St Peterburg's museum of Space flights.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Last February I and my wife was in St. Petegburg, Russia. and i couldn't just skip this so special place such as museum of rocket propulsion!:lol:
So Ive made some photos of rocket engines, wanna share with you guys and i hope you like it:thumbup:

PS - ENJOY :D

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Brillant !! Have been searching for such pics in the past ! :thumbup:

Tycho

Reaction score
Great pictures from an intriguing museum! :thumbup: To be quite honest, I really can spend hours in these places. I've been to the National Air and Space Museum (probably my favorite) in Washington D.C. several times and have spent the better part of a day in there (their collection's so large, they have another annex in Virginia I've also been to---It's where Shuttle Discovery is going). Aerospace museums never get old. I'll have to visit Russia one of these years.

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
Are one of those rocket engines the type that are used in the R-7 rockets? Like the one that sent sputnik out to orbit. And then later on the poor little dog named Laika?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Are one of those rocket engines the type that are used in the R-7 rockets? Like the one that sent sputnik out to orbit. And then later on the poor little dog named Laika?

There's one: this photo shows an early version of the RD-108, which powers the second (core stage) of the R-7 series. An improved version of it continues to power all Soyuz rockets being flown as of today.

I can also identify two more: this one shows the RD-214 (used to power the early Cosmos-2 series) and this one shows the RD-301 (an exotic rocket engine powered by liquid fluorine and ammonia that would have been used as on the Proton rocket as an upper stage, before realities of using fluorine kicks in).

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for kind comments!
sure i can spend a lot of time in these places too. I guess i can go to st.peterburg one more time next autumn and get much more pictures of these engines.
btw this summer i'll go to Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, so anybody knows some kind of rocket museums out there?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Thanks for kind comments!
sure i can spend a lot of time in these places too. I guess i can go to st.peterburg one more time next autumn and get much more pictures of these engines.

If you can afford to visit several locations in Russia on your trip, I recommend visiting at least the Memorial Museum of Spaceflight in Moscow and Tsiolkovsky Space History Museum in Kaluga. They are easy to get to (if you pay attention to admission hours notices) and contain rich exhibitions. Even more interesting are museums of the enterprises of space industry, but they are costly to visit and take special tricks to get permit of admission for.

Lovers of the Cold War era can consider visiting a real missile control bunker hidden under Moscow or a decommissioned ICBM launch base in Ukraine. Visitors can tap the launch button as much as they like.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you can afford to visit several locations in Russia on your trip, I recommend visiting at least the Memorial Museum of Spaceflight in Moscow and Tsiolkovsky Space History Museum in Kaluga. They are easy to get to (if you pay attention to admission hours notices) and contain rich exhibitions. Even more interesting are museums of the enterprises of space industry, but they are costly to visit and take special tricks to get permit of admission for.

Lovers of the Cold War era can consider visiting a real missile control bunker hidden under Moscow or a decommissioned ICBM launch base in Ukraine. Visitors can tap the launch button as much as they like.

I was in Moscow spaceflight memorial museum. quite a nice place but one thing - too less engines out there, but numerous models of booster vehicles even (i guess 1:20 scale) Saturn V was there. besides I liked the one of MIR station module too.:hailprobe: