Gaming TES V: Skyrim discussion thread

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, a magic map could do it. But it would deserve a serious quest to get it :yes:

Ark

Reaction score
More like buying a new system or upgrading everything. :p

Which PC gamers accept as a fact of life anyway. We haven't been sitting on the same antiquated hardware since 2005. :lol:

I think I got this computer in 2006, and the motherboard is literally the ONLY component besides the case that I haven't replaced. And since the Core 2 series CPUs are basically dead and buried, I'll probably be going for a new motherboard with an AM3 socket sometime soon.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
My rig isn't exactly top of the line, but to get it running with recommended specs (High graphics) I just need some RAM and a CPU upgrade, I want to try and get the RAM before the game releases.

In all honesty, it's not as expensive as you might think if you look for the right parts, I got my 1GB GPU for only $40 because it was branded as Gigabyte rather than nVidia, no big deal and a huge discount from the nVidia branded version.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i bought this laptop for $900, 2 years ago. i think it will still be at least another year or 2 before i even have to turn the graphics down on a new game. then theres always the option of some shiny new upgrades :)

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
i bought this laptop for $900, 2 years ago. i think it will still be at least another year or 2 before i even have to turn the graphics down on a new game. then theres always the option of some shiny new upgrades :)
Upgrading laptops can get pretty tricky... most hardware is designed to fit in big empty desktop cases, not small, compact laptop cases, you can get hardware made specifically for laptops, but it tends to be pretty low-end. :dry:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Nobody upgrades a PC for one game; PC gamers tend to see the longer term. My 560ti was a £200 investment in my rig's gaming potential; Nine months after purchase it still allows my rig to outperform the top-end consoles and will continue to do so for a while to come. I go through expensive components vastly slower than new consoles come out, and the £500 I'd have had to pay for a brand new PS3 at time of release is way over and above what I'd spend on a gaming upgrade of equal performance.

With that said, I will propose now that the consoles vs PC argument should not continue here, but should take a thread of its own if it is to continue.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Reading the thread, I feel as if I'm the only one who played more towards the thief role. I always found sneaking about to be a lot more fun (and challenging) than simply clubbing the next big bad guy over the head with something heavy. When in combat I usually relied on a combination of archery and conjuration magic (conjured skeletons make for great decoys while you pick monsters off!). Not unsuprisingly, my favorite race was/is Wood Elf. :)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Reading the thread, I feel as if I'm the only one who played more towards the thief role.

Nope, you're not. Although I went more for an archer/swordsman/enchanter thief. But it's ridicoulously easy in the beginning when you have an enchanted item that provides you with a bound bow. I used to get pretty high in enchantement, then make an item to boost my enchantement skill incredibly for a second or so, bought a few scrolls of summon golden saint, soultrap and bound bow, nicked all the great soulgems I could find, and went on a small camping trip to where noone would get hurt.

Summon golden saint, summon daedric bow, soultrap, shoot the darn thing before it strangles me, rinse, repeat. I could do that comfortably on level 5, so by the time I reached level 10 there were no great soulgems in all of morrowind, and I was basically a magic tank that could move very, very quietly...

Oh yeah, let's not forgett about Vivec-in-a-pocket. That was some convienience...

bujin

Reaction score
Reading the thread, I feel as if I'm the only one who played more towards the thief role. I always found sneaking about to be a lot more fun (and challenging) than simply clubbing the next big bad guy over the head with something heavy. When in combat I usually relied on a combination of archery and conjuration magic (conjured skeletons make for great decoys while you pick monsters off!). Not unsuprisingly, my favorite race was/is Wood Elf. :)

I can't remember what type, but I definitely went for some kind of Elf in Oblivion, and played stealthily with thief tendencies. I guess that's cos my favourite game series is Thief... (Can't wait for Thief 4, whether it has Garrett in it or not!)

Looking forward to some more assassination fun with the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim too!

I have it on pre-order, but unfortunately, Batman: Arkham City is released on the same day (PC) and I've preordered that too, so I could have a difficult time working out which one to play first...

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
but theres nothing more satisfying than taking a long shot with a bow, considering their movement, gravity and distance into account, only to see that it hit them right in the neck/head

i used do love scamp hunting in the wastes purely for the open spaces that you can curl an arrow over and still get a solid hit through the head

and enchanted arrows are always cheating :mad:

Wonderer

Reaction score
I play as a heavily armored, shield wielding maniac :lol: Disregard number of enemies, charge in! Mace to the face!

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
First playthrough, an ugly nordic scarfaced walking tank yielding a two handed sword (or axe), with a heart of gold.
Second, a neutral but mean looking (little cowardish) dark elf, who is only in it for the money and prefers back stabbing and throat cutting over an honest face to face fight.
And last but not least, a power hungry sociopathic sorcerer of which I'm not sure what race to pick as I never played a mage yet.
So first: Neutral Good.
Second: Chaotic Neutral.
And third: Lawful Evil.
By the time this is done they probably publish the elder scrolls VI.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Just got a text saying my pre-ordered copy of Skyrim is ready to pick up. A little skeptical since the game isn't due out until tomorrow, but I'm going up to EB Games after dinner, fingers crossed. :)

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

I just got back with my EB Games edition of Skyrim, can't install it untill midnight though. :p

To be honest, the map is a little disappointing, it isn't on cloth as it was advertised, more of a fabricy textured plastic. :(

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
even if you did get the game early, it wont install (or run on consoles) because its programmed not to.

on consoles, the game wont run without a patch that is only released on the release date, which is why MW3 patched on the first opening

i know MW3 is a poor game, but in my defence, my brother bought it, not me, and im just sating my hunger for shooters before i can afford BF3

but thats OT, please dont start a big OT offspin on this thread and get me into trouble.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
even if you did get the game early, it wont install (or run on consoles) because its programmed not to.
I'm aware of that, I said so in my post above. :p

Either way, I'm waiting until tomorrow so I can install and play for an hour or so before going to bed.
*Sets alarm 20 minutes later*
That should be fine. :lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
on consoles, the game wont run without a patch that is only released on the release date, which is why MW3 patched on the first opening
What, seriously?! This is utter :censored:. I won't be able to play Skyrim at all because of this; my Xbox can't be connected to the internet.