Rant The great I HATE INTRUSIVE ADS AND CRAPWARE!!!! thread

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello all,
Welcome to yet another thread,

So, lets get to it.

WARNING: If you are not good at hating and screaming and being totally, HUMONGOUSly angry, don't read this thread.

This thread is a thread for those who-
HATE :swear word: INTRUSIVE POP-UP ADS THAT TAKE UP MOST OF THE PAGE AND THE :swear word: :swear word: COVER-ALL-OF-THE-SCREEN ADS THAT RUIN THE SITES WE LOVE SO MUCH like Youtube and the stuff like that-AND THOSE FACEBOOK APPS THAT AUTOMATICALLY POST A FAKE COMMENT OR POST WHEREVER YOU GO AND MAKE OTHERS THINK YOU ARE CRAZY, AND BAN YOU FROM GROUPS AND THE LIKE, AND :swear word: ADWARE AND SPYWARE STEAL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND KEEP TRACKING WHERE YOU GO AND DISPLAYING THE MOST ANNOYING POPUPS IN THE MOST ANNOYING WAY THEY CAN SO YOU CAN'T DO WHAT YOU CAME TO DO AND INSTEAD HAVE TO SPEND 70% OF THE TIME DEALING AND THOSE ADVERTISERS WHO BEHAVE AS IF YOU SPEND SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY JUST TO VIEW THEIR :swear word: AD AND DON'T LET YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE WITHOUT DOING WHAT THEY WANTED YOU TO DO!!!!!!
And also all those other crapware that keep bugging today's world just for the sake of keeping some rich boss in his seat :(!!!

Last edited:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Caps lock overload

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
But how do you really feel?

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But how do you really feel?

peanuts.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Everytime, I see a pop-up window that only exists for opening more popup windows when I try to close it, I shut down Javascript and Flash, kick out the pop-up, and send a 9-line message to the next A-10 for strafing the company HQ of the advertiser.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I suggest NoScript for eliminating all the popups, etc , and going in and changing Facebook app permissions so they can only post with the privacy level of "only me"-then no one sees those posts.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I can't think of a good reason to say 'Accept' to any Facebook app that asks to post on my behalf... It told you exactly what it would do and at some point you said that was okay.
Intrusive ads are avoided by never visiting sites that use them again, or else installing AdBlock and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware when cautiously proceeding into sketchy websites.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, AdBlock browser plugin. Makes the internet much more friendly.

I watch a lot of YouTube and while I find the ads annoying, I still don't use AdBlock, so that creators receive revenue for their work.

I suggest NoScript for eliminating all the popups, etc , and going in and changing Facebook app permissions so they can only post with the privacy level of "only me"-then no one sees those posts.

I also don't use any script blockers. Vast majority of the problems can be eliminated with a slight change in your browsing habits.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I watch a lot of YouTube and while I find the ads annoying, I still don't use AdBlock, so that creators receive revenue for their work.

You can click the extension's button to whitelist a site. At least in Chrome.
And as I understand it, another AdBlock extension lets you whitelist specific channels.

I agree with the sentiment. I'm hesitant to use AdBlock.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can click the extension's button to whitelist a site. At least in Chrome.
And as I understand it, another AdBlock extension lets you whitelist specific channels.

I agree with the sentiment. I'm hesitant to use AdBlock.

It's not just YouTube.

Very often I read tutorials online that have ads displayed. Or other one-off sites. I don't mind it if a banner ad helps pay for a site to run or even turn a profit for the author. Somebody had to invest some of their free time to provide content that I want to see. At least I'm gonna be nice enough to not block their source of income for it :p

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, advertisers.
As said by both Bansky and Zen Pencils:
2014-07-03-banksy.jpg

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
These ads make me cringe:

"Cheat on your wife with this site"
"Life is short have an affair"
"Engage in dangerous and disgusting sex with random internet strangers"
"Ugly girls want love too"

MattBaker

Reaction score
Watch less adult videos then, the ads are just based on your internet history.:tiphat:

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Watch less adult videos then, the ads are just based on your internet history.:tiphat:

The ads I receive don't usually reflect my internet history. For example, I mostly get gambling ads... Though I have little interest in gambling and I'm not legally able to gamble. I also get crank libertarian political ads. And a good percentage of my targeted ads is in Spanish and Arabic.

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ummm, yeah, probably an infected computer. Youll have to deal with that unfortunately.

Ive never personally seen popup ads from Youtube, that could especially be evidence of an infected computer.

If it really bothers you, feel free to go scream at the sky for a couple of minutes. Malware & adware will never really go away anyways :shrug:

Jeez, Im too young to be cynical...

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
This is why I use Adguard 5 -- it even blocks ads in YouTube videos. It's payware but worth every cent (to me). :tiphat:

After all, "How much is your sanity worth in dollars?" :p