Base The missing AMSO landing sites?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Since I'm going to have a little time on my hands & I've got some new software I've been meaning to try out, I was just wondering...is there a need for the "missing" AMSO landing sites (Censorinus, Marius Hills, Copernicus & Tycho), or have they been done elsewhere and I just missed them?

Chub777

Reaction score
Tycho is included in the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4786"]Apollo 20[/ame] pack. As for the others, I don't think they've been made yet.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What I meant was to do them with good terrain modeling software (using LRO image textures).

Wasn't sure if anyone had done a good 3d moon yet for Orbiter's internal graphics (I'm aware that there is at least one that runs on an external graphics client, but not all of us can run OGLA, or are not happy with the trade-offs when using it).

Just trying to gauge interest. Otherwise, I've still got the Gemini Recovery Ops to finish.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Can't even see what you've provided links to. Haven't been to AVSIM since they were hacked & appartently, my account no longer exists.

Are these by any chance the old sites for NASSP? If so, they were nice for their time, but I'm aiming for something considerably more detailed.

Moon3d was nice from orbit, but even with adjustments to the mesh diameter, IIRC it never worked right at surface level. I'm talking about up-to-date, hi def meshes for those landing sites (this software supposedly has the capability to do just that) that are "plug'n play" for the majority.

As I said, its not that I lack for things to do, but wanted to try this software and thought I might as well apply it to a subject that interested me. If there's not much general interest, that's okay, I'll just move my "experiment" to the back burner and go finish the Gemini stuff.

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Can't even see what you've provided links to. Haven't been to AVSIM since they were hacked & appartently, my account no longer exists.

Are these by any chance the old sites for NASSP? If so, they were nice for their time, but I'm aiming for something considerably more detailed.

Moon3d was nice from orbit, but even with adjustments to the mesh diameter, IIRC it never worked right at surface level. I'm talking about up-to-date, hi def meshes for those landing sites (this software supposedly has the capability to do just that) that are "plug'n play" for the majority.

As I said, its not that I lack for things to do, but wanted to try this software and thought I might as well apply it to a subject that interested me. If there's not much general interest, that's okay, I'll just move my "experiment" to the back burner and go finish the Gemini stuff.

I think those were the ones from NASSP. But you got my interest :thumbup:!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yes please. Local terrain is always good to make the site more interesting.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'd love to see something like this Saturn V. Hopefully I'm not the voice of the minority, either. I love the high-rez Moon textures available with 2010, and been hoping someone would recreate Moon3d but one that actually worked at the surface.

If you indeed do a project like this, please consider doing the poles. There's some really good reference photos available from the LRO and its predecessor. You wouldn't have to actually create 13+ km craters, either - but the current textures make the poles look downright surreal (not that that can't be fun, but it is highly unrealistic and unrepresentative of reality).

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I'm not looking to redo Moon3D in its entirety, just a few of the originally selected Apollo sites we never actually got to.

IF...and please notice, that's a BIG "if", the software does what it claims, I'd consider maybe doing a few other sites that were along the CSM/LM track that might've been reasonable proposals.

Let's see how this pans out first...

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Good 3D terrain is always appreciated by this user. It's just totally immersion breaking for me to land on absolutely flat terrain on a world or moon supposedly rocky.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Then I guess I'll take a crack at 'em. Stay tuned...

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
HOLY :censored: !!! :lol:

Y'know what...lemme check some of my some of my external drives. I'm sure I saw those files not too long ago.

I'll PM you in the next day or two.