Suggested college courses

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
So I was planning out the next 3 years of classes when I came to choosing the programming classes.

Now, when I start in the programming course, its mandated that I take

CIS-115 -Logic and Design.

When that's finished I will go to
CIS 170C - Programming with Lab. Which uses C++.net as the primary programming language.

Next is CIS-247C - Object Orientated Programming with Lab which also uses C++.net

The next choice is where I don't know exactly which course I want to go.

AA or AB;
The AA version is ;
1-A
Business application Programming with Lab, with Java being the primary programming language.
AB version;
1-B
Business application Programming with Lab, with COBOL being the primary programming language.
---

Then another branch; BA(2-A, 2-B) or BB(3-A, 3-B)

BA version;
2-A
Web Interface Design with Lab, which emphasizes web site structure and tools such as HTML, CSS, DHTML, and scripting. Dreamweaver and Flash are the primary software used.

Then;

2-B
Web Application Development with Lab, which builds on analysis , interface design, and programming skills. It introduces basics of design, coding and scripting, as well as database connectivity for web-based applications. Visual Basic.net, C++.net, or C#.net is used to implement web based applications. ASP.net is the primary software tool used.
BB version;
3-A
Web Interface Design with Lab, which does really the same, except it uses XHTML and JabaScript as primary software tools.

Then;

3-B
Web Application Development with Lab, which does the same as 2-B except that it uses JSP as primary software tool.
So I am asking any of the programmers here, what do you think? Which classes would be most beneficial to me for future jobs? Whats the main differences between these programming platforms that would make them desirable in a web-based or game-programming environment?

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
You want CIS-322: Whips, Chains, and Other Methods of Academic Bondage:lol:

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Java really sucks.

Java isn't as efficient as a native language, but it has lots of libraries and lets you focus your programing at the highest levels instead of having to rewrite constructs, common algorithms and waste time with a billion linking errors.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to do when you get out. Most of the classes at my college were in Java, because it really abstracts away a lot of the lower-level stuff for you and lets you focus on the higher-level programming constructs. Plus, if you know Java, you're 80% of the way to knowing C++, more or less.

I would say that Java would be more useful than COBOL. My roommate's taking a job with Lockheed Martin in a research position that's using Java. The Constellation version of the trajectory server is in Java (no one actually knows why, but w/e).

If you'd rather go into web-based development rather than applications, take one of the B-tracks. I don't know much about those, since all of my training has been applications-focused.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think BA is a great option.

It's true that Java is focused on high-level stuff... if you wanna have a graphical environment for a small program, you can. In C++, you have to build it or take an existing one... and sometimes neither option is acceptable.

Learning Java is a bit of a drag... you need to memorize a lot of stuff to be efficient at it... way way more compared to C++. Anything that can be done in Java, can be done in C++, but probably not the other way around.

One more thing you could take into account on a side note is that... well, you can use C++ to make addons for Orbiter :p

It all depends on what you wanna focus on in your job later on. Personally, I study physics, but put a lot of time in learning web stuff and C++. I think they're good tools for my career.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Thanks for the opinions guys,

More than likely I will be getting a job as a network administrator. Off the side of that I think I will be managing databases and possibly websites.

well, you can use C++ to make addons for Orbiter

:)
Orbiter uses C++, so whats the difference between C++ and C++.net?

I know the C++.net uses .net framework, but what difference does that make to the language? Or is the language the same but how you use things different? (e.g. available functions)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What you really need to make addons in Orbiter is "programming logic". Once you learn how to do stuff, you'll be able to write dlls for Orbiter with ease ;)

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
What you really need to make addons in Orbiter is "programming logic". Once you learn how to do stuff, you'll be able to write dlls for Orbiter with ease ;)

Awesome, that's what I am taking in about 3 weeks. ;) :speakcool:

Edit;
gaaa. 3 weeks, I cannot believe the first few weeks have gone by so fast...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orbiter uses C++, so whats the difference between C++ and C++.net?

I know the C++.net uses .net framework, but what difference does that make to the language? Or is the language the same but how you use things different? (e.g. available functions)

I'll field this. The basic difference is that C++.net is managed, whereas C++ is native. Basically, C++ has all the downsides of Java, and few of the advantages of C++.

The language works out to be pretty much the same, but you'll need an interop layer in order to use C++.net with Orbiter. I know someone did it at one point, you'll have to look around.