project.
Billions down the drain for maybe other undisclosed projects... yes ?? :cheers:

Look!! Mars is not going to happen.. probes Yes, but humans (without them dying of course) nada :thumbup:

Looking at reality as many other people are suggesting...
We're going nowhere (fast) until we come up with a new technology that enables easier space travel.
To put it plainly.. we're stuck in a Space-Rutt, with people like Nasa and SpaceX BSing us for more bucks, to do what ??
Looking at Nasa's Orion (thought this was common knowledge for 50 years already !!), SpaceX's manned launches... Lot's of Talk !

Sure it takes time with zero defect.. but no real proof yet??... Seen that somewhere before :)

With regard to the New Glenn.. a successful landing of those will put them way ahead of SpaceX on one blow.
I think they'll be more successful in this endeavor and will carry on to be a successful private enterprise.
SpaceX eventually will be swallowed up by Nasa's politics and will cease to exist, while Musk will move onto more lucrative ventures.
:)

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We get it, you hate SpaceX.

Now can we move on and talk about the re-use of this booster, now?

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
You're back on topic again :lol:

Being from a Technical/Engineering background all my life I think their overall approach to the project is totally wrong.

Politically the approach is correct.
- Popularist (this lost the recent elections)
- Viva USA
- Patriotism USA ( I despise any form of blind patriotism :hello:)

This tells me, in no uncertain terms, they're not up to the job of space travel.

Whereas Blue Origin is just getting on with the job without any political noise.
Yes.. I like this approach to technicalities

So what?

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

..about time, as they have to catch up with Blue Origin wrt reuse. :thumbup:

This all I said about SpaceX...

There's plenty background.. that doesn't need to be explored (and butchered again).. but if you want too :tiphat:
:lol:

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
They need to start painting tail numbers on these things so we can keep track of them, and get a stencil keeping score of the number of landings on each stage. And nose art individual to each stage.

bomber2_zps1439a6cd.jpg

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Col_klonk, whether or not you agree with SpaceX's methods and goals and why you think Blue Origin is better is off-topic. You are welcome to take that to another thread. This thread is a dedicated update and discussion thread to the SES-10 mission and the reuse of the Falcon 9 first stage.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

They need to start painting tail numbers on these things so we can keep track of them, and get a stencil keeping score of the number of landings on each stage. And nose art individual to each stage.

bomber2_zps1439a6cd.jpg

They actually have started painting physical numbers on the bottom of the booster. I don't know if F9-1021 does, but the F9 launch earlier this week had "30" on the side.

---------- Post added 03-18-17 at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-17-17 at 09:30 PM ----------

SES-10 has been fueled ahead of its launch.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/03/18/ses-10-telecom-satellite-fueled-and-readied-for-launch-on-reused-rocket/

Last edited:

barrygolden

Reaction score
Space X has always seemed to think about how to save money and cut cost. NASA thought about recovering Saturn 1B's out of the water and refired one but were working on the shuttle at the time. We at Space X are always asked about new ideas and even I have shared a few with them, they want bold ideas about space flight

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
This thread is a dedicated update and discussion thread to the SES-10 mission and the reuse of the Falcon 9 first stage.

Sorry!!,.. I did go off at a tangent (Exciting isn't it :lol:), but yes we have to get space travel down to the art of flying aircraft ('infinite' reuse).

As mentioned, if SpaceX did this by themselves.. I'd be happy for the achievement as we need non-governmental/non-political institutions to break new grounds.

With government control of space enteprises, which I fear SpaceX will eventually fall under, eventually will lead to another disaster in the making.

With the relaunch of the first stage, I predict structural failure (if the original stage). If OK well done.. but the test of MTBF remains.

Maybe pessimistic, realism.. but remember I did suggest landing the first stage on one engine only (and the reasons for this)..
SpaceX seems to be doing this now... :cheers:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
This will be, what, launch #3 in under a month from LC 39A? Fantastic pace.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
They actually have started painting physical numbers on the bottom of the booster. I don't know if F9-1021 does, but the F9 launch earlier this week had "30" on the side.
They should paint it midway on the booster structure... I'll leave that for some bright spark to work out :lol:

Sometimes I wonder :facepalm:

---------- Post added 03-21-17 at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-20-17 at 11:03 PM ----------

Space X has always seemed to think about how to save money and cut cost. NASA thought about recovering Saturn 1B's out of the water and refired one but were working on the shuttle at the time. We at Space X are always asked about new ideas and even I have shared a few with them, they want bold ideas about space flight

Excuse me !!!.. THEY must get off their rear ends and work that out for themselves.

Are they that stupid, employed such dense people.. and want free ideas to make their company a big thing.

If you have a revelation idea, that works.. you must get paid for your 'garage' work.

There you go !!
:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Up theirs.. sport... If you have a revelation idea, that works.. you must get paid for your 'garage' work.

Exactly. If you are really good in something, don't do it for free.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
New date:

Static Fire: March 26
Launch: March 29 (1659 - 1929 EDT)

This first stage will attempt a 2nd landing on the ASDS, first time every in Spacex' s history. Wishing them all the best! :thumbup:

And mission patch is out!
C7ZLt7sVAAEpou6.jpg:large

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
NET March 29th due to range conflict from the Atlas V with Cygnus.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Payload is being encapsulated. Strongback is currently vertical on LC-39A. Processing appears to be going well for this historic launch!

barrygolden

Reaction score
Yes I too wonder why NASA pays millions to Space X and Boeing to built two manned spacecraft when had they taken that money and spent on Orion and used a Delta 4H The US would be flying astronauts to the ISS but then when something happens who's to blame ? well it will be Elon Musk and some low level exc at Boeing who are in hot water not NASA. " We didn't do anything wrong but we'll get someone fired and problem solved."

NASA's plan too use the SLS seems like a joke to me. with 14 SSME and no engine program and a launch rate of 1 every 8 years that means it might launch once then those guy's will retire and then we'll need another launch to test out the 1st test then the those's guys will retire and the other 6 SSME will be sent to museums because their too old to use. Now that's NASA's plan as of today.

Yes one should be paid when you have a good idea as I was when I told the Army to leave the heater covers on our Hellfire missiles so the sand would not blind the seeker heads . It made our AH 64's pretty effective in the gulf war.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Now we have a new mission patch. (Go Green, Support 3R, SpaceX :lol:)

9WTbBfH.png

Here is the full animation that makes it looks nice.

Static Fire test window opens at 3 pm local time (runs for eight hours, should they require it) on Sunday.

"Of Course I Still Love You" already left port and heading out to sea.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSEcCVlAhb-/

EDIT: Just to clarify, the mission patch that I posted above is not the OFFICIAL Mission patch. It is a fan creation by u/Qeng-Ho on Reddit.

This is the official mission patch.

C7ZLt7sVAAEpou6.jpg:large

Last edited: