New Release Starship SN8

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could you add the camera views that was shown on the official SN-8 12.5 km SpaceX webcast? Could you also add all the prelaunch vents?

Pioneer

Reaction score
Can somebody categorize all of these extra texture areas adequately? Vandenberg, Boca Chica, etc. all have some mysterious links to them that I have no way of 100% knowing if it's the right one.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could you add the camera views that was shown on the official SN-8 12.5 km SpaceX webcast? Could you also add all the prelaunch vents?
ALL the prelaunch vents?? I'll see what I can do ;-)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can somebody categorize all of these extra texture areas adequately? Vandenberg, Boca Chica, etc. all have some mysterious links to them that I have no way of 100% knowing if it's the right one.
Not sure what you mean. The links I put on OHM should take you to the correct .zip file for the appropriate area.

Marijn

Reaction score
Both Chrome and Edge throw a security warning. Chrome doesn't give the option to continue. Edge does so I've downloaded it now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
ALL the prelaunch vents?? I'll see what I can do ;-)
Well, OK just the vents you see from T-2 minutes and down. I'm only talking about the vehicle vents, not the ground facility vents. One of the actually stay on through the flight. Here's the official SpaceX coverage of the 12.5 km flight:

Last edited:

Pioneer

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. The links I put on OHM should take you to the correct .zip file for the appropriate area.
Generally speaking, put these extra areas on OHM as their own thing or on the main Orbiter site's textures section.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Both Chrome and Edge throw a security warning. Chrome doesn't give the option to continue. Edge does so I've downloaded it now.
The certificate expired on Friday, November 27. 2020 03:00.
We should inform the site-administrator (of mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk) about it.
A https connection with an expired certificate is deemed insecure, so no sensible browser should allow you to access the site.

Marijn

Reaction score
Today I had a first play with the SN8. I did some stupid things like forward and backflipping which was quite a bit of fun:

Later I tried something a little more serious by launching from Brighton Beach on the Moon for a trip to earth. Leaving the Moon was no problem, but once I got into LEO, the RCS suddenly felt weird. Without a tiny bit of main engines, it was hardly effective at all. With a small bit of main engine, it felt overreactive. Then I noticed I could roll left but not roll right. The KillRot autopilot had no authority either. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. I tried to show the problem in this vid:

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated on OHM: v.201210
Additional pad venting and added extra cockpit camera positions.
Updated "12.5km hop" scenario.
Added 20000kg "Reserve" propellant tanks for landing burn (key-press M to switch Main <-> Reserve, see notes)
Tweaked "Skydive and Land" algorithm a bit more.
Reduced RCS propellant tank to 500kg.

Later I tried something a little more serious by launching from Brighton Beach on the Moon for a trip to earth. Leaving the Moon was no problem, but once I got into LEO, the RCS suddenly felt weird. Without a tiny bit of main engines, it was hardly effective at all. With a small bit of main engine, it felt overreactive. Then I noticed I could roll left but not roll right. The KillRot autopilot had no authority either. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.
I wasn't thinking about orbital operations for SN8. Be aware that the RCS is undoubtedly underpowered for a fully fuelled vessel, also not balanced (RCS Roll will give Pitch moment, etc). Autopilots wont like it! There is a bug in the Main engines thrust vectoring somewhere - Roll Left is twice as strong as Roll Right! If I can fix it easily I will - otherwise I might just move on to another version and start from scratch. Apart from that, it seems to behave in LEO as I would expect.
Cheers,
Brian

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
With enough fuel, couldn't the Starship do a re-entry burn like the F9 first stage till it was low enough, then belly flop ?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated on OHM: v.201211
Fixed the Main engine thrust-vector unequal left/right Roll problem.

@Marijn - I'm enjoying the vids! :D(y) and thanks for the heads-up re:roll problem

With enough fuel, couldn't the Starship do a re-entry burn like the F9 first stage till it was low enough, then belly flop ?
I don't see why it couldn't, if it was coming in too "hot".

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the latest update, the SN8 tips over after landing. There seems to be sand on the landing pad: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uIU6R_gvxM3d-yO2X11P5oTx_hvBkE80/view?usp=sharing
It's always the same at the beach - sand gets everywhere ;-)
The hi-res scenery is probably flatter than the default.
You could:
1. Use ScenarioEditor to move your landing pad somewhere flatter.
2. Use the old location in your scenario:
POS -97.1524210 25.9922860
HEADING 180.00
ALT 0.412
AROT -115.816 3.128 -173.565
3. Grab the hi-res tiles "EarthHi_10_07.zip" from my GoogleDrive - let me know if you want it and I'll PM you a link.
(Can't put it up on OHM for general distribution since its not mine, but if the orbiter-mirror site has certificate problems I think its ok to pass it on).
Cheers,
Brian