but isn't that wrong? if you were trying to let the iss catch up
for example, u would do a retrograde burn
but that would make your orbit shorter, therefore
making you go faster than the iss, but doing a PROGRADE
will make your orbit LONGER and therfore
make the iss faster than you, and therefore
the iss will catch you, so why do a retrograde to let the iss catch you,
and vica-versa?

I can't remember what I said in the video, but if ISS is closer in front of me than behind on the MapMFD I know to burn Retrograde, lowering my orbit thereby allowing me to catch ISS. If ISS is closer behind me than in front, then I'd burn Prograde raising my orbit thereby allowing ISS to catch me.

Pound4

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH TEX! That video tutorial was the biggest help EVER! I launched the DG, and although it took quite a bit of time, I eventually docked at the ISS!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
No worries, glad you liked it and glad it helped! I would like to re-do it when I get some time and I had planned on making one for going to the moon and coming back eventually as well. ;)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No worries, glad you liked it and glad it helped! I would like to re-do it when I get some time and I had planned on making one for going to the moon and coming back eventually as well. ;)

I would recommend you include landing on the moon in your tutorial as well, maybe at Brighton Beach (if you weren't already planning to). Then take off from the lunar surface and insert into lunar orbit prior to TEI. That would have helped me greatly in the beginning to see all phases of the Moon-Earth-Moon trip together to understand the concepts.

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Mine downloaded seemingly ok but when I run either part 1 or part 2 it has only audio. The video has the generic music note symbols in the middle of where the video would be. ??
audio.jpg

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Can't download the video.. get an "unexpected end of archive"

EDIT: Watching the youtube version, great tutorial, but you say "basically" waay to much xD

Great job anyhows

Can't find the youtube version. Has it been removed?

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Mine downloaded seemingly ok but when I run either part 1 or part 2 it has only audio. The video has the generic music note symbols in the middle of where the video would be. ??

You need the ffdshow codec pack, here.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually you just need Divx codec.. download it here:

http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/

My bad. ffdshow pack must contain the Divx.

Regarding the autopilots NML(+) and (-), they are known as Orbit Normal and Orbit Anti-Normal, respectively.

The way I always remember which one to use is, AN=Anti-Normal, DN=Definitely Normal

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Actually you just need Divx codec.. download it here:

http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/

Thanks. That did the trick, I see the TexiFilms logo up, now to watch the video....
thanks

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Watched both vids. Nice.
:huh: I had a surprised look on my face when you panned the camera in the glass cockpit (looking for the iss). I had never done that before. I would usually either rotate the ship or go external camera to look around.
I also have not seen those approach to docking HUD boxes. What setting turns them on?

Thanks also, for the nostalgic look back at Align and Synch. For a while now I have only used TransX for those needs.

I have recently played around with CamStudio entertaining the idea of making video TransX tutorials. It is nowhere near the professionaism of your video with your zoom-ins etc. I also have to get a mic to be able to add explanations of the adjustments being done. But getting the resolution traded to make the file small enough has been tough. Capturing just the MFDs I have been able to get it down to about 3 megs per minute of tutorial. :( Your quality vid makes the low budget avi files I've recently made look pretty skimpy.

rob

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
n122vu said:
My bad. ffdshow pack must contain the Divx.

Regarding the autopilots NML(+) and (-), they are known as Orbit Normal and Orbit Anti-Normal, respectively.

The way I always remember which one to use is, AN=Anti-Normal, DN=Definitely Normal

No worries! Thanks for the clarification, I had sort of a brain fart when I made it and couldn't remember the technical terms to save my life! :lol:

Thanks. That did the trick, I see the TexiFilms logo up, now to watch the video....
thanks

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Watched both vids. Nice.
:huh: I had a surprised look on my face when you panned the camera in the glass cockpit (looking for the iss). I had never done that before. I would usually either rotate the ship or go external camera to look around.
I also have not seen those approach to docking HUD boxes. What setting turns them on?

Thanks also, for the nostalgic look back at Align and Synch. For a while now I have only used TransX for those needs.

I have recently played around with CamStudio entertaining the idea of making video TransX tutorials. It is nowhere near the professionaism of your video with your zoom-ins etc. I also have to get a mic to be able to add explanations of the adjustments being done. But getting the resolution traded to make the file small enough has been tough. Capturing just the MFDs I have been able to get it down to about 3 megs per minute of tutorial. :( Your quality vid makes the low budget avi files I've recently made look pretty skimpy.

rob

No problem at all man! I'd love to see some transx video tutorials from you! I've never been able to master it myself yet and they always say a picture or even better a video is worth a thousand words! :)

You might try rendering the video using divx codec if possible as it gives good quality and low file sizes. Some have found other codecs to work better, but I've personally had the best luck with divx. As far as video editors I would recommend Sony Vegas, you can get different versions that don't cost as much as the pro version and its very easy to learn and gives you professional editing capabilities. :speakcool:

Pound4

Reaction score
A video tutorial of a trip from the earth to the moon would be great! Would you use IMFD or TransX?

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Awesome idea for a video tutorial, Tex. I'm very anxious to watch this -- unfortunately I'm at work so download is a no-go. Any chance of you uploading this to YouTube? With their HD option now, it'd be really sweet :)

kevinvr

Reaction score
Thanks for the video's they help a lot.
I still have't been able to dock with ISS yet but I will keep on trying :)

kevinvr

Reaction score
Thanks Tex,
Those videos are great. I have now docked twice with ISS sucsessfully.

Could you do a video on re-entry and landing at KSC with the DGIV?
Have a great week!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks Tex,
Those videos are great. I have now docked twice with ISS sucsessfully.

Could you do a video on re-entry and landing at KSC with the DGIV?
Have a great week!

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad it helped you! Right now I don't have any plans to make another tutorial video in the near future, but it is something I'd like to do again eventually. :cheers:

rthorbur

Reaction score
Hey Tex. Great tutorial. I was finally able to dock with both ISS and MIR using your tutorial as a guide.

One quick question that puzzles me though is that as you were arriving at the space station you had the ship pointing away from the station and then you "looked" in the exact opposite direction (at the station). When I use the arrow keys or the hat on my joystick it will not let me look directly behind the ship while I am in cockpit mode. How did you do that? (tried the manual but to no avail)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey Tex. Great tutorial. I was finally able to dock with both ISS and MIR using your tutorial as a guide.

One quick question that puzzles me though is that as you were arriving at the space station you had the ship pointing away from the station and then you "looked" in the exact opposite direction (at the station). When I use the arrow keys or the hat on my joystick it will not let me look directly behind the ship while I am in cockpit mode. How did you do that? (tried the manual but to no avail)

Thanks mate, glad you liked it. :speakcool:

Try holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse to look behind you. If you want to center the view right quick hit the 'HOME' key. ;)

rthorbur

Reaction score
Tried that. It lets me get close but not all the way to a complete rear view. It stops allowing me to look further back when the complete opposite direction is just barely coming into view.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Tried that. It lets me get close but not all the way to a complete rear view. It stops allowing me to look further back when the complete opposite direction is just barely coming into view.
That is a limitation of the vessel, I think (at least the default DG has that limitation).

rthorbur

Reaction score
That is a limitation of the vessel, I think (at least the default DG has that limitation).

Both the Original DG and DGIV give me the same trouble. Tex is using the DG IV in his tutorial so that isn't the issue. At 6:49 of his 2nd part to his video he somehow looks 180 deg away from the direction of travel in the DGIV.

Is there a config setting maybe that removes this limitation?