New Release Travelmap MFD

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Download here: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=f01c6f7e-884e-4373-9834-0e8a8663e582

Travelmap1.png

A simple (but hopefully useful) MFD, displaying the historic trajectory of your spacecraft. Especially useful for your gravity assist flights, slingshots, Moon free-return trajectories, or any other orbit manipulations.

Updated January 30th 2021 so that it no longer requires the latest redistributables.

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Oh! That's cool.

Can it save plots/data?

I'll check it out later when I'm home.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now it can @n72.75 .

201122_145822_Sun_1.328e+09km.png

Press SAV button (or shift+S), and a SVG figure and a txt file are created, located in the ORBITER_ROOT\Images\Travelmap folder.
I've also included a Python script in the ORBITER_ROOT\Orbitersdk\samples\asbjos\Travelmap folder that makes a 3D plot of the text file.

The SVG file takes gradient setting, scale and projection into consideration.

File name is format YYMMDD_hhmmss_RefBody_TotalDistance.svg/txt

Granted, SVG is not the most user friendly image format (they can not be displayed on Orbiter-Forum, for example), but there are about a million online free image converters, so that should not pose a big problem.

The update is live on Orbithangar.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Now it can @n72.75 .

View attachment 23336

Press SAV button (or shift+S), and a SVG figure and a txt file are created, located in the ORBITER_ROOT\Images\Travelmap folder.
I've also included a Python script in the ORBITER_ROOT\Orbitersdk\samples\asbjos\Travelmap folder that makes a 3D plot of the text file.

The SVG file takes gradient setting, scale and projection into consideration.

File name is format YYMMDD_hhmmss_RefBody_TotalDistance.svg/txt

Granted, SVG is not the most user friendly image format (they can not be displayed on Orbiter-Forum, for example), but there are about a million online free image converters, so that should not pose a big problem.

The update is live on Orbithangar.
I love it! Thanks.

Paraso

Reaction score
Amazing mod, is there anything I can do on my end to make it work with orbiter beta? If not, would you be able to?

Paraso

Reaction score
Just a couple more things while I was at it acually.
1: Would it be possible to add an option to choose how often the plot points are placed? The frequency right now makes polygons with sides that are actually inside of the planet when in lower orbits.
2: If possible, would it be feasible to have the travel map saved when you save a scenario, so that when you load a scenario its the same as when you left it?
3: Is it possible to make a map mode that tracks your vessel?

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sure, keep the suggestions coming! (I'll tag you, in case this post flies under your radar. @Paraso)

1. Yes, I agree that the current solution is too simple. I will have to think about how to do this better (I'm imagining an automatic sample rate based on orbit speed and distance from reference. But will have to experiment with the specifics of it).
2. Possible: yes. Feasible: I don't know. Saving the track stores up to several thousands of coordinates. Saving this to a scenario file will get ugly and probably cause the scenario saving process to take some time (reading and writing up to 10000 lines from/to a file). Maybe it could log every 10 points (a quasi low fidelity rendition)? Again: will have to look into it.
3. Do you mean to keep the center onto your vessel, or to track a target vessel in addition to your own? The first one is definitely easier than the second. But as there is no easy zoom option, I don't know how useful it is (please convince me the contrary!)

Paraso

Reaction score
Sure, keep the suggestions coming! (I'll tag you, in case this post flies under your radar. @Paraso)

1. Yes, I agree that the current solution is too simple. I will have to think about how to do this better (I'm imagining an automatic sample rate based on orbit speed and distance from reference. But will have to experiment with the specifics of it).
2. Possible: yes. Feasible: I don't know. Saving the track stores up to several thousands of coordinates. Saving this to a scenario file will get ugly and probably cause the scenario saving process to take some time (reading and writing up to 10000 lines from/to a file). Maybe it could log every 10 points (a quasi low fidelity rendition)? Again: will have to look into it.
3. Do you mean to keep the center onto your vessel, or to track a target vessel in addition to your own? The first one is definitely easier than the second. But as there is no easy zoom option, I don't know how useful it is (please convince me the contrary!)
Hi, thanks for your response.
Despite the tag (which I appreciate) I saw no notifications on my end, which is odd :LOL:

1. I'll leave it to you but that does sound like a good solution, certainly prevents the mfd from having an insane amount of coordinates without the need for a bunch of them.
2. You've added the save function to the mfd, but would it be possible to add a load function which allows you to load previously saved travel maps? So say for example you save the travelmap and then save the scenario, then you quit and load up said scenario (in which the travelmap has no tracking history as usual) but this time there's a button which allows you to load a travel map (either through opening file explorer or some sort of ui within the mfd which connects to a folder, if orbiter even allows for any of this). Then you'd have to have the mfd continue tracking like normal as if the coordinates you just loaded were a part of the current session.
3. The first one, keep the center onto the vessel. I personally think the current radius function in the mfd works well enough to be used as a zoom function with vessel tracking. I think it would make some situations better to track, for example during transit from say one body to another and you want to have both bodies in view.