O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Greetings again all!

When you logged on the forum today you probably noticed 'Unread Posts' displayed in the welcome block similar to the screen shot below:

unread-posts1.jpg

We made a change to the settings which now uses the database to determine what has been read. This means that in order for a thread to be marked as read you must physically view the thread. The 'Unread Posts' is counting all posts in a thread, so if the thread is multiple pages, but you only viewed some of those pages, then it would still show unread posts in that thread. Due to the settings change you will likely have a huge amount of posts shown as unread. In that case we recommend you mark all forums read by locating the link under the New Posts menu after you've read through the posts you want to see:

unread-posts2.jpg

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Even having viewed a thread (specifically a newly added addon) it does not always seem to agree that you've read it!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Has been the same with the cookies too.
So far I noticed no problem.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The 'Unread Posts' is counting all posts in a thread, so if the thread is multiple pages, but you only viewed some of those pages, then it would still show unread posts in that thread. Also, if you ever hit the back button after viewing a page then it doesn't update the page so it would still be shown as unread.

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it possible to disable this function (unread post counter)in user's profile?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
That is not possible. It is a vital part for many forum users, so there is no option (yet).
But I find it quite easy to ignore :p

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, i can check the forum for a moment, see that there are a hundred new threads marked as unread since my last visit last year, close the browser, come back a week later, and they still will be marked as unread?
Or, is it slightly different?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The list will be divided in two parts.
On top you have the threads that have been updated since your last visit, after that is a one line notice saying "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." and all the other posts you have not yet viewed for a year and a week follow.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Is it possible to disable this function (unread post counter)in user's profile?

No I'm sorry, there is no end user option to change this, only a master setting on the back-end.

So, i can check the forum for a moment, see that there are a hundred new threads marked as unread since my last visit last year, close the browser, come back a week later, and they still will be marked as unread?
Or, is it slightly different?

Allow me to clarify a bit more. When you visit the forum you will see 'XX Unread Posts' in the welcome block. The number of unread posts is referring to actual posts, not threads. For example, say 7 new replies were posted in the same thread since you last viewed that thread, then the unread post count would increase by 7. Another example, let's say 21 new replies were posted in a few different threads since you last viewed them which would increase the unread post count by 21. When you click the Unread Posts link it gives you a list of all the threads that contain unread posts. In order to mark those posts as read you must view the thread in which those posts are located. If the thread has multiple pages then the thread itself won't be marked as read until you view each page in that thread that contains unread posts.

*Any posts not read within 10 days of the post date will automatically be marked as read.

Using myself as an example: I visit the forum and I see something like '65 Unread Posts'. I click the link and start reading through the threads I want to see. Once I've looked through all of the Unread Posts that I care to see I 'Mark Forums Read' before leaving the forum. The link to mark forums read can be found on the top of the site under the 'New Posts' menu. If you mark everything read before you leave the site, upon your return all of the Unread Posts shown will be new posts since your last visit. If you don't mark forums read before you leave the site then it's just as TSPenguin explained. New posts since your last visit will be listed on the top of the Unread Posts search while posts that still remain unread, but have not been updated since your last visit are listed under those. This is why marking forums read after you've looked at everything you care to see is necessary if you don't want to see the posts you didn't read still marked as unread. ;)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused here, I don't see any of my new posts appearing unless I use the "Todays posts" selection.

This is inside threads I started. Does it not count if I post in my "own" threads?

Thanks, n.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm a bit confused here, I don't see any of my new posts appearing unless I use the "Todays posts" selection.

This is inside threads I started. Does it not count if I post in my "own" threads?

Thanks, n.

That would be correct. Using the 'Unread Posts' link from the welcome block only shows unread posts. If you just posted something, then it's not considered unread for you. However, if someone else replies in the thread after you did, then it's updated with unread posts. If you need to find your own threads that have no unread posts since you last viewed them, then you can either use Today's Posts or from the UserCP menu select 'My Topics' or 'My Replies' for a complete list of only your topics and replies. ;)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Is "Mark Forums Read" not supposed to clear also unread status of projects, or is it a feature? I noticed in Orbiter Beta project, that I need to double click on project_forum_new icon, or read unread posts in project, to set read status of new posts there.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Is "Mark Forums Read" not supposed to clear also unread status of projects, or is it a feature? I noticed in Orbiter Beta project, that I need to double click on project_forum_new icon, or read unread posts in project, to set read status of new posts there.

The projects are not part of the post table so in order to mark those read you must view each unread issue or from the projects page use the 'Project Tools' drop down menu to mark all as read. :thumbup:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another thing is that the threads isn't marked as read in the latest posts field on the index page. Other than that, it works fine here. Haven't noticed anything odd.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Another thing is that the threads isn't marked as read in the latest posts field on the index page. Other than that, it works fine here. Haven't noticed anything odd.

I noticed this too, the stats box on the home page still seems to be using the cookie/inactivity based marking system. I checked the options for that modification, but didn't see any way to change it to database marking. I'm actually very surprised that doesn't use the forum read options, though this is not the first issue we've run into with that mod.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
JFYI, it is possible for an unread post to be counted, that's not actually visible.

This is the [relatively] rare situation of a forum in which you cannot view other peoples threads. If someone posts to one of those threads, it will get counted, but you will not be able to see it. This is known about, but is very difficult to take account of - even vb doesnt bother, the forum will [incorrectly] show you the "contains new posts" icon, and the last post stats are hidden by the word "Private" as they would also be wrong.

In our case this is caused from the 'Submit An Article' forum. Once we review any article submitted however, it is moved to the appropriate articles section where you would then be able to read it and mark it as read.