Problem Time Warp Causing Landed Vessel to fly into space

dundun92

Reaction score
As the title says, whenever I exceed 100x time warp (sometimes even when I hit 100x) on the ground, vessels are jumping into the air, and ending some sort of escape trajectory. It happens with both the stock DG and the XR-2. I'm running Orbiter 2016.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
As the title says, whenever I exceed 100x time warp (sometimes even when I hit 100x) on the ground, vessels are jumping into the air, and ending some sort of escape trajectory. It happens with both the stock DG and the XR-2. I'm running Orbiter 2016.

When you land a vessel, it remains "in-flight state" unless it is perfectly stationary with no thrusters firing for 5 seconds, and then it goes into "landed state". When landed, the vessel will remain fixed on the surface, but if it is still "in-flight", time acceleration will make it jump and sayonara (the aero, gear mechanics and orbital mechanics simply aren't stable with a very low sampling).
The (best) way you can change the vessel state to "landed" is by putting the brakes on for 5 seconds, and you should see the AOA meter in Surface MFD the stop moving = you are now in "landed state".

dundun92

Reaction score
When you land a vessel, it remains "in-flight state" unless it is perfectly stationary with no thrusters firing for 5 seconds, and then it goes into "landed state". When landed, the vessel will remain fixed on the surface, but if it is still "in-flight", time acceleration will make it jump and sayonara (the aero, gear mechanics and orbital mechanics simply aren't stable with a very low sampling).
The (best) way you can change the vessel state to "landed" is by putting the brakes on for 5 seconds, and you should see the AOA meter in Surface MFD the stop moving = you are now in "landed state".

Thanks, will try later!

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Additionaly, if GLS' method doesn't work, you can force the vessel to be in "landed" configuration by setting its coordinates in the Scenario Editor.

If you haven't already, enable the Scenario Editor under Orbiter Launchpad -> Modules -> Tools and dialogs -> ScnEditor, and thereafter you can access it in the simulator by pressing Ctrl+F4.
Then, when on the surface, but still bouncing around (check AoA in Surface MFD, as GLS said):
  1. Open Scenario Editor
  2. Click Edit after having selected your vessel
  3. Press Location
  4. Press Apply
You should now be static on the ground, at the same location.

dundun92

Reaction score
So neither method worked for the XR-2. Even after being initially stopped from the scenario editor, it went back to the active state. But since I was just trying to get to a launch window, moving the time forward on the scenario editor worked perfectly. Thanks for the help though.

dundun92

Reaction score
Pretty big bump, but just in case someone reads this... turns out its an issue specifically with the takeoff to ISS scenario for some odd reason. All the other KSC missions for it are fine.

EDIT: it actuallly doesnt appear to be solely mission specific. The ascent to ISS is broken 100% of the time, and some of the custom skin ones work most of the time, but not always. Not sure what to make of it

sigh found the problem... the joystick axis in Fly By Wire used for RCS apparently needed a deadzone, net effect was there was always a tiny RCS force causing an acceleration at all times. Discovered it by emptying fuel tanks to see if that had any effect, and emptying RCS did. To confirm, i tested with no joystick/fly by wire and it works fine.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Glad you've found out, but for "rebellious cases" of misbehaving surface vessels (which can happen), there's Parking Brake MFD (coded by @asbjos ) ;)

Stebb

Reaction score
Of course, the easy solution for this issue is to set the attitude thrusters to OFF before increasing the time warp.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Of course, the easy solution for this issue is to set the attitude thrusters to OFF before increasing the time warp.

Yes and no. In 2016 the vessel-surface interaction is something complex and a bit touchy. It might not always be enough.