Request Spectacular Atmospheric Rendering in Realtime

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello folks,

long time no see! I have been sucked up by the world of MSFS the last couple of months.
A came across the following recently, and thought I needed to share, since I considered the effects/results of this man's work nothing but absolutely spectacular. I have never ever seen such a realistic kind of atmospheric rendering in real time from inside the atmosphere and from space. It has light shafts, the Earth's Shadow (is visible in the atmosphere and so on... just gorgoeus). Especially the effect on the surface map colour (Blue Marble Map) is terrific, the greens get washed out/shifted to a more blue and red hue, frigging just like in the real world!
I have given the demo a go, though it did not run flawless on my system, it still looked great.
I so much hope that this could find a way into a new graphics engine (OGLA), it would be amazing! Combined with a star field rendering like in Celestia... OMG... :) Sorry for all that superlative talking:embarrassed:

Check it the following links:

http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Membres/Eric.Bruneton/

->scroll down to "Atmosphere" and check out the images and particularly the videos!

See also here (includes a link to the demo, big download):
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=542295

What do you think? Artlav? Anyone?

:cheers:

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Woah! That would be incredible in Orbiter.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm. I'll need to plug Nvidia card back in...

OGLA do have a plausible in-air rendering already.
sway-090614-2.jpg

sway-090614-3.jpg

sway-090614-4.jpg

sway-090614-1.jpg

But i gather you'll want a nice from-space view, which is lacking so far.

I'll check it out deeper, thanks for the links.

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
Wow that stuff looks great. The dynamically generated vegetation would also be really nice in Orbiter. I bet you could even adapt that for randomly dispersing rocks on planets and moons that lack vegetation. I guess we all have our "wish list". :)