U.S pilot requirements?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering what all the requirements are to be a fighter pilot in the U.S Air Force. Its all I've really wanted to do. I know its extremely hard to do too and requirements may seem endless. Any response would be appreciated. And any tips would be great too. Thanks! :thumbup:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
To begin with, I would bet a perfect sight is required. Also an excellent overall health condition.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Well i have overall better than perfect vision (20/15);) And im in pretty dang good health condition. No allergies or diseases other than eczema that is really mild even in its worse cases.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Why not ask them here?

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

To begin with, I would bet a perfect sight is required. Also an excellent overall health condition.

Perfect site isn't required although many Millitary pilots in the US have undergone LASIK vision correction.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
You have to pass a class I flying physical http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/l/blflymenu.htm

I wanted to fly for the AF, but my asthma is what would be disqualifying. I found out the Navy is slightly less selective, ironically. I probably can't become a pilot, but now my goal is to become a NFO. To fly for any branch of the military, you have to be a commisioned officer, and have at least a bachelor's, preferably in math, science, or engineering. You can get commisioned through OTS (a 12 week program), ROTC (a program throughout college) or the Air Force Academy.

Last edited:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
You have to pass a class I flying physical http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/l/blflymenu.htm

I wanted to fly for the AF, but my asthma is what would be disqualifying. I found out the Navy is slightly less selective, ironically. I probably can't become a pilot, but now my goal is to become a NFO. To fly for any branch of the military, you have to be a commisioned officer, and have at least a bachelor's, preferably in math, science, or engineering. You can get commisioned through OTS (a 12 week program), ROTC (a program throughout college) or the Air Force Academy.

Thanks!:thumbup: I read through the physical and looked up A LOT of stuff and it looks like im in good shape. I have no asthma luckily. And im guessing mechanical engineering would be a good major for this. (which is what i kind of planned for anyways). And by the way, good luck with becoming a NFO!
:tiphat:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind too is that you don't have to join the military in order to be a pilot. I was very much looking into the Air Force Academy when I was younger, but a combination of bad eyesight and a realization that I probably wouldn't enjoy the rigors of military life made me change my mind.

Instead I'm a software engineer, and I got a PPL a year and a half or so after graduating from college. I fly on weekends when I get the chance, and am looking into potentially purchasing a plane (which would also allow me to fly during the week after work). I'm still a pilot, but this way I get to enjoy it on my own time and do whatever I want, instead of having it be a job.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
To fly for any branch of the military, you have to be a commisioned officer.

Actually, that is only true of the Air Force, both the Army and the Navy have have helicopter and logistic flight billets for Warrants and Enlisted.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind too is that you don't have to join the military in order to be a pilot. I was very much looking into the Air Force Academy when I was younger, but a combination of bad eyesight and a realization that I probably wouldn't enjoy the rigors of military life made me change my mind.

Instead I'm a software engineer, and I got a PPL a year and a half or so after graduating from college. I fly on weekends when I get the chance, and am looking into potentially purchasing a plane (which would also allow me to fly during the week after work). I'm still a pilot, but this way I get to enjoy it on my own time and do whatever I want, instead of having it be a job.

I know that, and I love to fly period. But im doing this because i want to serve my country. Flying would just be the best way for me to do it.

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I know that, and I love to fly period. But im doing this because i want to serve my country. Flying would just be the best way for me to do it.
If you don't become a military pilot, you could still serve your country as a volunteer pilot for the Civil Air Patrol if you get a PPL (you can't with a sport rating, though). If you're in High School, I strongly recommend checking out the Cadet Program. I've been going to meetings for about two months now, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. They wear Air Force Uniforms (blues and BDUs), so it's kinda like if the Boy Scouts were coed, on steroids, and owned planes. You could even possibly get a PPL for almost free from it.

Check out http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
oh i know, my friend is in the CAP and has been trying to get me to join for months now. However, im debating that or JROTC in my high school.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Remember also that there are a whole lot more people who want to be military pilots than there are open slots for military pilots. If you've got your heart set on being a pilot, the military may not be the best place to do that.

Is your primary goal to "serve your country" with the secondary goal to be a pilot? Then yeah, go for military service.

Is your primary goal to be a pilot with the secondary goal being to serve your country? Stick to civilian.

oh i know, my friend is in the CAP and has been trying to get me to join for months now. However, im debating that or JROTC in my high school.
Go with CAP if you're wanting to fly. CAP has a ton of flying options available to cadets and I highly doubt JROTC can offer the same.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Go with CAP if you're wanting to fly. CAP has a ton of flying options available to cadets and I highly doubt JROTC can offer the same.
I second that statement. Some of my friends from CAP are also in JROTC. I also have a friend from Boy Scouts who goes to a military high school, where the military program is run by JROTC.

CAP's 3 missions are Cadet Programs (the part that's like JROTC), Emergency Services (i.e. SAR missions) and Aerospace Education (a lot of that is in the cadet program). JROTC is basically there just to help you prepare for the military. Essentially, CAP's cadet program is to teach kids about Aerospace, and JROTC is a recruitment program.

The military stuff you learn in either program is invaluable if you want to enter the service. Even though it is based off of AF traditions, I still think it will be useful when/if I join the Navy.

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
I think that there is a ten year commitment after you complete the training. The Air Force spends multiple millions of dollars just training you as a pilot, so you can't retire once you get tired of it... If you ever get tired of flying fighter jets...

Also, I heard that if you are good enough at flying, even if you have mediocre eyesight, the Air Force will pay for your Lasik eye surgery.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I think that there is a ten year commitment after you complete the training. The Air Force spends multiple millions of dollars just training you as a pilot, so you can't retire once you get tired of it... If you ever get tired of flying fighter jets...

Also, I heard that if you are good enough at flying, even if you have mediocre eyesight, the Air Force will pay for your Lasik eye surgery.

I'm pretty sure its not *just* the air force. You can join other branches with a lowered rank than you would if you had joined the AF.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
You know, I want to thank everybody who posted on this thread. It was very helpful in my career research. Again thank you to everybody who posted.
Cheers!
:cheers:

Jamesep3

Reaction score
I guess I'll just say this after seeing alot of US military bombings it would apear the requirements are A: can fly an aircraft B: Is able to land and take off and C: does know how to use weapons but knowing how to aim or which target to fire on is not required.:facepalm: This would account for all the blue on blue and totaly inacurate bombing the US airforce has done and by far that is a huge number.:thumbsdown:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I guess I'll just say this after seeing alot of US military bombings it would apear the requirements are A: can fly an aircraft B: Is able to land and take off and C: does know how to use weapons but knowing how to aim or which target to fire on is not required.:facepalm: This would account for all the blue on blue and totaly inacurate bombing the US airforce has done and by far that is a huge number.:thumbsdown:
I don't think most of the collateral damage has been from pilots not aiming correctly. It's been from faulty intel that tells the pilots that the good guys are actually bad guys...