DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dave,
Very nice, it's getting there.
Thanks. I'm currently working on the pipes that goes from the top of the RSS(the so called "PCR hood") and connects with the RSS truss structure. Then I'll work on the so called "triple flips" which are part of the Orbiter Weather Protection(OWP) system. They're located on the side of the RSS that covers the port side of the orbiter right next to the Orbiter Access Arm and White Room.

If you want to help out, you could always model what I call the "Midlevel Access Platform Unit" or MAPU of the FSS.

I can send the meshes I'm using as placeholders.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Donamy: Could you maybe make 4 vertical torque tubes for me? They're used to provide torque to the payload bay doors when they're operated at the pad. When they're not used, they're attached to brackets on the RSS Payload Changeout Room doors.

Photo of the lower two torque tubes have been attached. Color is yellow.

Attachments

• vertical_torque_tubes.jpg
    vertical_torque_tubes.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 841

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dave,
Those look pretty simple. Looking at what you've done on the MLP and FSS so far, I'm sure you have the skills for that.
OK, thought you might wanted to do it as the "orbiter contractor". Maybe you want a shot at trying to get the FSS OWP panel animation?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Launch Complex 39 development

Here's some fresh screenshots of a textured RSS. If take a close look you can see the vertical torque tubes attached to the PCR doors.

Attachments

• SSU_FSS_13B.jpg
    SSU_FSS_13B.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 835
  • SSU_FSS_13A.jpg
    SSU_FSS_13A.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 832

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a few fresh screenshots. Most work today has been on getting the back of the RSS done. I will soon resume work on the rest of the Payload Changeout Room.

Attachments

• SSU_FSS_14A.jpg
    SSU_FSS_14A.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 817
  • SSU_FSS_14B.jpg
    SSU_FSS_14B.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 802
  • SSU_FSS_14C.jpg
    SSU_FSS_14C.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 814

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Latest RSS screenshots:

Attachments

• SSU_FSS_15C.jpg
    SSU_FSS_15C.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 776
  • SSU_FSS_15B.jpg
    SSU_FSS_15B.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 855
  • SSU_FSS_15A.jpg
    SSU_FSS_15A.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 818

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For the FSS/RSS, I'm aiming for an ECD of Wednesday. Probability of making that date: 70%

So Urwumpe, could you make a very simple DLL to support a early use by May 31?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Donamy: Could you maybe make a metal grating texture for the RSS catwalks that has the following pattern on it?

Attachments

• RSS_catwalks.jpg
    RSS_catwalks.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 860

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
New screenshots. Work has mainly focused on getting the Y+ wing cover panel on the RSS correct.

I also completed the upper -Y wing cover panel and have textured it. I have also started early work on the Orbiter Mid-Body Umbilical Unit or OMBUU. Work will now resume on the lower -Y wing cover panel.

Attachments

• SSU_FSS_16A.jpg
    SSU_FSS_16A.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 799
  • SSU_FSS_16B.jpg
    SSU_FSS_16B.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 843

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a programming question: How do you want the the various service arms and RSS? In their retracted state, or in their extended state? Also when I make the various catwalks, should I add the pad lights?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here's a programming question: How do you want the the various service arms and RSS? In their retracted state, or in their extended state? Also when I make the various catwalks, should I add the pad lights?

I would say, we make the retracted state the 0 state. That is just a matter of convention, but this way, the standard state could be the state without a shuttle on the pad.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I would say, we make the retracted state the 0 state. That is just a matter of convention, but this way, the standard state could be the state without a shuttle on the pad.
So when I check in the meshes, the RSS should be in the park position and the OAA, GVA and GH2 VA in the retracted states?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So when I check in the meshes, the RSS should be in the park position and the OAA, GVA and GH2 VA in the retracted states?

Yes, would be better.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Will we be modeling the inside of the "white room" on the gangway?
The "gangway" is called the Orbiter Access Arm or OAA for short. What Kev calls the "fuelcap" is the Gaseous Oxygen Vent Arm or GOX Vent Arm or GVA for short.

GH2 VA is short for Gaseous Hydrogen Vent Arm, which is really just pipe ducting the GH2 away from the stack to a excess hydrogen burn-off flare stack in between the concrete hardstand and the LH2 storage sphere.

RSS is short for Rotating Service Structure, which is the large structure at the pad that surrounds the orbiter and provides weather protection and vehicle access. It also is home to the Hypergolic Umbilical System and the Orbiter Mid-Body Umbilical Unit.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How far are you with the meshes? Once MDUs are operational again, and the next release out, I think I should be able to make a first DLL. You might need to do some tweaks afterwards.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How far are you with the meshes? Once MDUs are operational again, and the next release out, I think I should be able to make a first DLL. You might need to do some tweaks afterwards.
Well, I got almost all of the animated items done. The ones is missing is the LH2 vent arm and the Intertank Access Arm, both on the FSS.

I got behind schedule by trying to find photos that showed the wing cover panels on the RSS over the orbiter so that I could confirm the distance between the panels and the wings of the orbiter.

And I found the photo I was searching for earlier today and the meshes are correct in this area. Right now I'm finishing up the OWPs on the RSS and then I'll add the bottom part of the RSS which covers the aft engine compartment and the vertical tail.

Then I'll finish up the OMBUU before returning my focus to the FSS and its missing elements.

Maybe sometime Saturday/Sunday at this time.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Work is continuing at 39A. Today work was started on getting the Liquid Hydrogen Vent Arm installed and fit checked with the STS-122 stack. Also some more work on the lower +Y OWP was done.

Attachments

• SSU_FSS_17b.jpg
    SSU_FSS_17b.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 692
  • SSU_FSS_17A.jpg
    SSU_FSS_17A.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 714

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Some pad news: Got some more work on the RSS done. Estimated completion right now: 78%

Also completed major work on the LH2 Vent Arm including the addition of the Ground Umbilical Carrier Plate that is used to mate the LH2 Vent Arm with the External Tank.

So work continues on the pad elements.

Attachments

• SSU_FSS_18A.jpg
    SSU_FSS_18A.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 711
  • SSU_FSS_18B.jpg
    SSU_FSS_18B.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 637
  • SSU_FSS_18C.jpg
    SSU_FSS_18C.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 664
  • SSU_FSS_18D.jpg