SSU in orbiter 2016 - no engine sound.

knight7173

Reaction score
Good Afternoon

I have got SSU 4.2 installed in Orbiter 2016.

I followed this walkthrough to make it work in 2016

https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=30336

all vehicles fly and operate fine just I have no Engine/ Thruster sound its the only sound missing from the situation.

I do not know why this is and was hoping someone could point me in right direction for a solution.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Good Afternoon

I have got SSU 4.2 installed in Orbiter 2016.

I followed this walkthrough to make it work in 2016

https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=30336

all vehicles fly and operate fine just I have no Engine/ Thruster sound its the only sound missing from the situation.

I do not know why this is and was hoping someone could point me in right direction for a solution.

Did you install, and enable, OrbiterSound?

knight7173

Reaction score
Good Evening

Yes sound is working as I have wind sound effects and cockpit AC/ switches clicking and radios etc. I have the sound of RCS thrusters when the SSU goes through its propellant dump after ET seperation but no actual sound for when thrusters fire etc.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Good Evening

Yes sound is working as I have wind sound effects and cockpit AC/ switches clicking and radios etc. I have the sound of RCS thrusters when the SSU goes through its propellant dump after ET seperation but no actual sound for when thrusters fire etc.

Do you mean no sound while the RCS are firing? If so, then that is expected as currently the RCS only make noise at the start of a firing.
A better logic for the RCS sound is expected when the new implementation is done (not soon...).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Do you mean no sound while the RCS are firing? If so, then that is expected as currently the RCS only make noise at the start of a firing.
And that's the way it is for thrusters in space. The sound is coming from the initial ignition transient which only occurs for a fraction of a second. Once a steady state has been reached, they go silent. And the audible noise only comes from the FRCS jets as they're the closest to the crew module. The crew can't hear either the OMS engines or the ARCS jets as they're too far away.

knight7173

Reaction score
Ah fair enough. I hear the initial pulse when firing the thrusters so thats good to know and for soime reason I can hear SRB engine now so maybe just a glitch on my computer. Many thannks for your comments :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ah fair enough. I hear the initial pulse when firing the thrusters so thats good to know and for soime reason I can hear SRB engine now so maybe just a glitch on my computer. Many thannks for your comments :)
The SRBs were always audible due to the solid propellant. Solid propellant isn't like liquid propellant, it will always burn very roughly due to the fact that the propellant isn't uniform all the way through. You're always going to have inconsistencies. Liquid propellants however are more uniform and even and can be burnt more completely deadening the noise. The SSMEs worst period was during start up but once they had reached a stable state, things quieted down. In fact, things were so quiet after SRB sep, that the was a running joke among flight crews that that the engines had died as you couldn't hear them running (or even feel them).

knight7173

Reaction score
Ah I see your point.

Well got it all working smoothly now so thank you for all your feedback :)