STS-129 News and Updates

Harmsway

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.eharm.net
This was another beautiful Shuttle launch. Afternoon flights are nice because the sun lights up the Shuttle on the side we are viewing from. Even though there was some clouds the sky was clear. The booster separation was visible and we were able to see the booster fall for quite awhile.

The Shuttle doesn't have exterior lights of any sort.

Gene Harm

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Atlantis is due to dock today to the ISS at 16:53 UTC (11:53 EST).

TI Burn in [eventTimer]2009-11-18 14:05;%hh% hours, %mm%mins[/eventTimer].
RPM is due to begin in [eventTimer]2009-11-18 15:52;%hh% hours, %mm%mins[/eventTimer].
Docking at [eventTimer]2009-11-18 16:53;%hh% hours, %mm%mins[/eventTimer].

Events may not be televised:
index.php

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

NSF: "KU-radar data is good, so no video from shuttle during docking"
Sounds like the docking won't be visible on NasaTV.

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
What exactly means "Ti" Burn ? Is it the last NC burn?
Terminal phase Initiation. It's similar to the NC burns but is the last major burn that puts the orbiter on the final rendezvous profile to meet up with the station for the RPM manoeuvre.

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
I've photographed them through telescope and made a movie:
That's about a half an hour before docking.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxv-w22JKGo"]YouTube- ISS and STS-129 flyby through telescope[/ame]

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was watching them through telescope too! But I didn't take a photo. They were too fast :D Hand tracking isn't good method...

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
You need to attach the camera (with unlimited burst shooting option) to the eyepiece and target them with the finder scope. I had the ISS on most of the photos. It's pretty easy with some practice and the scope lubed good.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Would have been fun... :dry:

Crews awakened by false fire, depressurization alarms
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts129/091119fd4/index3.html
The crews of the shuttle Atlantis and the International Space Station were awakened Thursday night by what flight controllers quickly concluded was a false alarm indicating a sudden depressurization. That false alarm caused ventilation fans to shut down, resulting in a fire alarm tripping in the European Space Agency's Columbus laboratory module.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

BTW, get the audio here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=19542.msg506801#msg506801

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I would not like to be woken up by that alarm while onboard ISS. Must've been quite a morning.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
When I watched a documentary about the Mir fire, the words of Alexander Lazutkin have embossed in my memory: "In these smoke-filled innards of the station, I've been fighting hard against the urge to open a window and let the room be aired".

Moonwalker

Reaction score
HD downlink of flight day 3. Great footage (and sound) of the backflip maneuver from inside the flight deck:

And part 2, which inludes the docking as seen through the aft observation windows:

Last edited:

flying coffin

Reaction score
looks to me like that was actually the RPM. It was very cool hearing the callout for item 19, just like on the UNIVPTG MFD!

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from a friend who works for United Space Alliance at the Cape. Here's what it says:

"Around 7 a.m. EST a smoke and fire alarm was generated by the Japanese Kibo laboratory, part of the International Space Station complex. A rapid
investigation proved the alarm was false, the third false station alarm during the STS-129 mission. The two previous alarms originated in the new Russian
Poisk mini research module. Transfer operations underway aboard the complex might have stirred up dust particles that triggered the sensitive station alarm
sensors. Operations are returning to normal."

Did anyone else know about this?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from a friend who works for United Space Alliance at the Cape. Here's what it says:

"Around 7 a.m. EST a smoke and fire alarm was generated by the Japanese Kibo laboratory, part of the International Space Station complex. A rapid
investigation proved the alarm was false, the third false station alarm during the STS-129 mission. The two previous alarms originated in the new Russian
Poisk mini research module. Transfer operations underway aboard the complex might have stirred up dust particles that triggered the sensitive station alarm
sensors. Operations are returning to normal."

Did anyone else know about this?
Yes. No issue. Transfers are wrapping up as hatch closure nears. Was noted in today's Mission Status Briefing.