[SSU 4.2] Universal Pointing - Point to another spacecraft

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that using UNIV PTG (OPS201) the shuttle was able to point its nose or OH windows to another spacecraft.

I am practicing rendezvous operations with SSU, and I want to point my overhead windows or my nose to my target spacecraft, to manouver visually for docking. (I believe real astronauts had to do something similar with the real shuttle)

Is this possible in SSU 4.2? How to configure UNIV PTG for this task?

Best regards.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that using UNIV PTG (OPS201) the shuttle was able to point its nose or OH windows to another spacecraft.

I am practicing rendezvous operations with SSU, and I want to point my overhead windows or my nose to my target spacecraft, to manouver visually for docking. (I believe real astronauts had to do something similar with the real shuttle)

Is this possible in SSU 4.2? How to configure UNIV PTG for this task?

Best regards.
AFAIK, there's no way to target a spacecraft using our UNIV PTG implementation. It has always been limited to Target ID 2 (TGT ID 2) which is Center of the Earth. It seems we would need to support TGT ID 1 along with a slew other GNC displays to get rendezvous target tracking going. So, you'll have to do this manually for now.