"Strange" lights on Ceres

steph

Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/02/26/ceres_shiny_spot_is_actually_twins.html

dawn_ceres_feb192015_590.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Well, of course all the others the news sites jumped on it and only mention the natural sources later in the article.

Now... who comes up with the aliens guy?

Edit: to be honest, they do look very cool (and will only get cooler as Dawn starts orbiting it). Would be epic if they suddenly zapped the probe into nothingness :lol:

Last edited:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm going for ice volcanoes. If you look closely you can see a sort of whispyness to it...as if the particles were being carried away by wind.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The comment section on the news article I read about this were full of people who claimed NASA had already cooked up the conspiracy to hide the truth about this from us...SMDH.

:rolleyes:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The comment section on the news article I read about this were full of people who claimed NASA had already cooked up the conspiracy to hide the truth about this from us...SMDH.

:rolleyes:

Ah, comment sections. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I'm going for ice volcanoes. If you look closely you can see a sort of whispyness to it...as if the particles were being carried away by wind.

wind :blink:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Oh, good. It looks like we are actually about to learn something. :)

This is exciting. The solar system keeps getting more interesting. :cool:

Unstung

Reaction score
They're two highly reflective monoliths that the extraterrestrials placed on Ceres for humanity to discover. The aliens reasonably thought that humanity would easily find the monoliths by placing them on the smallest, relatively nearby body that has reached hydrostatic equilibrium. The monoliths are a more notable feature on a smaller body like Ceres. Ceres is also a notable object for humanity to explore because it has enough mass to become spherical.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
its fragments of upper stages that we used for interplanetary missions and which crashed on Ceres with a one to a trillion chance.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Come on. Everyone should know, those are weather baloons.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'm going for ice volcano's as well. I don't know much about the optics used on the spacraft but I wonder if they could be over exposing the lighter areas of the ice and so making it appear much brighter than it actually is.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm going for ice volcano's as well. I don't know much about the optics used on the spacraft but I wonder if they could be over exposing the lighter areas of the ice and so making it appear much brighter than it actually is.

Certainly if those spots are ice volcanoes they we surely caused by impacts of some kind. There are no other bodies around Ceres to cause the surface to spontaneously rupture like that.

Really can't wait until dawn gets into orbit.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Certainly if those spots are ice volcanoes they we surely caused by impacts of some kind.

Those bright spots are quite nicely inside the crater so if there is water under the surface, the bottom of crater may well be a good place to find it.

So, another question - how deep are those craters?