Tricks on LEO,with DGIV

a_boy

Reaction score
Just want to hear what do You think:

in LEO orbit on DGIV, is equal in effect (maybe not equal in power) next operations:

Near DN (for orbit Align) "Prograde"+"Hover" = "+NML" + "Main Burn" ???

I think Yes, it's not a standart maneuver, I didn't read about this thing in manuals, but I Think I can remember situation when I must to make RInc from 10 to 0, but I had no time (no wanna wait until next AN or DN) to turn in -NML/+NML position,I was in "prograde", so Hover Burn helped me.

As I said the difference is in power and time needed to complete align step, because MAX(main) is a bigger then MAX(hover). ;)

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
I think you are correct, you need to point thrust vector in the + plane normal, be it the main engines or the hover.
However you still need to be near the node for it to be efficient.

a_boy

Reaction score
btw, is Align Plane MFD oriented for main thrusters? I mean time in wich appears text - "ENGAGE ENGINE" near node (from before Node until a few seconds after Node).
I understood what will be with my orbit, but just: How SyncMFD calculate time for text "Engage Engine" when it must appear and disappear.

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
When calculating the burn time, AlignPlanesMFD assumes you will be using Main Engines at full thrust. It's not perfectly accurate, I suspect it doesn't accurately consider fuel usage (and resulting mass reduction)