Problem vinka DLL site down and other issues

Ruskiwaffle1991

Reaction score
Now what? Some mods don't have the DLL installed with them sometimes so I can't use them. Sometimes add on descriptions in orbiter hangar do not mention the dependencies at all.

Last edited:

Ruskiwaffle1991

Reaction score
To add up, why some rockets sink to the ground and things crash the sim when i try to open the cockpit? Sometimes the controls like aligning to prograde or retrograde just spin the ship and then other stuff. Delta glider EX mod just straight up crashes the game due to reference memory error.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Spacecraft4 (SC3) is compatible with SC2 and SC3. Designed for Orbiter 2010, it works reasonably well with Orbiter 2016.

aircraft.dll is much older, for Orbiter 2006 I think. You need to match addons with orbiter versions. In general, they are incompatible.
Orbiter hangar used to list version information but not anymore...:confused:
I'm afraid you are coming into the simulator at a time when it's dying, with older resources disappearing.:cry:

You might have more luck with the French addon site, it's better maintained:

You can sort by version there, here's a link for O2006 addons:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When things crash. Please post the log. Not sure if you are tryinmg to run older vessels on a new orbiter? Like running a 2010 vessel on 2016,....

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No. this looks like 2006. Orbiter Edition 2006-P1, build 060929. I think 2016 may be 160828?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
There's Orbiter 2006, Orbiter 2010 and Orbiter 2016. They are all different and somewhat imcompatible.
You can install all three, each in a separate folder.

Addons must match the Orbiter version they were designed for, otherwise, they simply crash on loading. Don't expect compatibility, usually, there's none.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
All 2006 patches and all 2006 addons go into the 2006 base folder.
Some files might be overwritten, as sub-folder names are the same (there's no specific addon sub-folder).

ex:

my_addon\config\whatever.cfg
my_addon\meshes\3dmesh.cfg

goes to

orbiter2006\config\whaterver.cfg
orbiter2006\meshes\3dmesh.cfg

It's the same for other versions. All inside the base folder, using the same sub-folder names.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For best compatibility, I think Orbiter 2010 will suffice for you. Almost all older add-ons, including add-ons for Orbiter 2006 will run in Orbiter 2010. Orbiter 2010 also has some of the most popular add-ons.

However, if you want the latest and greatest Orbiter, that is Orbiter 2016. It has the best realism of simulation, and graphics till date. But, some of those previously mentioned popular add-ons have not been updated for Orbiter 2016, causing the issues like phasing into the ground and crashing and glitches. Otherwise, orbiter 2016 is just fine.

Welcome to Orbiter forum. How did you find Orbiter? After getting news of it going open source?

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Hi

Just for info, you can still find Vinka modules here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20131206133940/http://users.swing.be/vinka/

The spacecraft4 module is also (thanks 4throck for the compliment!) ;) here :
http://francophone.dansteph.com/?page=addon&id=202&language=english

Aircraft.dl is too out of date, but if anyone wants it (for a Cretaceous or Late Jurassic version of orbiter) :ROFLMAO: I should have it somewhere...

All vessels that worked with Multistage2 can very easily be changed to "multistage2015" from Fred18 which is made for Orbiter 2016.

Vessels designed for Spacecraft3 or 4 work well with Orbiter 2016 except for a few functions as Abloheet points out (sliding on the ground, and in the event of an ejected payload, it ends up very, very far away)

it is possible to change "spacecraft3 and 4.dll" vessels with Fred18's Vesselbuilder but it requires some work and some understanding of these modules.?

Don't hesitate to ask us, this forum is still very much alive...unlike the French forum which is becoming a bit deserted...??

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
well for some reason there are duplicated files even if i didn't press to keep the files from the base folder
You need to check the folder structure of each addon before extracting, as some include an Orbiter base folder... In such cases, you need to extract the sub-folders manually.

It's not ideal, but you'll find that Orbiter needs some manual tweaking.
Nothing serious, but handling folders and editing a few text-based files by hand is required in order to fully enjoy the sim...