Problem SSU Crash to Desktop

ovrocm

Reaction score
And when running that scenario, the log also has the "SSU_Tank"?
Are you using symbolic links?

Exactly!

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

What do you mean by "symbolic links"?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
What do you mean by "symbolic links"?
Do you have several Orbiter installations that share one texture folder to save space?
It's a shot in the dark... you might be running one scenario and thinking you are running another... but if running the scenarios above you get the "SSU_Tank" missing, I don't know what could be going on... :facepalm:

ovrocm

Reaction score
Nope, just one installation. It is a clean installation plus SSU, no more no less.

Summing up,

1) By December 2018 I installed ORBITER 2016 and add the SSU, following the instructions found in this forum. Everything worked fine but for some visual problems depending on the type of SRB use, but no problem like CTD. The sole motive to have ORBITER installed was the SSU.

2) Returning from vacation, last week I decided to update the SSU files, using the procedures described on the same instructions mentioned in (1) - SVN Update. All this trouble started after this update. I did nothing different from before, when everything was working.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Did you try to reinstall Dx9 too ? Just a thought.

ovrocm

Reaction score
By the way, ORBITER 2016 is the only "game" (if you can call it that - it is more of a simulator) installed in my machine.

Regards

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Did you try to reinstall Dx9 too ? Just a thought.

No, as I said I did nothing different than I had done before.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

What is most weird is that the scenario file does not call for anything like "SSU_Tank", this is not even written anywhere in the scenario file.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In VS, could you try to rebuild the solution (you can do this bu pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7 or by going Build>Rebuild solution)? This will force VS to delete all the previous intermediate files and do a complete clean up and rebuild of all the projects in the solution. I'm thinking that something is screwing up the build process and VS skips some of the projects as it thinks those are up to date and do not need to be built. I've seen it before.

Also, when you update the root SSU folder, what revision is being updated to? You're not updating each folder separately are you?

This is the correct way to update your SSU installation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq5zk1mht260de1/SSU_SVN_Update.jpg?dl=0

ovrocm

Reaction score
This is the procedure I am following. I'm not doing anything different from what is written (at least that is what I think).

Code:
[B]How to setup an up to date SSU installation for Orbiter 2016[/B]

This post will detail the steps required to always have the latest items of SSU, including the all important modules (dynamic link libraries or *.dll files). 

First the external utilities that required to have an up to date SSU installation.

MS Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition: https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/
TortoiseSVN: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

Once you have downloaded those items, we'll start off by installing VC++ and setting it up to compile Orbiter modules.

Then it is time to install the tool that will keep your SSU installation fresh and up to date, which is TortoiseSVN. TortoiseSVN is straightforward to install, just follow the on screen instructions of the installer and you should be set.

Once the installation of the external tools are complete and done, it's time to get things rolling. 

First create a new and empty folder where you would like your SSU installation. For this thread I'm going to use C:\SSU.
Once that folder have been created, right-click on it and a context menu should appear. From this context menu choose SVN Checkout...

In window that comes up, in the field that has the label "URL of repository" add this: svn://svn.orbithangar.com/shuttleultra/trunk. This is used to be for Orbiter 2010-P1 but it now contains the Orbiter 2016 files.
Then verify that the Checkout directory (second field) is the folder of your SSU installation (in this case, C:\SSU).
Now just click OK. TortoiseSVN will now retrieve all the files from the SSU repository. Depending on Internet connection speeds, this can take a while since there's alot of files to be downloaded and some are quite large.

Once the checkout is complete just click on the OK button of the checkout window. Now it is time to install the base Orbiter 2016 files into this folder. You can obtain those here: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/download.html. Windows will ask you if you want to overwrite some of the files, so answer yes when that comes up.

You do need to install the D3D9Client to obtain the Graphics Client (GC) API source files that SSU now makes use of.

You might have noticed that the folder icon of your SSU installation has a red exclamation mark on it. This is just TortoiseSVN's way of telling that it has detected some files that it monitors for changes have changed. This is easily fixed by right-clicking on the folder and going TortoiseSVN>Revert... and just clicking OK on the window that comes up. If these doesn't show up, please try the steps outlined in this query of Stack Overflow (Although the query is for Windows 7, the steps are identical for any other versions line Win10): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...nder-windows-7

Once the reverting is complete, the folder should have a green checkmark on it. There's just two more things we have to do to enable successful building of the SSU sources and that is to install OrbiterSound 4.0. Once OS 4.0 has been installed, navigate to the Sound\OrbiterSound_SDK\VESSELSOUND_SDK\ShuttlePB_p roject\ folder. Then select the two files named "OrbiterSoundSDK40.h" and "OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib". Once selected cut them (Ctrl-X) and then navigate to Orbitersdk\include folder and paste them into it. Once this is done, select the file named "OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib" and cut it (Ctrl-X) paste it into the Orbitersdk\lib folder.

Now it is time to fire up VC++ to build the SSU source code so they become modules that can be used by Orbiter.
This might seem a bit complicated but it really isn't. Everything has already been set up if you followed the VC++ setup video linked earlier in this thread.

Now click on the Open Project... option of the VC++ Start Page and the navigate to the Orbitersdk\Space Shuttle Ultra\ folder. Then find the file called "Atlantis_2017.sln" (it might be just called "Atlantis_2017" if you haven't enabled the display of file extensions). This will load all the various SSU projects.

Once everything has been loaded, make sure in the top-left field it says "Release", then just go Build>Build Solution or you can just press F7. This will start the build process, this will take a while. At the end of the build process the log window at the bottom should say "========== Build: 16 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========". Don't worry about the one failed project. It has not yet been setup to build properly.

Now you should have your up to date SSU modules. Now it is time to test them. Simply fire up Orbiter(regular or with D3D9Client). Now find the folder named "Space Shuttle Ultra" and then open the subfolder named "Testing scenarios". From this folder launch the "Atlantis in orbit" scenario". If all has gone well, it should load just fine and this will validate the module build.

Any time you want to check if there's anything new, just right-click on the SSU installation folder and select the SVN Update option. This will update your installation with any new or changed files. If the sources have been updated, then you'll need to rebuild them using VC++. This done by simply reopening the "Atlantis_2017.sln" file in VC++ and going Build>Rebuild Solution. Once again, building the modules will take a while. Once it is done the log should report that the rebuild was successful.

Now you should have the knowledge required to keeping your SSU installation updated and not be dependent on the occasional precompiled module releases.

Regards

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

This is the correct way to update your SSU installation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq5zk1mht260de1/SSU_SVN_Update.jpg?dl=0

This is exactly the way I've done.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

I have to confess I'm completely lost.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Maybe I should take a break from ORBITER for a while. Then I will come back later on with a cool head, and stop bugging you guys that have been so supportive.

Regards

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

One thing is strange. According to the compilation instructions, at the end of the compilation, I'm supposed to get the following message:

========== Build: 16 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped =========="

But what I get is:

========== Build: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped =========="

Any gess?

ovrocm

Reaction score
Problem solved!!!

It was a compilation error. This is what I was doing wrong:

Instead of using - Compile Solution (blue outline in figure).

I was using - Compile Atlantis (red outline in figure).

This confusion was created because in my mind I had to use "Compile Atlantis", because the project name is "Atlantis_2017.sln".

Thank you for your patience and support.

Best Regards

Best Regards

Attachments

• Sem título.jpg
    Sem título.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 11

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Create a scenario with just the ET vessel:
Code:
ET:SSU_SLWT
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  PRPLEVEL 0:0.996000
END
Also, does the KSC approach landing scenario work?

BTW: does anyone have a witch auntie that could somehow help with this? :lol: :shifty:

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Problem solved!!!

This confusion was created because in my mind I had to use "Compile Atlantis", because the project name is "Atlantis_2017.sln".

Best Regards

Best Regards

Uff... glad this is sorted out. :hailprobe:
Please thank your aunties and let then watch the soap opera. :rofl:

ovrocm

Reaction score
Shame on me!

:(

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Thank you guys for the patience

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Problem solved!!!

Best Regards

Best Regards
Since you're not a developer, there's no need for any advanced stuff like building individual projects like this. Just open the solution and press F7 and let VS itself handle things. That's it. A VS solution is essentially the master tree that has various VS projects as its branches. So by building the solution, you're also building the projects.

Mizar91

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am experiencing a CTD with the following message "Debug assertion failed line 259"after selecting item 28 exec in the spec 34 pro.
Any idea what that might be?
Regards
M91