OHM UCGO Railroad

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: beep

This addon brings some railroading flavour to Orbiter using the fantastic UCGO resources despite being somewhat restrained within the limitations of a system not devised for multiple units trailing or coupling. Still, it can be very fun , rewarding and relaxing if you pay attention to some basic rules.

Overall, the pack IS more fun oriented  than realism. However, its use will always set a visual and operational improvement in most situations the concept reasonably applies.

At least it's the best night sky among railroad simulators.

NEEDED ADD-ONS

You need UMMU 2.0, UCGO and  OrbiterSound 4.0 from Dan Steph to run this Add-On. Look for them in Dan Steph's  page.

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/

VERSION NOTES

In version 1.1 train sounds were improved with their own vessel sound config and .wav files. A railroad radio chat sample from www.alabamarailfan.com  and  Railroadradio.net is now included. Some minor improvements in mesh material were done.

DOWNLOAD

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting idea. Downloaded, getting ready to try it out...

Let's go make a railroad on Mercury

Heck let's put one on every planet.

Sol Trainnnnnn, baby!

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and incentive.

Sorry for the many english mistakes in the readme. I was very tired.

I corrected and spell-checked most of them but I'd rather wait for more comments before a file update.

Some hints that are not there:

Keep a minimized preset camera window available ( CTRL-F1, select preset and double click in the upper bar) to be able to rapidly change between preset camera locations at the stations and along the line. I usually leave the camera window minimized at the upper corner of the screen. In the given scenario there's a God view camera preset that helps you on acting as a dispatcher. Press F9 to label the trains.

After selecting both trains in sequence using F3, use CTRL-F3 to change between trains.

Last edited:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Adding Working Spotlights to trains

It should be said that using Attachment Manager

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3058"]Attachment[/ame]

it's possible to create attachment points in trains and attach spotlight2's

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5182"]Spotlight 2[/ame]

to illuminate the way at night.

For the AEVMix consist try

Pos: 0 0.5 81.443 (and/or 0 3.2762 77.1624)
Vec: 0 -1 0
Rot: 0 0 1

In the given (small) layout use for the spotlight parameters

Range : 750m
Spread : 30 dg.

Do not yaw the spots and only pitch them carefully for best results.

Beep

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Amazing. A hearty thankyou sir to the author.

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Illuminating the way ahead using Lua Scripts

Some hints:

Check OH for the Lua Scripts in the UCGO Railroad pack that can bring you some light concerning night railroading.:)

Look for instructions on how to activate them in the add-on readme and in Orbiter Lua documentation. Also check for some instructions on how to specify ambient sounds for your layout using the new Orbitersound 4.0.

Also, notice some mesh measures for the tunnel and signs to avoid unapropriate specular reflections when using light emitting sources. Rail visibility at night is also made easier by mesh material handling.

Rgds,

Beep

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
VERSION 1.1 Release

Version 1.1 was released.

This version improves sounds as allowed by OS 4.0 new resources (Tks Dan!). I also included a Railroad radio channel with samples from internet sources ( see doc.)

You may not look very rational with a notebook in one hand and shaking your window with the other but the result pays :).

This is offered with a look on adequating to what is to come so do not bypass it. It can be just installed over the previous version replacing the files with the same name with the new ones.

Rgds

Beep

Last edited:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Trans Mari Railroad alpha is in OH

Those who liked this add-on may be interested in trying the Moon version.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6114"]Moon Trans Mari Railroad .01 ALPHA[/ame]

I managed to produce a full 2000km railroad from one point (UMMU 2.0 Demo) to the other (Brighton Beach) in 420 bases.

Also, I'm developing a Lua script to keep train in tracks and show cab signals and messages.

I'd appreciate if an advanced user ( there's a risk of damaging your Orbiter system if you don't know how to look for and delete base files ) could report anything about his or her impressions and problems.

Beep