OHM Videnie orbit drawing 1.0

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
I missed this feature in orbiter, it has to be a standard normally! Every good space simulation has this feature, like Celestia and Redshift. Its important to see, how exentric and how is the angle of an orbit to the ecliptic ect.
Its very usefull too for orientation in strange star systems, i had problems before with it. Very thank you!!!!

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, i have no idea what is causing this.
First, please try again with today's version.
If that does not work, please try a debug version below:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/videnie-101005_dbg.zip
Which would hopefully produce a more detailed log.

My best guess is that your video drivers/DX libs don't like something i'm doing.
Does anyone else have a similar problem?
Here's what I found. - People with Data Execution Prevention turned on for all applications, i.e. "/NoExecute=OptOut", should have the same problem with videnie as me (for both debug and release modules). Though there is no information from DEP, that code was being tried to be executed from non-executable page, it's the cause of 3D environment not being initialized correctly.

I excluded Orbiter from DEP and videnie works fine since then. I guess some parts of hooked functions might be in non-executable page, maybe something is wrong with memory protection mode set by VirtualProtect.

For now I will leave Orbiter excluded from DEP (at least until I don't write any code for it), but there should be other solution than this.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Am afraid that switching off DEP is not an option. Can tolerate a CTD at exit, though.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like this version; much easier to tell which orbits are of the local planet's moons and which are from planets further off.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, the version 101005 is better - thanks for the different color for moon orbits.

No CTD with "normal use" of "Panning Mode"

Two points to mention:
1. "Panning" mode - if the simulation is closed while "Panning Mode" is ON, then videnie module is disabled in OrbiterLaunchpad, then restart the (current state).scn, it gives a CTD.

Of course this is expected, since the "Target" vessel is saved in the (current state).scn, but it cannot access the videnie.dll (now disabled).

If possible, the "Target" vessel should not be saved to the (current state).scn.

I don't understand why the "Target" vessel is neccesary (but I'm sure you have a good reason to do it this way!) - When making the Vega spacecraft "camera-tracking" function, I had to make some code to stop this panning effect when in external view - so I think it may be possible to implement this effect without using an extra vessel.

EDIT: Cannot reproduce the following bug (2) any more!!
2. Every time, after using Videnie and exiting the simulation, when the Orbiter Launchpad is closed I get an error message(but it doesn't cause any problems):
vdn2.gif

The technical details report are attached to this post.

Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• 6c6f_appcompat.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
1. "Panning" mode - if the simulation is closed while "Panning Mode" is ON, then videnie module is disabled in OrbiterLaunchpad, then restart the (current state).scn, it gives a CTD.

Of course this is expected, since the "Target" vessel is saved in the (current state).scn, but it cannot access the videnie.dll (now disabled).

If possible, the "Target" vessel should not be saved to the (current state).scn.

I don't understand why the "Target" vessel is neccesary (but I'm sure you have a good reason to do it this way!) - When making the Vega spacecraft "camera-tracking" function, I had to make some code to stop this panning effect when in external view - so I think it may be possible to implement this effect without using an extra vessel.
I don't think it's connected to target vessel at scenario file at all. Can you reproduce it, if you close the Orbiter Launchpad after disabling videnie, and then restart Orbiter again? Because I can't.

It's rather connected to the fact that state of Orbiter isn't restored when you disable videnie module, grhook.dll is still loaded and functions may still be hooked, but there is no longer videnie.dll loaded. You need to close the Launchpad after disabling videnie and restart Orbiter again.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@Artlav
The bug in point (2) of my previous post has gone!! Now, I can't reproduce it.

@Orb
Ah, OK, I see what you mean. It's quite confusing!

For your info, my Orbiter Shutdown Option is the default:
"De-allocate memory and display launchpad dialog"

Here's two tests I ran with the "Panning Mode" vessel:

Test1
Code:
1. Open Launchpad
2. Enable Videnie Module
3. Open "Navigation - Sun Sync Orbit" .scn
4. "Panning Mode" ON
5. Exit scenario
6. Exit Launchpad

7. Open Launchpad
8. Disable Videnie Module
9. Open "(current state)" scn (includes "Target" vessel)
Scenario does not run -> CTD
"Orbiter has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Test2
Code:
1. Open Launchpad
2. Enable Videnie Module
4. "Panning Mode" ON
5. Exit scenario
6. Exit Launchpad

7. Open Launchpad
8. Disable Videnie Module
9. Exit Launchpad

10. Open Launchpad (Videnie Module already disabled)
11. Open "(current state)" scn (includes "Target" vessel)
OK - Scenario runs normally with "Target" vessel

And just to confuse things further, a simple test to disable the Videnie module after running a scenario gives me a CTD, procedure as follows:

Test3
Code:
1. Open Launchpad
2. Enable Videnie Module
4. Exit scenario
5. Disable Videnie Module
CTD - "Orbiter has encountered a problem and needs to close"
(when opening the Launchpad again, Videnie module has not been disabled)

OK, hope this is some help to you!

Cheers,
Brian

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Amazing work!

I've tried it, and there were almost no problems. All I found was that the very first time I ran it, orbits of outer planets were looking as if they were on highly eccentric hyperbolic orbits :)facepalm:) but after starting another scenario, they looked perfectly normal. Also, the first time panning mode caused a CTD upon activation, but again, the next time it worked fine. And when it did, I thought that it's exactly what Orbiter needed.

Conclusion: After several days of work, we'll have to tell Martin to include this in the next Orbiter version.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with planet orbits being drawn over planets even when they're supposed to be hidden? (All other orbits are hidden properly.)

This was a part of spaceway I thought was direly missed in Orbiter. Thanks. :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Anyone else have a problem with planet orbits being drawn over planets even when they're supposed to be hidden? (All other orbits are hidden properly.)...
I've just reinstalled a fresh 100830 Orbiter with NO addons whatsoever (not even OrbiterSound), NO active modules, only latest Videnie 101005.
I've launched the standard "Navigation -> Special orbits -> Sun-synchronous orbit", and I think I'm having the same problem (see first 2 screenshots).

...If you start Orbiter without module on, enable then disable the module right away , and start a scenario, would there be a CTD?
And I keep on having this CTD, too. Always at same offset (see third screenshot), don't know wether it's a clue of something or not.
(Win XP SP3)

Attachments

• vid - orbiter 2010-10-06 21-53-47-89.jpg
    vid - orbiter 2010-10-06 21-53-47-89.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 40
  • vid - orbiter 2010-10-06 21-53-58-51.jpg
    vid - orbiter 2010-10-06 21-53-58-51.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 37
  • videnie CTD.jpg
    videnie CTD.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
many said:
getting CTD on subsequent scenario starts
Restarting a simulation without closing launchpad is unsupported so far.
I'll try to find a way to support it.

Artlav said:
If you start Orbiter without module on, enable then disable the module right away , and start a scenario, would there be a CTD?
And I keep on having this CTD, too.
Seems to be linked with the restart scenario CTD.
The way this work, you can't just reinitialize it without a program restart.
I would have to redo it from scratch, or get Martins to put it into the core.

Here's what I found. - People with Data Execution Prevention turned on for all applications, i.e. "/NoExecute=OptOut", should have the same problem with videnie as me (for both debug and release modules).
64 bit Win 7 here, turned on DEP, no crashes, no clues. And the only laptop with WinXP in immediate vicinity won't be back from repairs until a few weeks later.
I'll keep an eye for it for the moment.
Might be something simple, might be something else.

if the simulation is closed while "Panning Mode" is ON, then videnie module is disabled in OrbiterLaunchpad, then restart the (current state).scn, it gives a CTD.
Same problem i had with Orulex and other dummy-vessel-exploiting addons - no way to exclude a vessel from a save.

However, there is no need to crash on this thing, actually - i have no idea why i got that idea of using a module for something that could be done by a plain cfg!

Please try this one (enable module first to regenerate the cfg):
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/videnie-101007-pre.zip

Full stop, would you say that again and with details, please?

I've tried it, and there were almost no problems. All I found was that the very first time I ran it, orbits of outer planets were looking as if they were on highly eccentric hyperbolic orbits :)facepalm:) but after starting another scenario, they looked perfectly normal. Also, the first time panning mode caused a CTD upon activation, but again, the next time it worked fine.
Can you reproduce either of them from a clean install?
Was that with 101005 version?
What about 101007 above?

Izack said:
a problem with planet orbits being drawn over planets even when they're supposed to be hidden
There is no Z-buffer for planets in Orbiter, so i have to clip lines manually.
Only the reference body is accounted for, however, for performance reasons.
For planets that's the Sun.

May add an option, if it's worth the lost FPS for somebody.

could it be possible to have a section in the CFG where one could manually override the display parameters for any given-named objects?
On the list.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is no Z-buffer for planets in Orbiter, so i have to clip lines manually.
Only the reference body is accounted for, however, for performance reasons.
For planets that's the Sun.

May add an option, if it's worth the lost FPS for somebody.
I'm fine with it as it is. No one needs to look at planet orbits when near a planet anyway.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have only just discovered this addon. It is truly amazing, well done Artlav! :thumbup: I will certainly be using it when I teach the gravity module for A Level Physics.

Is it still in development or do you consider it finished?

s2k1

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread; I won't do it again....

Does anyone know if Artlav is still working on this?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not at the moment.
Although, seeing it being used in one of the orbiter videos, that's not for long.

btw, i'm still waiting for replies from BrianJ and Rtyh-12.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Artlav, that's good to know. Videnie will be a seriously useful teaching aid and I am already planning a few lessons that will use it.

p.s.

1. I also get the orange hyperbolic planet orbits on first-time run (even with 101007), fine on restarting Orbiter. I think it is something to do with starting a scenario with Videnie disabled but I can't find a consistent pattern.

2. The Precision parameter doesn't seem to have any effect.

3. Playing with Pan mode seems to do odd things to my vessel's orbit. Last time it dumped me back on the launchpad at Havana!

4. I agree with previous posts: this should be part of Orbiter's core.

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Can't believe I haven't tried this yet! Thanks Artlav, great work here. I've been wanting something like this for a long time. :speakcool:

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
pps.

This happened after panning around a lunar transfer orbit. I closed and reopened the scenario and found my orbit rather different!

Attachments

• After_pan.JPG
    After_pan.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Version 0.9 is out.
Still a development version.
Get it here, as usual: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4864"]Videnie orbit drawing 0.9[/ame]

I've revived the thing and fixed some of the more annoying bugs, or so i think.
Also, some more niceties, like exclude selection list.
Please try it again if you had any issues.
And for love of God only report bugs with precise reproduction instructions!

News:
-Exclude list option (Deimos is off by default)
-Possible fixes to some reported CTDs
-Possible fix for DEP issue
-Possible fix to panning CTDs
-Message about panning mode being active
-Message about shutdown mode problems
-No annoying messages option

Satellites of Earth:
videnie-101004-2.jpg

Interplanetary trip:
videnie-101207-1.png

Near Saturn:
videnie-101207-2.png

Pan to look where you go:
videnie-101207-3.png

The Precision parameter doesn't seem to have any effect.
It should change the resolution of the lines.

Playing with Pan mode seems to do odd things to my vessel's orbit. Last time it dumped me back on the launchpad at Havana
How to reproduce reliably?

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, Artlav. I will try it out in the next few days. I will also do my best to reproduce bugs in a controlled way, even though I personally have no god to love! ;)