Flight Question TransX struggle and AutoCenter issue

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello. I have two questions I would appreciate some advice with. I'm using Orbiter 2016 with TransX 2018.05.06 MMExt2. First, with TransX: I have been from Earth to Mars several times using TransX, but I don't seem to understand the setup for the initial trans-Mars injection burn. I've watched numerous tutorials, and copied step for step the procedures, but for some reason my initial injection burn is very inaccurate. By the time I get to my midcourse correction, I almost always require a Delta V burn in the order of 2k. I think the main issue is that I'm not properly aligned with Mars prior to the burn. Any tips? Also, if I use the AutoCenter feature, I seem to get a stuck RCS thruster, and also cannot engage any autopilot mode (prograde, retrograde, orbit +/-). I've turned AutoCenter off and maneuver off, but the stuck thruster won't go away. If I use rotation RCS to change the orientation, the ship will return to the original orientation (If I don't engage AutoCenter, I do not have the stuck thruster issue).Again, both maneuver and AutoCenter are off. Any suggestions? Thank you.

llarian

Reaction score
Take a look at the series of tutorials prepared by David Courtney with dgatsoulis. They use IMFD for most of the preparation and burns with TransX to support the setup.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
I have been from Earth to Mars several times using TransX, but I don't seem to understand the setup for the initial trans-Mars injection burn.

Can you perform "Moon to Earth" flight using TransX?
Both "Moon to Earth" and "Earth to Mars" flight require the same techniques. But "Moon to Earth" is much easier to do.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAeebh-cMaI"]Orbiter 2010 - [Part 34] Absolute Beginner Guide - Learning TransX - Moon → Earth - YouTube[/ame]

Also, if I use the AutoCenter feature, I seem to get a stuck RCS thruster, and also cannot engage any autopilot mode (prograde, retrograde, orbit +/-).

What spaceship do you use? IIRC Auto-center won't work with DGIV.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses. I have watched many of David Courtney's TransX videos, including the ones with Dimitris. Very good videos, and they walk you through everything pretty well. I can get from the earth to the moon with TransX no problem, but I wonder if my errors don't show up simply due to the shorter distance involved. I just feel there's one major step I'm omitting, one important concept I'm getting backwards. Eventually I'll figure it out. As far as the Auto-center issue, I've been using the XR-2. The system works fine, it just seems to not turn off even after both Autocenter and maneuver are turned off. If you go to 10X time acceleration you can watch the RCS fuel burn down. I've just stopped using it and align the ship manually. Thanks again for the help.