Project UCSO development thread

WolfAngriff

Reaction score
Hello.

I've played with the Deepstar 3.1 addon, which uses UCSO cargos. Then, 80MilesHigh created astonauts, as UCSO parts. So, i have an idea. I don't know if it's a good one, but i'd like to share it, at least to know if the idea is good or not. It's not a request. UCSO and Deepstar 3.1 are great addons as they are.

OK, it could be simply funny, nothing more. But, i think it's possible to pack the astronauts in a seated position (with another spacesuit, why not), grappeled on a seat of the cockpit. Using the aerolander from Deepstar 3.1, for example, it could be a good thing to take the astronauts' mass in count, and it would be fun to see the cockpit peopled in F8 view. It would be a special UCSO cargo, which is packed seated and unpacked in EVA. and even two types of cargos : one able to walk on the ground, another to make spacewalks. Player must choose which one to load depending on the mission. Etc. That's all. I don't even know if it's possible or not, it's just an idea i wanted to share. If it's a good idea, i think it could be applied in other addons and missions. If it's not a good idea, just tell me. :cheers:

Thank you for UCSO !

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello.

I've played with the Deepstar 3.1 addon, which uses UCSO cargos. Then, 80MilesHigh created astonauts, as UCSO parts. So, i have an idea. I don't know if it's a good one, but i'd like to share it, at least to know if the idea is good or not. It's not a request. UCSO and Deepstar 3.1 are great addons as they are.

OK, it could be simply funny, nothing more. But, i think it's possible to pack the astronauts in a seated position (with another spacesuit, why not), grappeled on a seat of the cockpit. Using the aerolander from Deepstar 3.1, for example, it could be a good thing to take the astronauts' mass in count, and it would be fun to see the cockpit peopled in F8 view. It would be a special UCSO cargo, which is packed seated and unpacked in EVA. and even two types of cargos : one able to walk on the ground, another to make spacewalks. Player must choose which one to load depending on the mission. Etc. That's all. I don't even know if it's possible or not, it's just an idea i wanted to share. If it's a good idea, i think it could be applied in other addons and missions. If it's not a good idea, just tell me. :cheers:

Thank you for UCSO !
This is a great idea! It's possible to do this, but for seeing the pilots in the external view, it will require rendering the 3D cockpit while in external view. Currently, a dummy 3D cockpit is used while in external view. This is done to improve performance. If you loaded the all vessels scenario for example while drawing the internal cockpit of each vessel, you will experience a heavy performance loss.
This also requires essentially a mesh rebuild because the current Deepstar vessel meshes don't allow this (it's not possible to render both external and internal meshes at the same time) as they don't overlap correctly. This will require a good amount of work by 80mileshigh.

There is no need to separate between walking on ground or in space, they can be both in the same astronaut. For walking on the ground, this can be done relatively easily. But for walking in space, that requires having RCS thrusters, so some extra work.

Overall, it can be done. The problem is that with school I barely have any time, but I will work on this when I have time to do so. Don't expect it to happen soon though.

WolfAngriff

Reaction score
Hello. Thanx for your answer. Good to know the idea was good ! :) I didn't expect more. As i said, it's not a request, so don't worry about me. If i've given you some inspiration, it's great !