St. Maarten (St. Martin? :) ) Scenery Pack?

Ursus

Rocket Tinker
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just had a twisted thought after I Stumbled across a page of photos of planes passing over the beach on St. Maarten... A really twisted thought...

It's kind of a short runway to use as a space port; it'd be almost (?!?!) impossible to land the shuttle there, but it'd be kind of fun... even if a person had to perform hover-engine assisted take-offs and landings. (Actually, I think a DG might be able to handle the strip without hovers.)

The really twisted part... If you think the
wreak havoc on the folks on the beach... just imagine what the rocket exhaust would do.

(Yes, this is a 90% serious add-on request... well, maybe 85% serious.)

Edit: Oh... the forum software embedded that YouTube link... oh, well, I guess it's still readable.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow. Looks like you could surf away from the beach there, while losing your hearing in the process.

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've actually been there and it's pretty unnerving watching the heavies come into that airport. The airport is closed by 9:00pm since it would be too loud to have traffic after that. The ramp is a postage stamp too. If your flight can't make it's arrival time, you can get held up for HOURS at your departure airport until another ramp slot becomes available.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Yes, I know the runway at Sint Maarten, the beach at the start is indeed a great place :). I'll try to make a hires texture for the whole island in Orbiter.

Btw, if I remember correctly, the Dutch island Saba (near St Maarten and relatively small), has the shortest (commercial) runway of the world, the island looks very nice. Maybe this would be nice scenery too. But as it consist mainly of a mountain, just a flat texture in Orbiter would be a little boring, but maybe it is possible to make a 3D model for the island, like the Thunderbirds-Island addon on OrbitHangar.

regards,
mcduck

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
can some one make this?

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
I have the island textures in Orbiter now, but I'm currently finetuning it before uploading to Orbit Hangar. It has 2 parts, one higher resolution for the area of/around the runway, and a little lower res for the whole island.

attachment.php

regards,
mcduck

Attachments

• stmaarten01klein.jpg
    stmaarten01klein.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 179

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Bedankt, dutchpirate :)

I can't seem to get the highres and low res tiles exactly alligned. Does anyone know if it is possible to give the surface tiles an offset, without the need of changing their position indices?

To prevent this offset problem, it would also be possible to have the whole island in high res, but in that case the download size would possibly get a little too big, around 60 Mb (zip).

regards,
mcduck

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
use 7zip it has a high Compression Rate

Ursus

Rocket Tinker
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow... that is nice. :beach: I can see myself there on the beach, basking in the warmth of the rocket flames. :focus:(Hmm... only "charred" smiley I can find on the forum.)

Saba does look like it would be interesting if someone wanted to make a mesh. That St. Maarten texture looks great even without any hills across the lagoon.

Last edited:

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Still working on the scenery/tiles, but in this stage it is already fun to fly around there in Orbiter!
Currently, I am thinking about adding some palm trees to the base scenery, from [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=591"]Jim's scenery pack[/ame], if it doesn't eat up to many FPS.

Also, I'm waiting for a bug to be fixed in the tiling utility, but I have to test one more alternative that might work.

Some (a lot!) more good closeup photos can be found here.

regards,
mcduck

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
If you want to use them do to versions one with them the other with out

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score