SSU Crawler Transporter development

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So did you get it to work in 2016? Using similar code gets mine to move good in 2010 but spins badly in 2016.

Also does the laser guidance system work in 2010 version 3.0?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So did you get it to work in 2016? Using similar code gets mine to move good in 2010 but spins badly in 2016.
Other than solving the CTD/freeze issue in D3D9Client RC-1, no work has been done on the Crawler.

Also does the laser guidance system work in 2010 version 3.0?
Yes.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Any idea when work could begin on adapting the Crawler for 2016? This is so we can close ticket#136.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am not sure if my code will work on your version.
We've already settled on using Fred18's MS2015 crawler, although it will require some modifications mainly so it can only turn when it is in motion. Another modification will be that it accelerates and decelerates properly (right now it's binary, either it moves or it doesn't). The crawler can go anywhere from 0 MPH to 2 MPH with the actual speed set by the operator in the driver cab. Normal speed when "docking" is around 0.05 MPH and speed while ascending/descending the pad ramp is 0.3 MPH.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's some historical Apollo/Saturn-era footage of the Crawler. Noteworthy things are the original color of the transporters (a pale mustard-yellow color, before they reconsidered and went with a battleship grey color) and the original driver cabin configuration, complete with the original control joysticsk instead of the small steering wheel used starting with the shuttle program.

https://images.nasa.gov/details-KSC..._The_Beginning_Historical_Footage-B_2309.html

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
BTW: if you're looking at the Crawler, please don't work the vc mesh, as I'd done changes in it. The main mesh should have plenty of work though: cabs and their glass out of place, and of course, hidden triangles by the bucket load.
I was expecting to have the new ground moving logic, vc rework, vc-to-"central logic" rewire, and "central-logic" rework finished by now, but there are still a few things to iron out so sometime this week it should be finished.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
DaveS, are you working the Crawler tracks? If not, I need to shift them so they are centered, thus one offset is needed... and hopefully help in fixing the issues I'm getting in getting this thing up the pad ramp.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not currently working on the trucks. The proper offset to use in the X-axis should be 13.176 m or 45'.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not currently working on the trucks. The proper offset to use in the X-axis should be 13.176 m or 45'.
Ok, thanks.
I think after I do that I'll commit an initial version, still with the ramp issue (which looks more and more like animation trouble), and also missing scenario parameters and MLP testing. This way I can hop off to the Orbiter.msh to finally see how things are there.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Are you sure? The corners are centered at 13.58725 (average).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, thanks.
I think after I do that I'll commit an initial version, still with the ramp issue (which looks more and more like animation trouble), and also missing scenario parameters and MLP testing. This way I can hop off to the Orbiter.msh to finally see how things are there.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Are you sure? The corners are centered at 13.58725 (average).
That's one of the many flaws with the current mesh(es). They're not properly sized. I'm working on a set of new ones that are much more accurate but it has been slow going due to the need to remove all those hidden triangles. Particularly hard is the catwalk handrails due to to their small diameter. In fact, I've decided to scrap the original ones and just create new ones using the old ones as guides.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just uploaded the initial round of Crawler fixes for Orbiter 2016! :hailprobe:
Missing are LDS (don't know the status of it), scenario load/save, fixing the cabin mesh positions and glass windows, documentation, plus some small adjustments.

Important changes: only one cabin can be in control at a time, so the "Cab Ack" PBI is used to select the cabin, and if it is the only one selected, it is then in control as indicated by the lights. Honestly, I have no idea how the control was decided in the real one, but this makes much more sense, compared with the lack of control of the previous version.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

BTW: I added a OTS vessel for testing... given that it doesn't fit the OV mesh, and it is probably twice as graphically expensive as it needed to be, for now it will remain just for testing.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Tested the OTS, and it needs some work on the steering. It should turn like a normal car, not like a tank. And the two Crawler scenarios just CTDs, no error messages at all so I can't test it.

This video of the STS-121 roll over shows how the OTS handles:

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Tested the OTS, and it needs some work on the steering. It should turn like a normal car, not like a tank. And the two Crawler scenarios just CTDs, no error messages at all so I can't test it.

This video of the STS-121 roll over shows how the OTS handles:

Discovery Rollover to the VAB - YouTube

You are probably using the "turn in place" feature of the SurfaceRoving class*, because I forgot to mention what keys to use... :facepalm:
So (all numpad):
8 = +1m/s (forward)
2 = -1m/s

7 = 2º left
9 = 2º right

1 = left turn in place
3 = right turn in place

Like I said, I made this just for testing (actually keys 1 and 3 initially controlled aft steering), and there is much work to be done to bring it to "release status"... no point in releasing (another) half-finished vessel.

*) it's a good time to mention that it is based on Fred18's GeneralVehicle. :hailprobe:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a fact sheet on the OTS from an old KSC PAO document on the various transporters that was used for the shuttle program. It should help in getting the OTS correctly.

Attachments

• OTS facts.jpg
    OTS facts.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 296

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And the two Crawler scenarios just CTDs, no error messages at all so I can't test it.
Traced this to XRSound. With the OrbiterSound/XRSound bridge module enabled, I get the CTDs. Disabling it allows the scenarios to load successfully. But of course, without any sound from the crawler. And it looks like the LDS is still fully operational.

---------- Post added 07-21-19 at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-20-19 at 06:21 PM ----------

Checked the Crawler out some more, it seems like the CAB IN CONTROL logic is not part of the saving/loading function so you need to remember to activate which ever cab is supposed to be in control.

Also, the gauges are a bit dark, any way these can be lit up better? I'm talking abut the actual displays and not the physical hardware. Also, when in the 2° steering mode, the steering gauges shifts to showing only fractions of degree not the fully thing. So the leading digit is omitted so the gauges only show .xx instead of x.xx. Also the positive/negative signs look a bit distended.

Another nice thing to have would be to have the generators actually exhaust through the exhaust pipes. Especially on start up as the generators run on high-sulfuric content diesel so there's quite the noticeable black cloud of smoke.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Checked the Crawler out some more, it seems like the CAB IN CONTROL logic is not part of the saving/loading function so you need to remember to activate which ever cab is supposed to be in control.

Also, the gauges are a bit dark, any way these can be lit up better? I'm talking abut the actual displays and not the physical hardware. Also, when in the 2° steering mode, the steering gauges shifts to showing only fractions of degree not the fully thing. So the leading digit is omitted so the gauges only show .xx instead of x.xx. Also the positive/negative signs look a bit distended.

Another nice thing to have would be to have the generators actually exhaust through the exhaust pipes. Especially on start up as the generators run on high-sulfuric content diesel so there's quite the noticeable black cloud of smoke.

The load/save is still to be done, and it might have to wait awhile as fixing the Orbiter.msh (and others) is by far the top priority, and it seems I'll be with that until the winter.

As for particle streams, it probably would not work very well with time acceleration... :shrug:

As for the rest, any work will be done along with the load/save work.