Gaming TES V: Skyrim discussion thread

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
What, seriously?! This is utter :censored:. I won't be able to play Skyrim at all because of this; my Xbox can't be connected to the internet.

This is also a question of mine.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
What, seriously?! This is utter :censored:. I won't be able to play Skyrim at all because of this; my Xbox can't be connected to the internet.
Just out of interest, why can't you connect your 360 to the internet? Do you not have a LAN cable lying around somewhere?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Waiting in line at the gamestop for it now. This is the last time I get something in person...from now on it's steam for me. I could've been playing the game for nearly three hours now.

---------- Post added 11-11-11 at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was 11-10-11 at 23:45 ----------

Installing now, and yay I get to deal with Steam anyway. I guess the "Games for Windows" logo on the front doesn't actually mean anything, since it'll probably be fake Steam achievements instead of real Xbox Live ones.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a physical disc if I'll always have to be logged in to Steam to play anyway. I really hate this kind of thing.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Installing now, and yay I get to deal with Steam anyway. I guess the "Games for Windows" logo on the front doesn't actually mean anything, since it'll probably be fake Steam achievements instead of real Xbox Live ones.
Personally I think Steam is far better than Windows LIVE, but that's just me. :p

bujin

Reaction score

Lucky you! Mine arrived yesterday. I popped the disc in the drive and tried to install it. "Noooooo! You can't do that! It hasn't reached the release date yet!"

:facepalm:

Still, I was out last night anyway so I couldn't have played it. Something for me to do tonight. Although I *was* just getting back into playing STALKER: Call of Pripyat. I guess that will have to take a back seat again for a while...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Personally I think Steam is far better than Windows LIVE, but that's just me. :p
I dislike how intrusive steam is. Sure, it might be a more complete experience, but when I just want it to get out of my way and let me play the game, I think the GFWL infrastructure is much nicer.

That and real achievements!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I dislike how intrusive steam is. Sure, it might be a more complete experience, but when I just want it to get out of my way and let me play the game

I agree wholeheartedly!

I launched steam last night just to see how much Skyrim would cost. It had to download an update then it wouldn't let me search because it had some ad or another to show me and by the time I'd gotten to the bit I wanted I had already bought it from Amazon. It'll arrive Saturday or Monday which is fine for me and it was £7 cheaper from Amazon anyway plus I as I ordered it a few hours prior to the big date I get the special pre-release map version.

I find steam annoying and expensive. It doesn't help that they have been hacked and lost data either.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I agree wholeheartedly!

I launched steam last night just to see how much Skyrim would cost. It had to download an update then it wouldn't let me search because it had some ad or another to show me and by the time I'd gotten to the bit I wanted I had already bought it from Amazon. It'll arrive Saturday or Monday which is fine for me and it was £7 cheaper from Amazon anyway plus I as I ordered it a few hours prior to the big date I get the special pre-release map version.

I find steam annoying and expensive. It doesn't help that they have been hacked and lost data either.

Expensive? Have you ever seen one of the major sales?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Expensive? Have you ever seen one of the major sales?

Yes via adverts plastered all over it when all I wanted to do was download a patch. They were also for games I had no interest in.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just out of interest, why can't you connect your 360 to the internet? Do you not have a LAN cable lying around somewhere?
Not one that's 15 metres long, no. Besides that, right now is the first time my internet has worked since whenever my last post was. If I need to be logged in to any bullcrap 'service' to play this game it's simply not going to happen. I hate living in the bush. :facepalm:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Izack - Grab yourself an RJ-45 coupler. Great for being able to link to RJ-45 cables together.

7yf7_Yp2ecSDCn4slmSOzfWGsB-pjTJcQER-TfaGWWcR0zQHGuUy4v4RGB5_mPWxPRd7XzmD68lqppYK15fDGUurxSsd-4T4JGmI0pifqcRPNpZ32VnseoN4Z2DjhWU

My copy of skyrim should be arriving in the post tomorrow. I am in no rush.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
My copy of skyrim should be arriving in the post tomorrow. I am in no rush.
You're in rush. I'll probably buy it on Christmas. :p

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
My copy arrived earlier today, I've played it for about two hours so far and I really don't see myself doing anything but play it for the next few days :lol:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Not one that's 15 metres long, no. Besides that, right now is the first time my internet has worked since whenever my last post was. If I need to be logged in to any bullcrap 'service' to play this game it's simply not going to happen. I hate living in the bush. :facepalm:
I had that problem once, too. I bought a cheapo wireless router, flashed it with DDWRT, configured it to be a client bridge off of my other router, and put it right on top of my xbox.

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
To my surprise the program detected my system and put settings to "high".
I quess my graphic card isn't as bad as I thought. :thumbup:
It's pretty gorgeous.
Leveling is a bit fast though.
Still busy with my first dungeon and I'm already level 4.
( Oke, it's a big one but still....)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I love the game and how great it looks (my "minimum specs" graphics card runs it fine on Medium, have a new graphics card I'll be popping in tonight for even more eye candy), and a lot of the gameplay elements that were terrible from Oblivion have been fixed. The crafting system is pretty nice, although it would be cool if you had more control over what your stuff looked like, rather than just crafting the same generic armor that you can already get in the world. The new lockpicking is interesting--I'm still thinking I don't like it. I'm still somewhat ambivalent on the perks trees--I like the choice that it offers you, but part of me prefers the Oblivion system of "the more you use a skill the more perks you have in it." Time will tell, I guess.

The interface, however...dear god is the interface a giant step backwards from Oblivion on the PC, even the unmodded version of Oblivion's interface. Large flat lists of nothing but the name instead of the stats, some kind of weird "well, your mouse is over this one and you can click, but if you hit the key it'll pick something different" thing going on, unable to close chests by hitting E again like Oblivion, unable to properly remap the keys (I tried to move some things around but some parts of the game just didn't work anymore).

The "favorites" list is possibly useful for consoles, but for PC I just want proper hotkeys. I can't figure out a pattern to which hand a hotkeyed item shows up in--spells seem to show up in the offhand initially unless they're already in your offhand in which case they show up in your main hand, weapons always show up in your main hand, etc. It would be nice if you could assign a mainhand/offhand per hotkey, so a hotkey can switch either hand or both.

I really get the feeling that the PC version was even more of an afterthought than with Oblivion, which is pretty impressive given how much of an afterthought it was for Oblivion.

Hopefully there will be some mods soon that fix all the glaring issues with the PC interface.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

You don't need to be connected to the internet to play.