Virtual Space Agencies and OFSS

abr35

Reaction score
Hello!

I saw the orbiter-forum space station project (now in it's third season/incarnation) and I'm curious: what makes it different from VSAs? VSAs seem to fall flat on their face while the OFSS project is running very strong. What is the OFSS doing right?

Thanks!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
:hesaid:

From personal knowledge from my helping out on OFSS II, even having the missions planned out ahead of time, there is still a good bit of work involved. Even with all the scenarios pre-written there are always final tweaks needed before the next flight.

For the project to be a success, it takes a massive amount of dedication on the part of the (for lack of a better title) Mission Director. For the original OFSS it took three people to make it through to completion (AstroSammy, Woo and Tex). The second station was Kyle, with me helping out midway through. And Tex is heading up number three here.

I think with each iteration we learn what we could have done better. And with OFSS it seems the focus is on fun and flyability. Plus, it's wide open, meaning once the scenarios are posted anyone can fly without being a "member". VSA projects seem to be a little more closed off. And as far as I can tell, both types can have problems with pilots not being available (it's called real life), things happen and that's just the way it goes.

There are precious few successful VSA projects going, but it seems they are all private. This helps because there is no in-fighting between directors, no arguments on how realistic to make the missions or which craft to use, and if you've got to suspend ops due to home renovations, newborn baby, angry wife, etc. then there's nobody hounding you for updates/missions etc.
IMHO, the best laid out VSA would be GaryW's. Mine is moving from the back burner to the front (but under low simmer due to vacation soon).

In short, what is OFSS doing right? Get the right overseer, and it appears easy. Jump in blind, find out how hard it is, and your looking to fail.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
And planning those scenarios out also takes a lot of consideration when it comes to clearances, docking modules, and knowing what the space station will look like. I started up OFSS2 and OFSS3 (and let Tex take over, do to my personal lack of time with my then junior year of High School), but if you have the patience, it gets done right.

abr35

Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is I had an idea for a VSA designed to play like Liftoff! or Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space.

Pilots would be divided up into teams (as many as necessary so that everyone gets to fly) with the goal of landing on the moon first. There would need to be a way to model vehicle reliability. Every 2 weeks to a month could represent a turn giving people plenty of time to fly missions without it getting in the way of their real lives. Maybe there could even be back-up crews just in case. I'd also imagine the competitive aspect of it would keep people coming back. From people with experience with these kinda projects how feasible is it? Has it been tried before?