New Release Terrain ToolKit

llarian

Reaction score
It does indicate where the data goes when you import. If, for some reason, you are just exporting, the Save window that comes up lets you put the dds image wherever you want.

I will test the import section, when I am aware enough to do so. I should never work on something new late into the evening.

Regards

The first post explains where the data goes.
Check Orbiter documentation about the surface tile system (PlanetTextures.PDF) for an explanation about about levels and tile trees.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I manged to get some level 13 textures in ZAZ. I tried level 16 but the tool gave a max of 12.7
Does it mean the max res available for that area is 12.7?

Also I noticed that in the selected area the tiles boundaries are quite visible (seamlines clearly show). Is that normal?

If the max is 12.7 then there are two options of what might be wrong:

1.) The yellow clip rectangle isn't correctly set. It should exists in between the colored corner balls like in the screen shot in the first post. It's not dangerous if it goes a little bit over but if it goes too much then it can mess things up. The yellow rectangle is the import/export area that matters most. Also, it's better to use as low level as practical. As an example if the rectangle can be properly selected at level 14 it shouldn't be selected at level 16.

2.) The import image might not have enough pixels to cover the selected area at level 16

The Orbiter can support level 19 anywhere on Earth so that's not it. Also, taking a screen shot from the import process could help to diagnose of what might be wrong.

Also, should be noted that the Import Tool doesn't clear the output folder. User needs to delete the files between import processes for different areas.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Also I noticed that in the selected area the tiles boundaries are quite visible (seamlines clearly show). Is that normal?

There is "Edge Alpha" setting that can be used to fade the boundaries. If there are annoying seams within the area then I might need to find a way to remove them. Match the tile edges somehow.

llarian

Reaction score
When exporting a texture with the toolkit, will it pick up the microtextures, too? If so, at what level?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Microtextures are a D3D9Client feature, not related with levels.
They are textures that the client displays over Orbiter's terrain, to give the impression of extra detail.

GraF

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Sorry about my English...
Im very sad. Terrain ToolKit not working. Module is enabled, gcGUI is default, version D3D9 is 4.3. What did I forget?
Clipboard01.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Im very sad. Terrain ToolKit not working. Module is enabled, gcGUI is default, version D3D9 is 4.3. What did I forget?

This :

D3D9Client 4.1 rev. 1264 is required. Few days ago released 1263 won't work.

@jarmonik: I can't find a link to rev. 1264 on your website, could you add it back ? Or on the OP of this thread ? Many thanks.

This is great stuff ! :hailprobe:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have added a link to the first post. I can't recompile this add-on for the latest version of the client because it's in a broken state on my hard-drive. I started working on Elevation and Mesh import features and that work got interrupted by something. I would need to find time to get back to this project and finish what I started. Hopefully, after the new PBR shader are in a reliable state.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Take your time, the work you're on with that new PBR shader is truely awesome and should IMHO be given all priority. As long as we have the tool in a working state and any compatible version of the client, it will do. ?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi,
I open the Terrain ToolKit V1.1 (integrated to OpenOrbiter), then "Open Surface", choose my *.jpg picture (I tried 2048x2048), set a yellow rectangle of one of the tile of level 14, then click "Start Import". After I set a pretty high value of "Edge Blend", click "Bake" and "Yes". I obtain one *.dds tile of 512x512 but without blended edges (transparency) in TerrainToolBox directory in the Orbiter root. I move this tile into Orbiter textures and there isn't transparency/blending of the tile edges in the game too.

So, am I doing something wrong, or it's not possible to save a tile with blended (transparent) edges in TerrainToolBox? Namely is there a way to save the blending effect of the "Edge Blend" option in TerrainToolBox?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you missing levels between 13 and 21 in the first image ?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Partially.
Oh, I think I understand the possible cause. In the first image I have custom tile lefels from 15 to 21. And there are default levels from 1 to 13. So the only 14 level doesn't exist. And the tool may think the highest level is 13. It makes sense.