Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
breakup-corpped.jpg

==UNIVERSAL BREAKUP==
== BY BJ ==

Universal Breakup makes every vessel in Orbiter breakup when subjected to extreme pressures.
Your ship WILL breakup when;

• Hull is subjected to extreme temperatures
  • High G-force load on the ship (anything over 6 G’s will destroy your ship)
  • Touchdown speed is greater than ~3 m/s (depends on your ship weight)

I will like to thank Mindblast for the use of his hull heating code; I would not have been able to do that without him.

I also like to thank TL8 and Tex for giving it a test run.
Thanks, and happy Orbiting :cheers:

Download at Orbiter hangar here

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Holy :censored:!!! Just destroyed a XR-1 :lol:. Just one thing: my Orbiter crashed when I got from the XR-1 landing scenario to the main window. I have IMFD, TransX, ScnEditor and OrbiterSound activated.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That's a nice addon, but isn't 6gs a little too low? Many aircraft and spacecraft can pull more gs than that. Wouldn't it feasible to customize g-tolerance levels based on the spacecraft model? I suppose a Shuttle-A and a DG-like craft would have pretty different tolerances.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Holy :censored:!!! Just destroyed a XR-1 :lol:. Just one thing: my Orbiter crashed when I got from the XR-1 landing scenario to the main window. I have IMFD, TransX, ScnEditor and OrbiterSound activated.

So your saying that you had a XR-1 and when you closed Orbiter, it crashed?

Thats odd, Ill check it out. Thanks for telling me. :cheers:

That's a nice addon, but isn't 6gs a little too low? Many aircraft and spacecraft can pull more gs than that. Wouldn't it feasible to customize g-tolerance levels based on the spacecraft model? I suppose a Shuttle-A and a DG-like craft would have pretty different tolerances.

Yes I could do that, It shouldn't take me too long to whip that up. :)

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Actually I had a destroyed XR-1, but yes, it crashed when I exited to the main window

myles

Reaction score
Pretty nice. When launching Shuttle Fleet 4.0.6, The SRB's and ET disentigrates automatically, and CTD when deliberately putting too many G's on the shuttle. Just a report. It's pretty awesome otherwise. You could fix the packaging for easier extraction.

Balladeer

Reaction score
I'm unable to get universal breakup to work. I activated the module and tested out the scenario but the shuttle A doesn't breakup. I also tried the dynasoar coming in at high speeds and nothing happened. Could someone tell me what I'm missing? Thanks.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
When launching Shuttle Fleet 4.0.6, The SRB's and ET disentigrates automatically, and CTD when deliberately putting too many G's on the shuttle. Just a report. It's pretty awesome otherwise.

I am guessing a system as complex as the Shuttle Fleet probably is retaining some handles that suddenly get 'deleted' there-for CTD. I'll look for a work around, maybe I'll just have to disable the Shuttle Fleet.

As for the SRBs, I think when the SRBs get released, they put on too many rotational Gs. Ill fix the SRBs and ET.

I just thought of it though, now people (when launching the shuttle) will be able to actually simulate the ET breakup :speakcool:

You could fix the packaging for easier extraction.

Fix the packaging? How so?

I'm unable to get universal breakup to work. I activated the module and tested out the scenario but the shuttle A doesn't breakup. I also tried the dynasoar coming in at high speeds and nothing happened. Could someone tell me what I'm missing? Thanks.

May I ask what FPS are you running at? Tex had the same thing happen and I thought I cleared it up. Could you try re-entering the ISS? For sure that should break up.

myles

Reaction score
Fix the packaging? How so?

You need to take everything out of that main folder so that way when you download it, there are the scenario folders, config, etc. You don't need the main folder. Sorry if you don't understand.

Balladeer

Reaction score
My framerates on this computer are generally around 30 depending on the addon's complexity. I get less fps with AMSO for example. I managed to shove teh ISS out of orbit and then sped up time just until she was ready to go throught the atmosphere. All I get still is the default re-entry affects and no break up.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
My framerates on this computer are generally around 30 depending on the addon's complexity. I get less fps with AMSO for example. I managed to shove teh ISS out of orbit and then sped up time just until she was ready to go throught the atmosphere. All I get still is the default re-entry affects and no break up.

Ok thanks, I was able to recreate it and I got the same result. Raising FPS to 60 helps ;)

I will (hopefully) fix the issue. Thanks for alerting me

:cheers:

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
I'm having the same problem as Balladeer. This add-on does not appear to do anything at all.

Obvious pitfalls I've avoided:
I put the add-on in the appropriate folders; I didn't dump the "Universal Breakup" folder into the Orbiter directory.
I also enabled UniversalBreakup on the plug-ins tab in the launch pad. (And it was there; see previous sentence).

So, nothing is obviously wrong, but nothing happens. I can pull infinite G's, I can crash the SH-A in the sample scenario with no effect, ill or otherwise...
Any ideas?

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I'm having the same problem as Balladeer. This add-on does not appear to do anything at all.

Obvious pitfalls I've avoided:
I put the add-on in the appropriate folders; I didn't dump the "Universal Breakup" folder into the Orbiter directory.
I also enabled UniversalBreakup on the plug-ins tab in the launch pad. (And it was there; see previous sentence).

So, nothing is obviously wrong, but nothing happens. I can pull infinite G's, I can crash the SH-A in the sample scenario with no effect, ill or otherwise...
Any ideas?

Its not a problem of your skills at windows commands (copy and past), its (I think) more of a problem from difference in computer performance, but mostly my lack of programming skills ;)

I am fixing it now, and everyone that has said they had a problem with the addon I will send them a PM with a copy of the updated version to make sure that the program is successfully working. I will hopefully will fix all the problems by the next release.

:cheers:

Cornflake

Reaction score
I'm also having the same problem where the module seems to do nothing when activated. I even unzipped a 100% fresh base orbiter package, with nothing but Universal Breakup. It still didn't work :( And I made sure all files were copied properly, the module was active, etc.

Note that this is on a powerful system; I was maintaining above 70 FPS the whole time (simple scenarios, like DGIV takeoff). So I really don't know if it's correlated to the FPS or not.

I had similar issues with Computerex's OrbSonicBoom randomly not working at times (even on a fresh install). Although UB hasn't worked for me at all.

I'd be happy to test the newer version and see what the results are :)

dallatorretdu

Reaction score
same for me, it don't work....
i don't like the damange sistem i'm current using...