TransX Understanding eject orientation

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I can get anywhere in the solar system and very accurately using trans-x, but only after I have entered orbit and adjusted my Rinc from orbit. I can't seem to grasp or conceptualize how to use trans-x to launch on the proper azimuth to decrease Rinc error. It is probably some kind of mental block but hey that is what this forum is for. I especially don't understand how eject inclination works and I'm sure that is the key from all the tutorials I have looked at. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Atuhalpa.

Tommy

Reaction score
Section 6.5 of the Transx manual (page 7) tells you how to do this. You need to be in view 3 of the escape plan page. Take note of the heading displayed (it won't be shown after you launch), and take off when the grey line is near your actual position. Once airborne, adjust the heading as needed to reduce the RIn (which is only shown after launch). Note that it will decrease quite a bit on it's own as you gain velocity - if it stops decreasing or starts increasing you need to turn to get it to reduce again.

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Thanks Tommy. I went back and played with a couple launches and I really paid attention. I understand how it works now. the addition of the little normal and antinormal indicators in trans-x really help also.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
In the same place where transx tells you your heading for launch, it also tells you the inclination and LAN of the orbit.

You can use those two parameters with LaunchMFD to get to your desired orbit. Bring up LaunchMFD, select target and input first Inc. and then LAN separated by a space. Then just follow on-screen instructions from launchmfd :p

Happy Orbiting