TransX TransX Manoeuvre setting - Problem...getting from LEO to Mars

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Ok... I guess this is something that could be helpful for others too. Assuming you're in an LEO want to get to mars.
I made the ejection plan on stage 2. Got a nice prediction and now I have to setup the manoeuvre.
Fine with the Dv (it's just suggested so easy to setup)
Fine with the Dt (I'll adjust my self to minimize the distance from planet)

But how to properly align the plan? I've seen tutorials and it's all about rotating the EJ orientation and adjusting some +/- thrust... or, at least, it's how I understood.

Some says I have to just rotate the ej till get the minimum value and, at that point, put the Incl. and Lan in the Align Plane MFD and try to get to that value.
Sounds reasonable as action but still, once going to manouver, i got horrid results.

Where am I wrong?

0007.jpg

Last edited:

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
I've added a scenario too. Seem impossible to get a decent manouver result... I'm around 200M meter and whicever variable I'm changing I do not see any
improvement...

Attachments

• TransX-Mars-test.scn
    8.4 KB · Views: 4

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Easy fix dude.

Your scenario when loaded looks like this.

Image%204_zpsm5cxc4iq.png

Notice that the white dotted line which represents the inclination of your orbit doesn't fall over the yellow dotted lines.

So I adjusted the plane change value until the white dotted line fell over the yellow dotted lines.

Image%205_zpsfeiw9at9.png

Then, after playing around with the Prograde, plane change & Man. Date values some more, I was able to get the minimum distance low enough to get(and crash) into mars.

Image%206_zpssr8kwqoq.png

Hopefully, you are using the latest version of TransX, if not, here are the links:

Orbiter 2016 - [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6393"]TransX 2016.04.04 MMExt for Orbiter 2016[/ame]
Orbiter 2010 - [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6987"]TransX 2016.04.04 MMExt for Orbiter 2010[/ame]

Scenario attached below.

Attachments

• Test.scn
    8.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Easy fix dude.

Your scenario when loaded looks like this.

Image%204_zpsm5cxc4iq.png

Notice that the white dotted line which represents the inclination of your orbit doesn't fall over the yellow dotted lines.

So I adjusted the plane change value until the white dotted line fell over the yellow dotted lines.

Image%205_zpsfeiw9at9.png

Then, after playing around with the Prograde, plane change & Man. Date values some more, I was able to get the minimum distance low enough to get(and crash) into mars.

Image%206_zpssr8kwqoq.png

Hopefully, you are using the latest version of TransX, if not, here are the links:

Orbiter 2016 - TransX 2016.04.04 MMExt for Orbiter 2016
Orbiter 2010 - TransX 2016.04.04 MMExt for Orbiter 2010

Scenario attached below.

Thankyou so much!

I'll have a look at everyone of your suggestion in detail.

---------- Post added 09-21-16 at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-20-16 at 07:56 PM ----------

I wonder...
all modifications you made were in maneuver mode weren't they?

I'm still not able to get better than 150M meter distance...

downloaderfan

Reaction score
I wonder...
all modifications you made were in maneuver mode weren't they?

I'm still not able to get better than 150M meter distance...

Yes, all modifications I made were in maneuver mode. Open up the scenario that you've uploaded here in your second post & change the Ch. plane vel. value from 69 to -249. That's what I meant by making the white dotted line completely fall over the yellow dotted lines, that's what I've shown in the first 2 images of my last post, look at them carefully. When I make a plan in TransX, instead of looking at the Cl. App value right from the very beginning, I first make the white dotted line (inclination) completely fall over the yellow dotted line & then and only then I look at the Cl. App value. TransX is not completely trial & error as most people think it to be, you need to know what your doing. :hello:

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

For even more clarity, look at the images below.

Look at the lines represented by the two arrows. The plane change value is 69.

Now again look at the line represented by the single arrow. The plane change value is now -249. The white & yellow dotted lines completely fall over each other & look almost like a single line.

Last edited:

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Thankyou a lot!
That plane change made the difference as the end.

Basically what I missed after that is that the very fine tuning of variables is a bit tricky. I discovered when I add and subtract a value (expecially on man. date time) I do not get initial value.

I discovered setting the variables manually using ENT is much better.

Now I have some issues in the effective application of maneouver and following corrections but it's just matter of practice and some patience.

I owe you a beer, dude!