sync orbit

startrekmaniac

Reaction score
Okay im still trying to dock with the ISS. Can can get up to the part where I need to snyc my orbit. I just get lost. Im doing the quickstart missions the help guide says, Switch the reference point to "Intersect 1" or "Intersect 2" " ( Shift M ). If the orbits don't intersect, select "Sh periapsis" instead. So my question is how do I know if they intersect and two if they do intercent what do I do? Is there is a video or a good tutriol that would help?

pandadude

Aussie Orbinaut
Reaction score
Okay im still trying to dock with the ISS. Can can get up to the part where I need to snyc my orbit. I just get lost. Im doing the quickstart missions the help guide says, Switch the reference point to "Intersect 1" or "Intersect 2" " ( Shift M ). If the orbits don't intersect, select "Sh periapsis" instead. So my question is how do I know if they intersect and two if they do intercent what do I do? Is there is a video or a good tutriol that would help?

What I usually do is the following

• Set the ISS (or whatever you're trying to dock with) as the target on the Orbit MFD.
  • When the ISS gets to your PeA on Orbit MFD, look to see what Orbit MFD says is the ISS' altitude is (or its radius, depending on what distance setting you have set the Orbiter MFD to). You should look for either Alt or Rad on the ISS orbital properties.
  • When you get to your ApA, burn prograde to raise your PeA up to whatever Rad or Alt the ISS was at when it was at the position of its orbit. Before you start the prograde burn, open up the Sync Orbit MFD (keep the Orbit MFD open as well). Once you get your PeA up to the right altitude, an intersection should appear on the Sync Orbit MFD. Just keep burning until one appears. In the process of doing this, your PeA may become your ApA - don't let this confuse you as it did me!
  • If at this point it is going to take a looooong time for your orbits to sync, wait until you get back to the point in your orbit where it intersects the ISS' orbit, then burn prograde to make your orbit last longer than the ISS'. That way, eventually the ISS will 'catch up' to you and you will meet at the point where you have the same altitude in your orbits.
  • Now you have to dock!
Most of this came from the Go Play in Space tutorial I believe. Go give it a try. I also has loads of other useful tutorials in it as well. Every Orbiteer should read it!

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've found that I don't use the sync orbit mfd at all.
Here's what I do:
get into circular orbit of just over 200km
Align planes with target
Use Transfer MFD to conduct the rendezvous

This method works best if you're able to time your launch such that when you arrive in orbit you're only a few degrees behind the target, but whatever the phase relationship, if you wait long enough in that lower orbit, you'll catch up eventually.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
You may like this tutorial to learn about orbital Sync
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3074"]Tutorial: DG to ISS[/ame]

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score