MapMFD Switching back from legacy to the new version of the MFD

Ross

Reaction score
Is there a way to revert back to the normal Map MFD? I switched it to the old one by adding "MFDMapVersion = 0" line to the Orbiter config file, but when I go back, it is gone. I tried putting in the line again with the value of 1 instead of 0 and it did nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
This should be as simple as either removing that line or changing the option to 1.

What is your operating system and where have you installed Orbiter? Is it located in "Program Files" or in "Program Files (x86)"? If it is there, have you checked VirtualStore folder in your profile?

If that isn't the case, then are you sure you have edited the appropriate configuration file, i.e. Orbiter.cfg if you run Orbiter.exe or Orbiter_NG.cfg if you run Orbiter_NG.exe? Did you edit the configuration file after you closed Orbiter or was Orbiter launchpad open?

Ross

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7, and I have orbiter installations all over the place. None of them are in "Program Files" though.

I did edit the Orbiter.cfg file by adding the line:
Code:
MFDMapVersion = 0

I saved it, went into Orbiter, and the map mode had indeed changed back to the original version (for 2006), but when I exited out and tried to go back into the Orbiter.cfg, the line that I put in had disappeared!

Hmm, now that I am trying to recall, I can't remember if the Launchpad was open or not. I imagine I would have closed it before messing with the config. But at any rate, it was really weird to see that line just disappear, and adding that line again and setting the value to 1 doesn't help either...I ended up deleting that install yesterday because there were a bunch of add-ons that were slowing down my computer anyway, so it's really not a big deal...

Just tried it again, and same thing. The line disappears from the config file and setting the value to 1 does not revert it back. (The launchpad was closed when I edited the CFG.) I guess the easiest solution is to simply use the new Map MFD (which is better anyways) from the start.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Just tried it again, and same thing. The line disappears from the config file and setting the value to 1 does not revert it back. (The launchpad was closed when I edited the CFG.) I guess the easiest solution is to simply use the new Map MFD (which is better anyways) from the start.
This line shouldn't disappear when the option is non-default. Instead, the configuration file you're viewing might be not the one that is used by Orbiter. It could be the original, but the one with "MFDMapVersion" is somewhere in "%localappdata%\VirtualStore" directory. Orbiter simply wouldn't switch to legacy Map MFD if it hadn't this line in configuration file, so Windows presents another configuration file to Orbiter than the one you're viewing without "MFDMapVersion" line. If configuration file was edited with different user rights than Orbiter was run.

Is Orbiter in your user's folder (like Documents or Desktop), or outside it (root of drive or some subdirectory)? Are you running (or have you tried to run) Orbiter as Administrator? If no, then always try run it as Administrator.

Did you check if there is Orbiter directory in "%localappdata%\VirtualStore" or its subfolders, containing orbiter.cfg?

pegasusairandspace

Reaction score
Hey there. I know this is a rather old post but I had this problem recently and there was no other reference to this. I found that the line appears to vanish, but is in fact moved to 'Logical parameters'. Simply remove the line altogether, open Orbiter but to be sure, don't fly anything. While on the Launch pad, open the cfg and the line should be gone. If the line isn't there at all, then it could be a Windows thing. I'm still using good old XP so I'm not sure if Windows 7 does anything weird or not.