Gaming TES V: Skyrim discussion thread

Ark

Reaction score
30x damage for sneak attack? How'd you manage that? Wouldn't it just be 15x damage for sneak attack (with a 100% bonus always)?

And yes, you can get a soul trap enchant. I have a dagger enchanted with soul trap for my offhand and one enchanted with fire for my mainhand. When I do a stealthkill dual wield power attack, they both hit, so I get the soul.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out where you got the extra 2x sneak attack from :)

15x damage from dagger perk, and certain items you stumble upon in Thief's Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests yield an extra 2x damage for sneak attacks. I figured it would just come out to be 16x, but no, I get a 30x damage message when I sneak attack. Awesome. Is there anybody in Skyrim I couldn't theoretically kill with a dagger to the back?

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
15x damage from dagger perk, and certain items you stumble upon in Thief's Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests yield an extra 2x damage for sneak attacks. I figured it would just come out to be 16x, but no, I get a 30x damage message when I sneak attack. Awesome. Is there anybody in Skyrim I couldn't theoretically kill with a dagger to the back?
Essential NPCs. :p
Kind of mad that they still exist TBH.

Ark

Reaction score
Essential NPCs. :p
Kind of mad that they still exist TBH.

Right, seemed odd that my squaddies never died.

I kinda miss the old Oblivion/Morrowind thing where it just gives you a message informing you that your dumb ass broke the game by killing a certain NPC. :lol:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
woah, shield is the way to go!

at the levels where trolls take a couple of potions to kill, i managed one with just a flesh wound (not a monty python flesh wound mind you) using the power bash

just block, bash, then hack at them with an axe whilst they're staggered! power bash can even stagger a frost troll, and uses LESS stamina (I think)

not to mention the cool shields later on that add bleeding damage, and the perk to make it REALLY hurt them :D

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
woah, shield is the way to go!

at the levels where trolls take a couple of potions to kill, i managed one with just a flesh wound (not a monty python flesh wound mind you) using the power bash

just block, bash, then hack at them with an axe whilst they're staggered! power bash can even stagger a frost troll, and uses LESS stamina (I think)

not to mention the cool shields later on that add bleeding damage, and the perk to make it REALLY hurt them :D
Personally I find that stunning them repeatedly with a dual-sword flurry works best, it's well worth the stamina it uses. (Not to mention I have a ton of stamina potions :p)

Unstung

Reaction score
Oblivion installs DirectX 9.0 itself, so my graphics card is fine. I can now mod the hell out of it, hehe. It would be boring to repeat the story again without any mods. However, Oblivion seems so archaic now that I have many hours on Skyrim. I still have a long while to go on Skyrim so Oblivion can wait.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Personally I find that stunning them repeatedly with a dual-sword flurry works best, it's well worth the stamina it uses. (Not to mention I have a ton of stamina potions :p)

umm... nope, ill stick with the shield, being able to block everything (most of weapon damage, all of arrow damage and 75% of spell damage) at will, AND be able to give yourself a free coupld of hits is well worth the effort. all i need is a good enchantment and ill be able to do it constantly without using too much stamina, and i also have far too many stamina pots, since i dont use them often :p

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wood Elf Mage here.

When taking on large baddies, I tend to go for the dual-hand destruction spells. I can cast Fireball, which does 51 damage per hand in a 15 foot radius, plus more with the dual-wield Destruction perk. (This is excellent for me since I tend to miss. :lol:) I'll also summon a Fire Atronach to keep everyone occupied while the magicka recharges a bit, and between it and my subsequent fireballs, I've yet to encounter anything recently that could truly kill me.

Making this all possible, I should point out that I have 320 points of magicka base, with numerous items worn to fortify magicka and magicka regeneration. The College of Winterhold quest line gives some great magicka-related gear! :)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wood Elf Mage here.

When taking on large baddies, I tend to go for the dual-hand destruction spells. I can cast Fireball, which does 51 damage per hand in a 15 foot radius, plus more with the dual-wield Destruction perk. (This is excellent for me since I tend to miss. :lol:) I'll also summon a Fire Atronach to keep everyone occupied while the magicka recharges a bit, and between it and my subsequent fireballs, I've yet to encounter anything recently that could truly kill me.

Making this all possible, I should point out that I have 320 points of magicka base, with numerous items worn to fortify magicka and magicka regeneration. The College of Winterhold quest line gives some great magicka-related gear! :)
Note that magicka regeneration bonuses don't actually work in combat--just your base magicka regeneration which is a function of how much magicka you have.

In other words, if your magicka regeneration in combat is problematic, the only solutions are +magicka enchants/potions or restore magicka potions--magicka regeneration enchants or potions don't have any effect in combat.

In other news, I just hit 100 smithing. Very disappointed that there's no dragon weapons, meaning I need to go all the way up the "heavy" side of the tree to daedric in order to be able to craft the best weapons, but looking forward to getting decked out...

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Note that magicka regeneration bonuses don't actually work in combat--just your base magicka regeneration which is a function of how much magicka you have.

Oh, well that would explain why I never seem to recover magicka as quickly when I'm hacking/slashing at those giants over yonder. Ugh. :facepalm:

Unstung

Reaction score
In other news, I just hit 100 smithing. Very disappointed that there's no dragon weapons, meaning I need to go all the way up the "heavy" side of the tree to daedric in order to be able to craft the best weapons, but looking forward to getting decked out...
How are you able to obtain a sufficient amount of ingots to level up smithing to 100 so soon?

bujin

Reaction score
I managed to get infected with vampirism and didn't notice until the guards started attacking me on sight - what I'm told is "stage 4". I have now managed to be cured though, and am back exploring.

Starting to get a bit more evil too, trying to build up to a career in the Dark Brotherhood. And I may try a bit of thievery later today too.

Have to say that I'm not as impressed by the cities in Skyrim as I was in Oblivion.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Have to say that I'm not as impressed by the cities in Skyrim as I was in Oblivion.
In Oblivion, you could definitely see the differences in architecture, they were noticeable, but never really made a big impact, in Skyrim I find the cities (for the most part) are far easier to distinguish and each have their own character.
Whiterun has it's flowing water and you it's hill that gets higher as you go further into the city.
Riften has it's river and very harbourlike features.
Solitude is built on top of a huge arch, under which ships can pass on their way out into the sea.
Morthal has it's distinctive wooden buildings and lacks the surrounding wall of most of the other hold capitals.
Windhelm has it's very cramped feeling, and has the town divided into different quarters in which different kinds of people live.
Winterhold has the flooded ruins of what used to be a great city hauntingly visible to the north, not to mention the large, almost foreboding College.
Can't speak so much for the other capitals, as I've barely set foot in Falkreath before I had a quest to do, I merely went to Dawnstar to get somewhere for a quest, so never really payed it much attention and have yet to visit Markarth.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How are you able to obtain a sufficient amount of ingots to level up smithing to 100 so soon?
Every blacksmith in the world has 5-20 iron ingots every day, and I also did lots of mining.

I didn't even really buy ingots that much--I would just buy iron ore whenever I saw it, smelt it into ingots, make daggers, enchant them, then sell them for big profit.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BTW if any of you are getting frequent CTDs where Skyrim just dumps you back to Windows with no message, check out this open-source loader for Skyrim that makes it LAA (Large-Address-Aware) [source is included]: it fixed all the CTDs I was getting. [Skyrim kept running out of memory, apparently.] Works seamlessly with the Steam version, too. :tiphat:

Be sure the follow the readme. If you're running on a 32-bit version of Windows you will need to boot Widows with the /3GB startup switch as well, and that can be a little wonky, so the LAA Skyrim loader works best on x64 operating systems.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BTW if any of you are getting frequent CTDs where Skyrim just dumps you back to Windows with no message, check out this open-source loader for Skyrim that makes it LAA (Large-Address-Aware) [source is included]: it fixed all the CTDs I was getting. [Skyrim kept running out of memory, apparently.] Works seamlessly with the Steam version, too. :tiphat:

Be sure the follow the readme. If you're running on a 32-bit version of Windows you will need to boot Widows with the /3GB startup switch as well, and that can be a little wonky, so the LAA Skyrim loader works best on x64 operating systems.
I thought that the LAA loaders were broken with the last Steam update that encrypted the binary?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Brother recently bought this for the xbox; it needed no 'net connection. Don't have any time to play it for now, but probably won't. We bumpkins don't have big enough televisions to play new games with their mega-widescreen-turbo-HD-hyper-X-optimisation and unreadable tiny text. :lol:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I thought that the LAA loaders were broken with the last Steam update that encrypted the binary?

I'm running the Steam version and it runs for me, so either he updated it again (the latest build is dated November 23rd) or my Steam version didn't patch yet. As I understand Steam the binaries are always encrypted. From looking at the source he uses DLL injection to do the magic, which would bypass Steam's on-load decryption.

EDIT:
According to the developer he updated it to work after the Steam patch. More info here.

Last edited:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I used to have a life, then my PC took a Skyrim to the disc drive. :lol:

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Listen to this :

Now this is a bard I would pay 25 coins for. :)

Last edited: